You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Graveyard Shift Sightings

Real Ghost Stories

Graveyard Shift Sightings

 

I work third shift at a local motel, and have been there for over 7 months. Over the winter time I got adjusted to the strange things that come with working in the motel business. Even being wide awake at 4am can still be a strange time to be awake. Some things though aren't easy to explain. Like lights that seem to flash in response to questions, rooms that haven't been occupied for days suddenly coming to life with radios turned up to full volume, doors that seem they're being held from the other side, and lastly, catching 'spirit orbs' on security camera and my cell phone. The exit sign lights had been acting strange. I first noticed them blinking rapidly at first, and then slowing down to a few blinks a minute.

My friend Tom stopped by to visit that night while my wife, Kate, and I were having dinner at work. While finishing up some work behind the desk a light from the security camera monitor caught my attention. It was the exit sign from the south side of the building blinking at me. At first we brushed it off as a camera malfunction but Tom, who is naturally eccentric, asked the screen, "Can you see us?" The light turned off completely. Eyes wide, our hearts racing Tom asked, "Do you want us to leave?" The light blinked incessantly.

We finished our dinner in the lobby. Kate left afterward urging us to ignore it. After watching TV for a while and following Kate's warnings curiosity got the better of us. Tom waited behind the desk watching the monitor while I ventured upstairs. Walking all the way down the hall to the light I heard music coming from a room. The room closest to the light; 223. I checked the room rack on the clerk desk only to find 223 was vacant and had been for the past 3 days. Armed with the master key Tom and I went into the room at the end of the hall. The room was unusually cold being able to see our breath inside the room. The clock radio was not set to alarm but was sounding almost at full volume. We checked the radio, turned it off, and double checked to make sure there was no alarm set. After we finished checking the room, we headed back downstairs and tried to rationalize what just happened.

About 20 minutes later I was calm enough to do a walk around of the building. After checking the bottom floors, I moved to the stairwell opposite from room 223 and tried to open the door and it would not budge. I don't run into too many things that won't move when I try to use them, so I planted my feet and gave it another shot. The door moved about 2 inches and wouldn't give anymore. I wrote this off as just a coincidence.

A few days later Kate had come back to have dinner with me again, and after a while we noticed that the light on the security cameras was flashing again. This time we decided to experiment with it a little bit, so I asked Kate to go upstairs. While she walked up there, I watched the security monitors. I noticed that the lights flashed only when she wasn't looking in its direction. We tried a few more times with similar results. We both got more than a little spooked out by this, and left it alone for a while.

A few months have gone by and it was a pretty stormy night when I next noticed the presence. I was studying at my laptop when I noticed something moving on the security display. I was amazed to see a glowing white orb move about on the camera display. I looked closer to see an almost semicircular shape, it moved about erratically on the screen, sometimes leaving the edge of the cameras sight. I grabbed my cell phone and recorded the monitor, and still have the video. I tried to ignore the orb, as it had been playing about for almost 10 minutes when I heard a solid thump from the back door. It sounded to me almost like somebody running their shoulder into the door, not a sharp sound at all, but more like a heavy force against the other side. This only happened 2 or 3 times, but it was enough to make me feel very uneasy.

Since then it's been about 2 weeks at the time of this posting, and things have been mostly quiet. I have no idea what to make of this presence, all I know is that something is definitely there, and it likes to make itself known.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kensomniac, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-20)
Kensomniac It sounds as if something is definitely there trying to get your attention it would be great to see the video of the monitor.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Ninja-cHicK (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-15)
wow I would have been freaked out... And not want to be there all alone... Especially at night... Which is when most ghost activity wil take place... Not saying that it won't be active in teh day time but the scariest stuff seems to happen at night, maybe its the thought of the word "darkness" that makes it so scary at night...
Good luck working the graveyard shift. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: