You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Grandma's Tale - Brahmadaitya

Real Ghost Stories

My Grandma's Tale - Brahmadaitya

 

This is a story that my grandmother had experienced at her young age... In childhood. If you have read my previous story of the "Death Bird" you will know that my father and I do not believe in the supernatural, ok save a few mini-superstitions- but my dad is a staunch atheist! My Grandmother (maternal) is a firm believer in ghosts and the Paranormal, not to mention superstitions- in fact she claims that her belief in paranormal happenings stems from real-life experiences. She had narrated two of the vivid experiences she had had as a child, one as a 11 year old, the other, when she was a teenager of 13 to me and a couple of my cousins a few years ago of which I am going to share the Latter.

My grandmother had lived in the village of Baharu (South 24 pargabas) in West BENGAL. It is a growing fairly prosperous village rather a "mini-town" if we could see it now, but at my grandmothers time it had been a totally remote and small village. There is a popular belief in India that the hour of 3am is an inauspicious one, especially during a Full Moon. Ghosts and spirits are reported to be restless at that hour. The day I'm talking of is the night of the "Purnima Titihi" (full moon).

My maternal grandmother's family had been preparing to perform a "puja" (worship) of Goddess Laksmi. For the uninformed, a main ingredient of this puja is the "Durba" grass... (A type of grass. I don't know the corresponding English term)...this durba grass needed to be collected at Dawn on the day of the puja itself. Near my grandmother's home in her village about a few kilometers away was a deep wood, at the edge of which this Durba grass grew. Nobody frequented the woods much during night. Now to get down to the actual incident. My grandmother, her mother and her aunt were the main people in charge of making preparations of ingredients for the puja festival to be organized in the House. So my Grandmother and her aunt decided to go into the woodside early in the dawn to get the grass. They did not have alarm clocks at that time, so a maid of the house was assigned the task of waking up my granny and her aunt at 4 next day. However, this maid was not very bright nor sincere; she had her own puja preparations to do at her home, so she intentionally woke up my granny and aunt at 3am (2 hours before the stipulated time)

My Grandmother and her aunt, oblivious of the one-hour difference, walked into the grounds to set out for collecting the grass. The moonlight was shining brightly, and streams of light flooded the ground, the gardens and the Woods. As the two of them proceeded, they saw a faint figure in the distance, at the edge of the Woods they were walking towards... As they got a bit closer, they saw it clearly (as my grandmother said) - a man, wearing a dhoti and a poite (sacred thread worn by Brahman caste) across his chest, standing with his back to them. He seemed to be busy with something. My grandmother and aunt were not surprised, at this time, they thought, it was natural for people to come here since the Puja was celebrated by every household in the village... So they took him to be a village man. However, they had never seen him before in that neighbourhood, so they wondered a bit. But they decided to walk towards him and ask to strike a conversation. They proceeded...however, after a while, they felt that they had crossed nearer to the woods, but still the man seemed afar. They went nearer and nearer... To their amazement... The figure... Standing static seemed to move further and further away! They had crossed over a metre, and yet nowhere close to the man! They were a bit surprised, and maybe a little bit spooked too by this time...however, at ONE point, he (or it) suddenly swung around to face them... And as he did so, my granny's face coiled in Horror! The man had no features! He had a smooth skin-ball...no features, just smooth skin! My Granny swears to this day that that's what she saw because although it was midnight, the moonlight was clear and bright- and everything within that distance was clear to be seen!

My granny and her aunt stopped dead for a moment, and then, finding feet, her aunt, mustering ALL her might, snatched my granny's hand and dragged her away as fast as she could- (my granny gets shaky while narrating this part- she says her aunts quick thinking saved their lives)...they both ran until they were at the door of the house, and just as they reached the door, they both fell down and fainted.

The next one week, my granny was unable to remember, because she says that she was down with high fever at the time... Both my granny and her aunt were down with high fever, constantly shaking and muttering "it's there, it's coming to get me"...in their sleep...

The Puja celebrations were, obviously cancelled- and a priest was called to perform "Puja" on my granny and her aunt... After doing the puja for four days, both recovered.

Grandmother doesn't remember much after this, only that she got told by the priest that she was under curse from a "Brahmadaitya" (Brahmanic Demon) and that it had left after the blessing rituals.

After that incident, my grandmother's family had a Room in the house dedicated to the Brahmaditya, to please him with offerings on full moon nights, to keep it from further tormenting anyone of the family. My granny says that it is what has kept her safe from it, ever since.

The introduction on the Brahma-DAITYA:

In the Brahmanic caste religion of Hinduism, there is a ritual that every Brahman male has to go through upon attaining the age of 13 or 14- it is called the "Poite". It involves chanting of some incantations and wearing of the Sacred thread 'Poite' by the boy, whereby He is officially inducted into brahmanhood. Legend has it, that if a Brahman male dies by accident within a week of having his Poite THEN HIS SOUL WILL TAKE ON THE FORM OF THE Brahmadaitya or (Brahma Demon)...such demon are believed to be very powerful negative entities and is even believed to cause Death, by Old Village Folks.

I don't know what to make of this one (Lol!)...but, I have once been to my grandmothers Village property, and had seen the room.

Other hauntings by narcissa

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, narcissa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

haunter (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-19)
Ohh... The story is indeed a chilling one... Just read it yesterday night & felt like 'too scared'... The 'brahmadaitya'...with no figural appearance just made me pale already!...😊
With Regards~
Haunter aka Hayden
lakshit-rattan (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-13)
Hi Narcissa,
Up to an extent, I agree with your grandmother's sight, because there are several written documents in the Vedas that describe a brahmadaitya and it matches with the features you told. Anyways, thanks for sharing the story.

Regards,
Lakshiat
shiz98 (5 stories) (28 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-18)
My mom too saw something like that- white man wearing a turban under peepal tree on full moon night... Maybe now I am sure that was not a dream as your grandma also saw that...
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-07)
All I'm asking is that you not try to flame someone because you disagree with their opinion. That isn't contradictory, I'm just trying to avoid having to deal with a pointless internet argument, over a very old story.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-07)
Dear mod! OK, everyone is entitled to give their openineon here and exactly the same had been done by me against what yoyo1 had commented. But your statement, it was (with all due respect) a bit contradictory.
Hope that you have understand.

With regard and respect
Sushant
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-07)
Sushantkar, you've been on this site a good long while now. You know that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and sometimes that opinion involves a mundane explanation. Yoyo just gave his opinion, same as you do. Same as we all do. None of us ~have~ to accept the paranormal is the only possibility.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-07)
To yoyo1- The particular incident had taken place almost 70 to 80 years back. On this site, people from different part of the world shares their experience which are based on either self experienced or by their delphinium relatives so that source/reliability of the medium could be justified/ verified so as much as possible.
Since, most of the experience posted by the authors were sudden occurrence in the past so if someone is seeking for solid proof or providing it would not be possible in most of the cases.
But someone on the other hand could not falsified their experience either by saying that it was 'just their imagination' or 'day dream'.

Regards
yoyo1 (4 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-06)
Wait a minute. The entire incident focussed on the observation of someone without features. Thats it?

How do we know this wasn't just someone inflicted with a skin condition or suffering from burns? No way enough to justify ghosts. I think the location, time, and preconceived notions played on imagination!
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-06)
Although, this story is almost five years old so I don't expect any comments from the author. But truly, a spine shivering incident.
I actually attracted by the 'title' of the story.
Being from a bengali family, the term Brahmadaitya is not new for me. 100% marks for your Lively narration.

Regards
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-31)
hi, narcissa very neat and interesting story I really enjoyed it... Hey you've mentioned "Poite" ceremony Is is the ceremony where the sacred janeu is worn by Brahmins?

😕
villageboy101 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-29)
[at] allesgute154: I believe you are mistaken. The author means the darbha or kusha grass, which is different from duurva grass.

This one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmostachya_bipinnata

The darbha grass is said to have special purifying properties. It is said to even out the effects of the various elemental constituents and complexes of our body and our surroundings. It is said to be as effective as gold or perhaps more in that regard.

I know this is a very late response but I could not help but correct this.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-08)
Hi narcissa, I'm new to this site and came across this story today. Wonderful narration, I must say. But I have a little correction. Correct me if I am wrong. The 'durba' grass that you have mentioned is called 'durva' in Marathi. It's not a special grass as such. It is just plain grass with three corresponding tufts forming part of one branch of grass. It is considered dear to Lord Ganesha.
billyak18 (5 stories) (41 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-27)
Hi Narcissa, awesome story. I completely believe your story. I am from Kerala and even we do have a similar entity, known as Brahmarakshas. In our place it is said that a Brahmans soul becomes brahma rakshas if the Brahman dies an unnatural death or if the dead body is not given a proper funeral. A similar incident happened near to my home when my granddad was young. I have posted the story. Apart from that it is also said that these entities kill cattle's and if any one looks into its face they burn to ashes. It is very powerful and very difficult to calm. Most of the times special shrines are made for them once they are calmed down by prayers and offerings. Thank you for sharing. Take care. Cheers.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-19)
Brahmadaitya (or the Brahmin Demon) is believed to reside on a Bel tree (Belae fructus/Indian Bael) He wears a white Dhoti (Indian Loincloth) on the lower half and also a Khadam/Khadaaoon (wooden slippers).

Just furnishing what I know...

Thanks
Regards
ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-25)
Hi one correction In my post below I said 6.5 million people believe call and worship the protecting power as God when I actually meant to type there the amount of people as 6.5 billion. That is nearly almost close to the entire population of the world.
ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-25)
A new story and something fresh but there is something that must be said here no matter who or what has power in this world they or it are powerless before God. I for one have learned through real life experiences that there is a power that is limitlessly powerful and at the same time protects us from any evil biengs be it human or otherwise unless we ourselves make the mistake of falling prey to such evil because of our own mistakes. And I believe that nearly people amounting to almost around 6.5 million believe call and worship that power as God in many different forms.
vibhanim21 (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
why do they harm when no one else has harmed them? And are they supposed to be very powerful?
shaishav34 (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-08)
Great story,
Actually I am from Maharashtra, in our rural parts we too have a same kind of spirit of a Brahman, known in the local language as 'Munja'. It is said to be a really powerful spirit & examples of encounters with it can be heard from the rural folklore.
narcissa (4 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-26)
thanks davis for reading... Yep it might've been a similar sighting, in the story which you mentioned.
david181920 (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-04-24)
OMG what a scary story! It put a chill up my spine just reading it, thank you for posting it. I have heard a similar story where a coal miner went down a mine in England and after noticing a miner in old style clothes he followed him. After chasing and calling out to the other miner he eventually turned around to reveal a void face which the miner recounted as a ball of skin. The miner apparently went into a fit of screaming and was found by fellow workers in a "complete mess". Unsurprisingly he never worked in a coal mine after that again.
narcissa (4 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-22)
i am in fact, Shuddering to think what would've happened on that day had they got too near... They might've even died, the priest said 😭
narcissa (4 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
hey guys thanks for reading and commenting.

[at] Devios angel: yup it creeped me out too, when I heard it from her... Imagine seeing someone with no facial features! Yikes!

[at] cosmigal: yep she definitely should've been fired... Doono what happened to HER afterwards that incident though.

George: thanks! 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
I really love the stories you post, and I'm adding this one to my favorites. That would have scared the daylights out of me! Just the creepiness of KNOWING you are moving closer to something, but you never actually get closer...it's sort of like being in a dream where you run and run but never seem to go anywhere.

Thanks for sharing your grandmother's story!
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
Very interesting story. The way you described the demon having no facial features gave me the creeps! 😨 I'm glad your grandmother and her aunt recovered from their illness. And I hope that maid got fired for deliberately waking them up an hour earlier than she was supposed to. 😊
Georgeisalegend (35 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
Wow. I love your stories that you have posted up so far, I don't know why but they are really interesting!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: