You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Top Hat And Tails

Real Ghost Stories

Top Hat And Tails

 

This happened when I was about 13 or 14 (I am 21 now) in my house in country Victoria, Australia. It is pretty short there isn't much to it.

It was the weekend and I was up one night whilst everyone else had gone to bed. I was watching a movie of Anne Frank on TV. I have always seemed to like to watch TV in the dark, though I rarely do as mum likes the light on. This time the lights where off and I was sitting on the floor, I was restless that night and moved from floor to couch to chair to bean bag every few minutes. Then there was an ad break and I looked behind me and I saw a man walk from the end of my couch a few steps to the front door. Well walk is the only way I figure he moved as I didn't see anything from the hips down.

He was wearing a black top hat, and black tails, with black pants and a white shirt and black suspenders, and he had a cane, black with a silver top, more of a fashion thing then a walking aid. He took a few steps and disappeared, I got up quickly and turned the light on and watched the rest of the movie with the light on.

At first I thought it was an image from Anne Frank I had just seen it in the room, but I realized that the clothes where of a much later period then Anne Frank.

Also, something I didn't find out for years afterward. A week before my father was killed in a work place accident my mum had a dream about him dying and when he went to the job that killed him she had a strong urge to tell him not to go, unfortunately she didn't, and a few weeks after his accident mum was half asleep, mum and dad always slept on there sides, mum was on her side half asleep and she felt the other side of the bed depress and she thought it was me, and then she felt arms around her, basically spooning her, and she thought it was weird so she rolled over and there was no one there.

Other hauntings by MissHill

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MissHill, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

robertar (223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-28)
your descriptions in your other post reminded me of someone elses story. The entity appeared as different people but turned out to be only one, which they felt was inhuman, attacked their children and was very hard to defend against/keep away.
MissHill (6 stories) (67 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-09)
well I know the land was built on roughly 27 years ago as my brothers school friend remembered her dad building it and they are 27ish now. I doubt before that it would have been anything, it only a block or so from the edge of town, and this is a farming area, so it would have been farm land, though I am not sure, and unfortunately I do not live there anymore
moonshadow (3 stories) (146 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-05)
It might of been Fred Astaire paying a visit 😆... I enjoyed that story it's really hard to say why there was a man dressed in top hat and tailes in your house I wonder was there ever a theatre close to where you live or maybe it was just a spirit who lived in the area in the past just passing through you should check the whole history of the area take care let me know if you find anything...
MissHill (6 stories) (67 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
Yeah I think he was consoling her too, they made me believe in Soul Mates.

Not that old at all, I'm not sure exactly but back in 2000 at my brothers 18th there was a friend who came and she said she remembered her dad building the house for them and living in it when she was little, so nearly 30 years then, I think it was connected to the land rather than the house or any object, we don't have any object that could connect with a spirit. Nothing old enough
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
Sounds like that song "Puttin' On The Ritz" 😆...How old is the house? (not that it matters)...He was on his way to the theater, in his finest...

I think your dad was consoling your mom, and telling her that he was ok... Has she felt anything since?...

I like this story a lot... Thank you for posting... 😊
MissHill (6 stories) (67 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
Thanks.

"aristocrat from the Victorian age" That's the kind of thing I was thinking, well at least it would have been his best clothes for special occasions, that area would have been farm land, I was living in a small country town, but yes that exactly what I thought.

No I didn't look any of it up I never thought to at the time.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your father. Have you had a chance to do any research on the land prior to your family's residence there? Did you see anything of facial features that might have distinguished this person as someone you knew, perhaps a relative? This man sounds like he was an aristocrat from the Victorian age.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: