You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Growing Up With Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

Growing Up With Ghosts

 

For the first 10 years of my life, my family and I lived in a huge old house where many weird and unexplainable events took place. I can't fit them all into one story so I will be posting this in several parts so please bear with me!

First I'll describe the house. It was in Illinois where I grew up. Very old house and was once used as an apartment building. The outside staircase that led up to the top floor was still attached to the house when we lived there. We lived in the whole house and it was HUGE! Nothing scary ever happened downstairs, only on the second floor where the bedrooms and attic were. Very strange!

I'd like to tell you about an incident that happened to me in that house. Many of you skeptics may not believe me or may try to pass it off as being childhood imagination but I know better!

I was about 4 or 5 at the time and had my own room because my brothers who were much older than me had gone into the Marines so this left extra room in our house. This was early Christmas morning, not sure what time because I was too little to tell time yet. I'm guessing it was around 4 or 5 am, though. I was lying on my side facing the wall, sleeping when was woken up by voices whispering near my bed, about 3 to 4 feet away. It sounded like a small group of people having a very quiet, whispered conversation. I couldn't make out what was being said by these voices but I knew everyone was sleeping, so who could that be?

I remember getting scared, and creeped out because the whole situation just didn't seem right. I was afraid to move, afraid to turn over to see who or what it was! I remember to this day how afraid I felt but somehow I found the courage to turn over and look and found nobody was there! The whispering continued and I didn't know what to do but I could not stay in that room any longer. I talked myself into running into my parent's room at the count of 3 but in order to do that, I had to pass right by the area where the voices were coming from, the thought horrified me but I got myself ready to run! I counted to 3 in my head and was off the bed like a shot, running for my parent's room! I jumped onto their bed and started telling them what had happened but they thought I had been dreaming or something. They told me to go back to sleep. I was too afraid to leave their room so they were a little upset with me. My Dad had the nerve to accuse me of making up a story just so I could wake them up early to open my Christmas gifts, which was not true at all!

I was really mad at them for not believing me. I was not imagining things, I was not dreaming. I was wide awake and coherent. I was WOKEN UP by these voices so I know I wasn't dreaming them up! They also continued once I was fully awake so my parents were wrong!

This is just one incident that took place in that house. I never got an answer as to why all of these things happened, never was able to trace the house's history. I've always wanted to know if anyone else ever had things happen to them while living there.

When my Dad sold the house, the guy who bought it turned it back into an apartment house so I wonder what happened after we moved. These are things I'll never know.

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on my story.

Thank you for taking the time to read it. I greatly appreciate it!

Part 2 will be coming soon!

Other hauntings by Ibelieveinghosts

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ibelieveinghosts, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
zzsGranny: I'll have to check out your stories and the ghost hunting stories! Thanks! I've been on a few ghost hunts myself and some very weird stuff happened! I'll have to tell you about it sometime. Keep in touch and take care! ❤ 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
Ibelieve: The last we heard from mrdeagle was an update about the Living Enrichment Center associated with his stories 😢...I've posted a few more since you were here last, hope you have time to read them!...I and a few of the other posters from the site had the opportunity to go on a private ghost hunt at The Mansfield Reformatory...There's a series of stories, all starting with "Ghost Hunting With Loonies"...Some really cool stuff as far as recordings, pics, etc!
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
Hey, ZZGranny! How have you been? I check in here every once in awhile, mainly to see if I have any new comments on my stories. The comment from Blueandy_97 is the first one I've had in a very long time. Whatever happened to MrDeagle, anyway?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
Ibelieveinghosts: Welcome back!...I don't know if you've been haunting the site, but a lot has changed over the months 😆
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
To Blueandy_97: I really don't want to post the address on the internet for anyone to see because there are people living there and I wouldn't want people disturbing them. It wasn't an apartment, it was a house. After my dad sold it, it was turned into apartments, but we lived in the entire house.
blueandy_97 (1 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
Hey, I was just searching for peoples experiences with ghost In Ottawa and found your story. I've lived in Ottawa since I was born but that is not to long because I'm only a teenager. I was wondering if you could give me the adress to the apartment that you used to live in.
Thanks in advance.
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-08)
KirstyLouise: Thanks you for reading my story & commenting on it! Yes, it was a very scary place & was no place for a child to be living! My parents weren't to blame, though. As far as I know, they never saw or heard anything so they didn't believe that there were actually ghosts in the house! It was great moving from there because the house we moved to had no paranormal activity whatsoever, which was a HUGE relief to me after having lived with ghosts for 10 years! 😊
KirstyLouise (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-08)
wow.
Spooky!😜
I believe you, your parents are being realistic I guess.
There is so many people that believe you my dear:)

I'm glad you got away from that housee!
It sounds very scary.
God bless,
Lots of love,
Kirsty
xoxooxoxx
mrdeagle (6 stories) (69 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-01)
Hey what's happening, Ibelieveinghosts? I have been busy for the last month and haven't had a chance to visit the site. I was pleased to see you have found the time to post some new stories! Great writing, totally creepy. When I thought about how your parents reacted it made sense. It would have seemed awful convenient for the ghosts to freak you out early Christmas morning! Of course your parents wouldn't believe you... When I have kids, I am going to make sure I listen carefully if they ever tell me they saw or heard a ghost! Children are often dismissed because of their age but I think they are the most sensitive to these things. Good stuff! Can't wait to read part 2.
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
Yeah, I know. I wanted to find out who built it & who lived there but was never able to. If you ever make a trip to Ottawa, I'll give you the address of the house. It's still standing & is still used as an apartment building as far as I know!
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
Sure do. I lived in Geneseo (an hour or so) for about 3 years. When driving to visit my family in the Dupage area, I would take 80 which went through it.

Shame you couldn't find any history on the home.
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
Glad to see all of these comments & that so many people are reading my story!
Darkness: Yes, I can see why people would think this was a residual haunting, but you'll see from part 2 of this story that it was actually an intelligent haunting! I have more to tell so there will be a few more parts coming. Thanks so much for reading my story & commenting on it! 😊
CJ: Some houses or buildings just have a really bad vibe about them, so I know what you're saying. The place I'm living right now has that vibe. I've had some weird, scary experiences here & want to move! I live alone so it's extra scary. My story "Can It Be A Ghost" tells about this. I need to do a little update on that story because something weird happened recently here. Anyway, on to your questions. I don't think my parents were believers in the paranormal. I never once heard them talk about ghosts or anything like that & they didn't believe me when I told them these weird things were going on. They thought I was imagining it because I was so young but that wasn't the case at all. I don't know if anyone else ever experienced anything in that house. If they did, I was never made aware of it. Part 2 is coming up! Thanks for reading & commenting on my story! 😊
Cosmogal926: At least SOMEONE knows how I felt, how scary it was to have those things happen at such a young age & nobody will believe you! I felt so alone & scared but there was nothing I could do. I was glad when we moved from there! Thanks for reading & commenting on my story! Part 2 has been submitted so it should be on here real soon! 😊
Hobbyholly: This took place in Ottawa, Illinois. The same place where my "Full Bodied Apparition Sighting" story took place. I grew up there. It's about 90 miles from Chicago. Do you know where it is?
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
Good to see a story from you again (I was MIA from this site for a while)

If you don't mind me asking, where was this in IL? You know how I love stories from my home state.

I look forward to more
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
Hey there Ibeliveinghosts, I can totally relate to how you felt as as child. I grew up in a haunted apartment where most of the activity was focused on me. My parents didnt't start believing me until they heard and experienced activity themselves. You were brave to run out of your room. When I knew our ghost was in my room I couldn't do anything but pull the covers over my head and wait for the morning. Thanks for posting, and I am looking forward to part 2. 😊
CJ (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
First I want to say that I completely understand about an old house like that being creepy. My boyfriend and I had moved up to Illinois back in '06 for a few months and we rented an apartment that was actually an old house that had been made into an apartment building with four units. Never could stand that place and thank God we only lived in it for about three months. I don't believe I ever experienced anything specific happening in that place, other then the negative sensations I would get when we were driving past it or driving up to it on the log driveway. It reeked of negativity and always felt like someone or something was watching you from the structure itself. But yeah, just wanted to relate to you with that...

Onto my questions... Did you ever experience the voices again after that instance? And also, you said your family didn't believe you. Was that because they passed it off merely as your imagination? Or was it because they didn't believe in the paranormal/supernatural? And did anyone else in your family experience anything, whether they believed in it or not?

Thanks for sharing! 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-18)
Hi Ibelieveinghosts as DeviousAngel mentioned it could be a residual haunting, but I really need to hear what else had occured in your house to make a solid opinion. It could also have been the start of something trying to get your attention. I look forward to hearing the rest of your stories.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-18)
Thank you for your comment, DeviousAngel. Yes, people tend not to believe a child when they say something paranormal has happened to them. Adults pass it off as an overactive imagination, which almost all children have. However, I know all of these things really happened to me, but I cannot prove them. My family didn't really believe me so nothing could ever be done to try and stop these things from happening. I seemed to be the target of this ghost or whatever it was. We moved when I was 10 and I had no more problems after that. I'm glad whatever that was didn't follow us to our new home!
I don't think this was a residual haunting, as you'll see from my next story. I've already submitted it so it should be posted in a few days. There will be more to follow that one because quite a few weird things happened in that house over those 10 years I lived there. Thanks for reading my story and commenting on it! I hope you'll read part 2, also! 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-18)
Thank you for sharing your story. It's hard to lend credibility to something that happened to you at such a young age, but things like this stick out in our minds particularly well. Was this the only incident you had in the house? This sounds like a residual haunting... Nothing to be scared of, just a replay of events.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: