You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Awake But Unable To Move

Real Ghost Stories

Awake But Unable To Move

 

About a week ago I had an experience that really scared me. I was almost in tears.

I woke up one morning and just didn't get out of the bed. I know I was awake because I looked at the clock and it said 12:13 pm. When I laid my head back down I felt strange. Then I heard this buzzing, screech type noise. Then I realized I couldn't move, it felt like something was holding me down. I couldn't talk or yell. I didn't see anything weird. I could move my head from left to right but not up and down. So I was shaking my head and then I was able to move again.

I sat up in my bed. I was thinking no way, did that really just happen to me? I laid back down and a couple of seconds past and the buzzing came back. Then the restraint came back to my body. I was unable to talk again. It was like whatever was holding was taking a second chance at whatever it was trying to do. Again I could only move my head left and right so I shook my head again to get free. When I was able to move I jumped up and ran out the room. I ran to the bathroom and just sat on the floor.

I decided to read up on what happened. I came across sleep paralysis. I thought it was that but then I thought about me looking at the clock. Plus I was able to move my head. Also it was daylight and I could see my room. Plus the fact that it happen again after I laid back down.

Please somebody give me some type of feedback.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DizzyVIII, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

miranda_elaine (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
I think it was maybe a demon or something trying to trap you or take your soul.
prinzjames (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-20)
I had this experience twice, once when I was 18 and again when I was 24 (Im 37 now). I have never forgotten it. When I was 18, I nodded off in my bedroom in the middle of the afternoon on my bed. I woke up, but could not move at all. There was a loud "white light" kind of noise and small voices. I was in a panic and fighting my hardest to move and get up, and all I could move was my eye balls. At the same time I heard an older female voice say, "He is fighting us", "He won't cooperate"...the experience didn't last long... Maybe a couple of minutes. Same thing happen at age 24... But never happened to me again.
sharon (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-27)
That same thing happened to me. Scary, isn't it? I think you explained it a bit better than me tough, I could not move either or shout. I believe I got raped by a ghost! I don't want to be doom and gloom but I think something was going to harm you. 😨 😨
Dartanyanishere (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-05)
Hello DizzyVIII... I'm a guy that also lives in MD right now. I'm 28 about to be 29 years of age. I came upon your story because I in fact have the same happenings to myself. Just last night was the most recent and it happened to me about 9 times back to back. This has been happening to me for years though. Ever since I was at least 6 or 7 years old. I also move my head left and right to get "free" from whatever is going on. Now days though I just stay in this state to see what happens. I've become that curious and unafraid through the years. The one things that makes me believe you is this. In every single house that I slept in and this occurs. Somebody always tells me that it's haunted. Except for one that I lived at alone and told myself it was haunted due to noises I would hear hours before going to bed. Things such and mirrors falling and breaking. Loud steps. All kinds of things, and this is while awake during early hours anytime of the day.
This thing last night I came home from hanging out with that car friends I know because I race import cars and we have meets. When I got here my roommate just came up to me and said he heard the door open earlier and heard footsteps run up the stairs. He thought I had come home early but then he said he went upstairs and my door was wide open, which I never do, and noticed that I was in fact not home. When I got home my door was open and I asked him why did he leave my door open and he said it was already open. I NEVER leave my door open. Not even when I'm in my room.
This same night which was last night. I had the awake and can't move thing happen to me over and over. For some reason I can go back to it. I go back to it because I'm curious I guess. To describe what I go through would be... I'd be laying there and I can still see. So I look around then I feel like somebody is there so I try to sit up but can't. That's when I know I'm there and it's happening. While I'm like this sometimes it feels like whatever is trying to pull me off the bed but that's only sometimes. Since I did this last night about 8 time's, some of the times just felt like somebody was holding me. I've gotten to where I can raise one arm now. I can also talk but it takes about 4 seconds for me to "try" get the word out. The word never fully come out though, just a audible moan. My girfriend actually heard me one night and asked me what I was doing because I had been fighting this... Whatever it is one night and I spoke. The words still came out as a moan but she heard it. I have lots of things I can tell you that happen to me because I go looking for it when it does happen. Different houses etc etc. Whatever is going on... This is not some sleep paralysis...It's definitely something else.
DizzyVIII (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-26)
I never experienced sleep paralysis ever in life. Is it possible to just a random episode?
medarisj (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-23)
I've been through something similar and I agree with DeviousAngel that it sounds more medical than anything. I am photosensitive and am prone to experience paralysis under certain conditions (that medical warning you see on every movie and video game now days). Some times if I'm playing a game and I'm tired or sleepy the patterns of lights cause a state of paralysis where I can only move my head and hands. In my case it lasts anywhere from a few seconds up to a half hour and I relapse after recovering if I don't keep moving or remove myself from the stimuli.

Have you ever experienced a feeling of nausea or car sickness when watching certain movies, playing video/computer games or around strobe lights? If so, something as simple as a tree limb swaying in the wind, casting shadows into your room can cause one of these episodes. That being said, I can't explain the sounds you heard.

More info can be found here:
Http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/about/photosensitivity/gerba.cfm
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
I'm sorry to hear that you experienced this. I still believe that this is sleep paralysis however, and that just because you were able to move does not mean you weren't suffering from it. I have heard of people being able to combat sleep paralysis through simple movements. It could be something else but I don't see anything in your story that would lead me to believe otherwise.
Zander (7 stories) (141 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
In my estimation, you experienced "kanashibari" which is a known and accepted phenomenon in Japan since antiquity. I for one and all of Japan would have no scepticism about your having been wide awake. Sometimes the modern western world is too "smart" to be wise. Sleep paralysis is, as I believe you found, not always the best explanation for experiences such as yours.

You may want to read my story posting about this inability to move while wide awake under "Demon Encounter in Tokyo, Japan," here. It includes an explanation of the kanashibari phenomenon and what strategies I found effective to combat it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: