You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Full Bodied Apparition Sighting

Real Ghost Stories

Full Bodied Apparition Sighting

 

This is a true story that happened on May 15th, 2006 in a small Illinois town where I grew up. I have always believed in ghosts ever since I was a little girl because for the first 10 years of my life, my family and I lived in an old spooky house where many strange things happened that were unexplainable. I never actually saw anything in that house, but on the evening of May 15th, 2006, I encountered my first full bodied apparition!

There's an old cemetery that I used to go to just to walk around and look at the headstones. It's a very quiet, peaceful place and after having a stressful day I liked to go in there for a bit to relax sometimes. I also took my 2 children there when they were younger because there were gophers in there that dug holes in the ground and the kids liked to go see them once in awhile. We always felt comfortable there, never afraid. We always went in the daytime, never at night. Not that I was afraid or anything. It just seemed like the daytime was when we went there.

Anyway, when I went in there to walk around I went by myself usually. My 2 kids were older by this time so they had other things to do and lost interest in going. I've always loved this old cemetery so I continued going there from time to time. I always went in the afternoon, around 2 or 3 pm. I would walk through several times and then head for home. On the day this incident happened, I was running late that day and didn't get to the cemetery until around 4:30 pm. I had had a stressful day and needed the walk and the time alone. Even though it was a later time than when I usually went and would be getting dark soon, it didn't matter to me. I had been in there many times before and had never had anything scary happen. I didn't give it a second thought.

I always parked my car in the very back and would walk through several times or until I got tired.

Let me explain something here that is important to the story later on. There is only 1 way out of this cemetery and that's through the front only. The cemetery is pretty big and is surrounded by a very high fence with barbed wire on the top so there's no way over it. The very back has a smaller fence but there's a sharp drop off that goes into a river back there so nobody could leave that way.

On this particular day I parked in the back like usual and got out of my car. I had a habit of checking things out before I left my car, like looking to see if anyone else was in there with me. I didn't want to get trapped in there with some weirdo! I looked around and saw nobody so I began my walk. I walked through several times and had stopped to look at a few headstones. After about 90 minutes or so, I stopped at my car to rest. I noticed twilight coming on and debated about going home. I decided to walk through once more and then head for home. I looked around like I always did and saw nobody was in there. I started walking again.

I was about 2 blocks from my car when I heard what sounded like a male voice yell "HEY!" from behind me! I stopped and froze because I knew it was impossible for someone to get behind me, in the back of the cemetery so quickly without me seeing them! I had just been back there by my car several minutes before and I checked. Nobody was in there! I turned around and saw what looked to be a tall, thin man dressed in some sort of dark blue uniform or outfit of some sort. It was getting kind of dark by then but I could still see back there. When he saw me looking at him, he waved his hand and started walking very fast like he was eager to catch up to me!

I was scared because I honestly thought this was some crazy person and something told me to run so I did! I ran to my car as fast as I could and got in. I started it up and sat there a minute. I decided to drive through to see who that weirdo was! Guess what? NOBODY was in there at all! I drove through the entire place twice and saw not a soul. I then knew that that was no person I saw but a ghost!

I didn't realize it was a ghost when I first saw him because he wasn't transparent or anything like that. He didn't float above the ground; disappear in front of me or anything that you hear ghosts do. I thought it was a regular person. I then knew it was really a ghost when I couldn't find him! There is no possible way that he could have run out of the place that fast, it's just not possible.

When I saw him, he was in the very back of the cemetery not far from where my car was parked. It didn't take me long to get back to my car because I doubled back and took a shortcut in between the headstones. I drove through right away and should have seen him walking on the path still. He was nowhere in sight. I've never forgotten this incident and I have never been back to that cemetery! Whether people who read this believe it or not, I don't care. I know it happened and that's all that matters! But if I were you, I'd think twice about going into a cemetery alone at night. You just might encounter something that you don't want to see, like I did!

Other hauntings by Ibelieveinghosts

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ibelieveinghosts, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-08)
xBweanax: I like cemeteries because I like looking at the headstones & cemeteries are always so peaceful. I've never been afraid to go in them until after I saw that apparition! Now I'm kind of paranoid about it. Not all cemeteries have ghosts & I only saw a cemetery ghost that one time. I've been in plenty of other cemeteries before & nothing ever happened! Thanks for reading my story & commenting!
๐Ÿ˜Š
xBweanax (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-07)
oh my gosh, hope that never happens to you again! Why cemeterys tho? Try a park ^.^ man, they don't let me use 'text talk'.
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
Moonshadow: Thanks for the great comment! I feel the same way about cemeteries. They're so tranquil & peaceful. The headstones tell a sort of story to the living. You may be right about that ghost. Maybe he just wanted to say hi or let me know I had nothing to fear. I was scared at the time but not so much anymore. I think he meant me no harm. I'm just glad it didn't turn out to be some crazy person, which I thought it was at first. I want to go back there sometime to see what happens. I'll keep you posted on what takes place! ๐Ÿ˜Š
moonshadow (3 stories) (146 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-07)
very good story I to find graveyards very peaceful I expect the spirit you seen was probabley the spirit of someone buiried there id say he was just protecting you and gave you a friendly just to let you know you will allways be safe there take care and may the light of the great spirit shine upon you...
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
Ibelieveinghosts: I think mrdeagle likes you!...alot ๐Ÿ˜†...none of my da*n business, I know... Love you guys!
mrdeagle (6 stories) (69 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
No problem, Ibelieveinghosts. You are an awesome poster too. I can't wait to read your new stories. ๐Ÿ˜
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
WOW! Thanks for all the positive comments, guys! It was great to sign on today & see all of these great comments! I really appreciate hearing from all of you. I don't know what happened but when I resubmitted both stories, I added on there that I had to delete my old account & I was resubmitting the stories so nobody was confused. For some reason, that part was deleted from my story by the editors, so I again apologize for the confusion. I see how all of you would be thinking someone had stolen my stories. Mrdeagle knew what was going on because I had contacted him right after I opened my new account. I was going to contact Hobbyholly as well but hadn't gotten the chance to do so yet. Now to answer your comments individually.
Mrdeagle: Thanks for the kind words & for sticking up for me! You're awesome & a great poster!:)
Greenpondmike: That's ok, you didn't have to apologize. I can perfectly understand why you & others were thinking those things. It would seem like someone had stolen my stories because I had just closed my other account then this story shows up on a different account! This is why I tried to add the line saying my other account had been deleted but the editors must have taken it out for some reason! By the way, the stalker has left me alone for almost 2 weeks now because I told him I was going to the police. That seems to have worked, let's hope. Thanks for taking the time to read my story! No worries!
Zzsgranny: No worries! You didn't have to apologize. Like I told Greenpondmike, I can see why all of you thought what you did. It was highly suspicious. Thanks so much for your kind words! They're greatly appreciated.
Pjod: No, the person who was stalking me wasn't on this site but on Youtube. He found my account on here by Googling my username because I was foolish enough to use the same username for several different sites. Everyone on here has been so kind & I've NEVER had a problem with anyone here. Thanks for your concern, though. Also, thanks for reading my story & for your comment!
Hobbyholly: Thanks for the kind words & sorry about the confusion. I was going to contact you but hadn't gotten the chance yet. I wanted you to know what had happened & that I had to open a new account here. Thanks for the comments & for reading my story, AGAIN!
Cosmogal926: Thanks for the positive comment! I'm glad that you enjoy my stories. My second one should be up soon, the one about the noises on my porch that I had on here before. I think the new title for that story is "Is it a ghost?" Something like that. I changed the titles just to be on the safe side. Thanks again for the kind words! They're greatly appreciated.
Vulcan10: Thanks so much for the kind words! Yes, cemeteries fascinate me, always have. Maybe it stems from my childhood when my elderly Great Aunt used to take us kids to the cemetery where a lot of my family members are buried to feed the ducks at the duck pond. It was a Sunday tradition. Every week, weather permitting, she would take us for an ice cream cone then to the cemetery to feed the ducks. I spent a lot of time in cemeteries as a kid so I think that must be why I feel so at peace in them. I love cemeteries & the history behind them, looking at the headstones of those who have passed on. I have great respect for the dead & I didn't think I feared them until I saw that apparition. I am also thankful for this site. It allows the people who have had paranormal encounters to write about them & not have to worry about others making fun of them. I've had that happen to me more than once when I told different people about my experiences. Most people don't even believe in ghosts so I'm glad I found this site where other people will listen to what I have to say & understand what I went through. Thanks again for the great comment & for taking the time to read my story.
Thanks again to all of you who go to all the trouble to read my stories & comment on them. It truly means a lot to me.

๐Ÿ˜Š โค
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
I've found cemetaries to be peaceful too. There are some I have seen where the town encourages people to do their walking exercising along the pathways. I don't know why I have found them to be serene (the times that I have been to a couple, I don't live near one nor do I search them out), one reason could be that they are normally so well taken care of, quiet, and peaceful. Maybe it helps coming to terms with ones own demise. On the gopher hole thing. We didn't have gophers digging up are place but we sure had our fare share of moles. I've almost broke my ankle in more than one mole hole. Grrrr! Your story really held my interest, and in the day time, those are the best. I think I'd have to go back there though and walk about again, just to see if he really had something to say. I'd like to read your other stories the others were speaking of. If you don't re-publish them, then email them to me so I can read them. I'm sorry for your cyber stalker. I've been a fan of true crime for ages, (since reading "in cold blood" by truman capote in junior high) and have studied many books on aberrant minds. No one can understand them or their reasoning. A normal mind cannot truely understand an abnormal one. Like one of my favorite authors on criminal profiling wrote, "the best we can hope to do is predict their next move". Anywho, I'm glad to share an interest in this unknown life we share, and I'm glad there's a place to do it.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
Welcome Back Ibelieveinghosts ๐Ÿ˜Š I'm sorry to hear that you had to delete your profile because of some waste of space with too much time on their hands. But, I am happy you decided to come back. That happened to me once and I actually had to go to the police and file a report before they got the hint. I enjoy reading your stories and look forward to any future posts.
Take Care ๐Ÿ˜Š โค
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
Good to have you back Ibelieve. Sorry about the stalker. I've posted my email address once on my account...don't plan on ever doing it again.

Don't worry about re-posting your stories. I enjoy them and its good to see them up again
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
internet stalker? If it was someone on this forum, perhaps you should point him/her out for other posters safety. Who the heck has the time to stalk someone on the internet?
greenpondmike (1 stories) (82 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
Yep,I also thought that you was a story stealer--that was one of the opinions that I had kept to myself. I figured that even if you were guilty, I wouldn't embarrass you. I was ignorant to what was going on.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
Sorry to hear about the stalker thing... It goes along with what a lot of us know: There's more to fear from the living than the dead!...I respect you and your decision to do what you did... It upset me because of the respect I have for you, that someone would steal your story!...sorry 'bout that... ๐Ÿ˜ณ
greenpondmike (1 stories) (82 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
I apologise Ibelieveinghost, I didn't know what was going on. I hope that person that was stalking you has finally left you alone.
mrdeagle (6 stories) (69 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
She's telling the truth. Check the comments on my story The Beach House. I have been following Grinch's stories for awhile. She's a respectable poster. Don't worry. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
Hobbyholly & zzsgranny: Yes, I had an account on here before & was known as Grinch. I had to delete that account due to an online stalker issue. I am republishing the 2 stories I had on here before with different titles. Sorry for the confusion!
Greenpondmike: sorry to disappoint you with my republished stories. These stories are true & I want them on here for others to read & give me feedback. It's certainly not my fault that I had to delete my other account & both stories. If anyone else has a problem with the reposting of my stories, I apologize. ๐Ÿ˜•
greenpondmike (1 stories) (82 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
Hobbyholly,you are correct. I told my wife details of the story before I finished reading it. Reading on just verified what I told her. I don't remember the gophers in the first story but they could have been there. With all respect to the writer, that is a good story, but to those who have read all the older stories (some are very interesting), a rerun seems kind of disapointing. I do have other opinions, but will keep them to myself.Hobbyholly,it is good to see one of the veteran posters like you. I would like to also see others like whitebuffalo,kimsouth,farwin,maverick,and all the other veteran/moderaters that are on here--one reviewed and published my first story but I can't remember her name. I miss seeing all of you and you all have my respect.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-01)
To the OP:

Were you on here before with a different name? Because this story sounds SO similar to a poster that I noticed is no longer registered. A poster that I respected at that
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2009-12-01)
I know this has posted before, since I commented on it... I can't find it in the archives, but I didn't look too long... In the comments, someone was telling the poster that they were strange for "hanging out in cemeteries"...I replied something to the effect of "If I COULD hang out in cemeteries, I would" etc...What's going on Ibelieveinghosts?
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-01)
It does sound very familiar hobbyholly I think this story has been posted before. ๐Ÿ˜•
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-01)
This sounds VERY familiar. Has this story been posted before?

Where in Illinois did this take place (if you don't mind me asking... I too live in IL)
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-01)
Wow, that is pretty freaky! Maybe if you muster up the courage to go back you might check the grave sites to see if he might have been a soldier. I know sometimes soldier's graves are marked with a flag or some kind of ornamental marker.

Thanks for sharing!
Jennifer โค

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: