You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Dogwood Ave. Apartments

Real Ghost Stories

Dogwood Ave. Apartments

 

The end of June in 2008, my now ex-husband and I separated. For two weeks I stayed in the income based apartment of a friend and then moved into the same building that she lived in on Dogwood Avenue in Palmer. The first day I spent in my new home, arranging my few belongings, it was deathly quiet. I contributed that to the fact that I no longer lived with my friend, and was alone. I didn't even have my cats as it was a no pet complex. Except that out of the corner of my eye, I could see the flick of a tail and glimpse a paw as something trotted out of the room. I could even hear little kitty claws occasionally sticking in the carpet. After two weeks of no cats at my friend's apartment, I was curious as to why I would see them now. I attributed it to loneliness and left it there.

The first night, however, was nerve wracking. Since it was high summer, we had almost 24 hour daylight - that's Alaska for you, Land of the Midnight Sun. So it wasn't like anyone could have gotten in my apartment in the dark. I was, and am still, a paranoid freak about locking my doors. There weren't enough dark corners to hide in and I had almost no furniture. It was an upstairs apartment so by the time someone could have climbed in an open window, they would have been spotted.

Thusly, hearing the repetitive sound of my refrigerator opening and closing puzzled me. There was no mistaking the sound of the magnated rubber seals around the door of a refrigerator. That sticky "schlock" sound as it opens and the thump and rattle of the door closing and its contents shaking. I couldn't figure out why someone would be in my apartment at 10:30 in the evening, going through my refrigerator. Surely, if they meant to rob me or hurt me, they would have followed the noises I was making as I got ready for bed but no. Whoever was in my apartment was trying to loot my refrigerator!

I grabbed my handgun (In Alaska, you don't need a concealed-carry, thusly, anyone of legal age can possess and carry within the laws) and marched out to my kitchen, determined to give a good scare to whoever was helping themselves to my food.

*As a side note, my bedroom was on the front side of the building, and the kitchen was on the back side. All of the apartments are set up the same, with my across-the-hall neighbor's fridge being on the other side of the wall from mine. The people on the other side of me had their fridge essentially 2 walls away from mine. My downstairs and across-the-hall neighbors weren't home, at this point.*

Upon inspection of the kitchen and then all of the closets, there was no one else in the apartment with me. I went back to bed, chalking my experiences up to exhaustion. For the next half an hour, I listened to the sound of my refrigerator opening and closing. I finally got back up and went out to the kitchen again and managed to catch the act in person. While my fridge door stayed sealed shut, the sound of it being opened and closed repeated itself once again.

Having experienced other freakishly odd things in my parents old house on Soapstone Road (will post on that later), I took a breath and went back to bed.

The next night, the fridge continued on with making its abnormal noises, and was accompanied by the sound of someone walking around in my living room and down the hallway to my bedroom. No one ever came in. The footsteps stopped about 3 paces shy of my bedroom door again, no downstairs neighbor. She didn't start moving in until a week after I did.

As time went on, I accepted the fridge door and footsteps. I had a harder time with doors opening on their own, not two minutes after I had closed them. The door to the water heater closet was in my bedroom. Due to the difficulties I often had in getting it to open, it would surprise me to wake up in the morning and find the door swinging wide open. My sliding closet doors, also somewhat stiff, would be open in the morning or when I came home from work.

It got out of hand when I would put keys in the basket on my entry table, get up for work in the morning, and have no keys at all. I would check everywhere. Finally, it would come to the point that I would have to say something. "Give me back my keys please. Those are mine and I need them. You gotta knock this off." I would go back to where I started looking and wouldn't find the keys in the basket. Instead, they would be swinging merrily on the hook above the basket.

It didn't seem like whatever was there with me was trying to hurt me. If I outright acknowledged them, the missing keys and opening doors would stop for a while. I think whatever was there just wanted to remind someone that they were there. That they had an existence and it deserved to be acknowledged.

Other hauntings by dragonwalker

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dragonwalker, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
*That* I understand! Would be the equivalent of coming home and finding that someone has been rearranging the contents of your cupboards!

See, my theory on the keys being hung vs. Put back in the basket was more like... They hung the keys to let me know they (the ghost (s)) were there. If they were being more ornery or really wanted to see me go bananas or maybe just think I had overlooked my keys, they would have put them back in the basket. I never thought bout it the way you said it... That they put the keys in the "right" place for them! Thanks for that!
Might explain what's going on in my current apartment. I come home and my kitchen light is on. What is on when I leave is usually my entry light. When I get home, they're both on.
Mebbe my man has soaked enough energy in that it's a residual type thing... He's letting me know he's "home", even though he's working on the slope. LOL!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-18)
[at] DeviousAngel:Hello there! Thanks for the warm welcome... It is nice to be back although I still have to make more time for myself!

[at] dragonwalker: yes, I noticed that the objects were "misplaced" according to your "domestic order" but then again I have a suspicion... It is YOU who is placing the keys or any other object in the "wrong" place according to the "old order" if you know what I mean. In the old days, keys were not laying around. They were ALWAYS placed on a hook above the door. Think about it!
dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-13)
Allow me to note, for stickler's sake, that the keys were not put back *exactly* where *I* put them. *I* put them in the basket on the table next to my door. When I made a verbal statement about getting my keys back, they were hung on a hook ABOVE the basket. This happened with little things. Things I could easily misplace but knew I hadn't. If I made a demand or a request my stuff would usually turn up in the general area where I left it, but not in the same *place* that I left it.
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have another story that will hopefully get put up here soon and I would appreciate having your opinion on that as well!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-13)
Sorry to break in on your story here dragonwalker!

Hi rhodes! Glad to see you and some of the other "veterans" here.:)
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-13)
Hi DeviousAngel!

Well, I really think the first incident with the fridge is definitely residual but I'm not sure about the second one with the keys. I am more incined to believe it is intelligent. The misplacing of the keys of course is not enough evidence to support that but then again, the keys were put back in their place on demand so..., the energy must have been able to hear and sense dragonwalker's presence.

[at] dragonwalker...you're talking about some serious events and a lot of history embedded in those walls! That can explain many things!
dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-12)
It kind of reminded me of having a roommate who's never home when you are, or is home when you're asleep. And whatever was there with me felt distinctly male. I never heard the cupboard doors going, or my dishes rattle. It was always the fridge and heavier footsteps in my livingroom and hallway.
But yes, it does seem like someone was looking for something, since doors were left open.
I also found out later that the downstairs apartment had a few issues. The young man that I talked to told me he knew two people that had died in that downstairs apartment - one from an OD, and the other committed suicide.
Those apartments are older. A lot of the trim for windows and doors and what not was that dark brown that was real popular in the 80's.
Thanks for the feedback!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-12)
I agree with rhodes. It sounds a lot like residual hauntings combined with the spirit of someone who really wants to put the apartment back the way it was when they lived there. The open cabinets and doors could be their way of trying to "scope" things out and maybe trying to figure out why the stuff they put there isn't there anymore.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-12)
Although the first part of the experience sounds more like residual haunting- a past resident having their usual snack or even preparing food in the kitchen (I'd go for the second one as I think it was a woman), I very much agree with you on your estimation of the second part. Whoever wanted acknowledgement though was very likely distressed as well about you placing the keys in the "wrong" place according to the order of the "old house".

Great story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: