You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Fathers Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

A Fathers Ghost

 

Yesterday my Father-in-Law passed away, he was 70+ years old and his health had been deteriorating for the last 2 years or so. My wife's family does not have a lot of finances or other luxuries, reasons to be explained in the following story.

My Father-in-Law spent most of his time lying on the couch in the living room taking in oxygen and watching local TV. When he couldn't sleep in the bed at nights he would get up and go lay on the "old couch" of which he was lying on when he passed away, yesterday.

My wife was close to her Father even though we would only get to visit once a month or so. I'm sure some understand this, work, school, kids... I gathered the kids from school yesterday and picked my wife up at work and told her the news, not easy, we then travelled to her parent's house. My wife was spending the night there with her other 2 siblings and Mother, not much room to sleep 4 adults, so my wife slept on the "old couch"

Thus, the beginning of my story:

She called me early this morning saying she was awoken from sleep, sometime between 2-4 a.m. On the couch her legs had fallen asleep and she heard "her dad" say get off of my couch. She also said there was a "fog like" around her at the time. She got very scared and went into her mother's small room and told her the story, of which her mom just laughed and said you can sleep in here with me tonight.

I have never known personally anyone with such a story and it was only until I started researching on the internet that I came across this website and felt it worthy to post and share, mainly for some responses from the members here.

Thank You in advance for any comments, good or bad.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Toolman, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Sweetlovely (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-09)
Hmm... The story is interesting and what I think is that it could have been your father-in-law's ghost. And 'get off my couch' sounds a little creepy to me. Anyway thanks for sharing. 😁

-Sweetlovely
midnight1105 (9 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-24)
I think it true that when people pass over, they have an anchor which makes them attached to a particular object/person, therefore having that spirit still be present. This can also happen when someone dies with an unfinished will like a message of some sort that they want to make clear before they can fully move on. I'm guessing because your father-in-law passed away on that very couch, he still feels attached to it as he did in life and is not ready to move on yet. Maybe it might help to tell your wife to tell the spirit that he will be missed greatly and that it is time for him to let go and move on. Even lighting a candle for him to commemorate him could possibly help. Sometimes, that little bit or permission or push is what the spirit needs to be on their way- I hope this helps 😊
TJR (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-13)
Toolman we are a reputable paranormal research group that does these kind of investigations. If you are interested, we have plenty of equipment to try and get evidence and we do a professional job. We will document and verify every piece of evidence that is found. We do not charge the client for this. Afterwards, after we review all of our evidence we will send you a dvd of all the evidence we did find.
You can email us at acknowledgingsupernaturalspirits [at] hotmail.com
zerozael (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-15)
My story is very much like the others. I was laying in bed on my back (this always seems to have when I am on my back so far) I feel asleep and later began to hear a guitar playing over my head when my eyes opened. I have a guitar so I peeked next to me and it was sitting on the bed, but the noise didn't seem to be coming from my guitar. I was completely stuck and could move nothing but my eyes. I did what I did the first time this happened to me and I was aware of it, except the first time I was able to move my arms a bit with much force, this time I was not. So, I began to think that I was a child of the one true God, and repeated this, but I noticed that the voice began to change, and sounded demonic, so much so that I thought it wasn't my thoughts at first. The episode on ceased when I saw a transparent figure floating above my head and I thought (I see you, I see you); I was then able to move. This happened to me about three times in a row, and the third time, I wasn't quite sleep and I felt the sensation coming over me. I recall thinking... I can feel it, its about to happen, and then it did. During this time I thought of just about every name I know, Jesus, Yaweeh, Jehovah, Elohiem... And nothing seemed to work at that time. I was able to move my arms when I thought Jesus, but the rest of my body was stuck. I began to hear the beep noise of what sounded like an old digital wrist watch, and I saw what looked like the outline of a red rose on the ceiling and wall everywhere I looked. But, I was wondering, has this ever happened to anyone here 3 times in a row. I've seen that typically once a person wakes it is usually over. I've never had it happen so many times at once.
JazzRaym (36 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-10)
yea what the hell, I thought that once the father dies he'll come back to take care of his family full of love, not coming just for saying 'get off of my bed', what the heck?
Brianna_Patrica (22 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-08)
Wow. I've never heard of spirits coming back a day after they're deceased. Well, if he doesn't bother anybody else (that DOESN'T sleep on his couch), I don't think it'll be a problem.
-Brianna ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-08)
Seems as though he might not have known he had passed away and seeing yor wife on the couch didn't think twice about saying something like that. In regards to the gurgling noise you heard from your closet I am not to sure on what that could have been? I don't think it is related though could you provide more detail at all. Hopefully he has moved on to the light. Has there been any other experiences since?

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
6thsense (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-07)
The father's soul is note yet prepared to enter the light, that's why his still wondering on that certain place, leave it alone as long as it doesn't harm anyone... Sooner or later he will leave the place peaceful 😁
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-06)
It could be the father and he still wants be in his facorite couch. I think he hasn't moved that is why he still wants to be in his favorite place.
johnpie2 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-06)
When he died his energy could of gone in to that chair, meaning he is a part of it.
Rashidah (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-06)
Great story. Experience is always better than what you have heard or read about. Most of the times when you experience something that is totally different from what you know, it means just that. Your experience is very solid.
Take it from me. I had to throw away some of the stuff I learnt to be true because experiences showed me differently.
Love your story. ❤
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-06)
Mate, you shouldn't receive any bad comments, don't worry about that and thank you for sharing your story, It is possible your father in law hasn't realized his past just yet and that's something you would expect to hear from him if that were the case... I heard something similar very recently but unlike your wife I was not frighten... But I can understand how she was and that is a normal reaction by most... I like the fact your mother in law had a laugh which suggest to me, she has no problem with him not moving on and he probably won't until its her time... Cheers thanks again.

Daz
shah_aagam777 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-05)
there are many people when they died there is something which they got attach to. So your wife s father was attach with that thing so burn that thing that will be good
oldgeorge (41 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-05)
Traditonal (and by that, I mean pre-Reformation) Christianity does not discount the fact that the souls of the departed do remain for a time after death, usually about three days, before entering into the journey to their rest. Your story is not so unusual: my grandfather visited the nursing home he spent his last days in and spoke with several other patients, which was reported by the manager to my mother when she called, a week later, to tell them he had passed. They already knew, and that surprised my mother because there had been no public announcement of his death.
Old tradition states the soul is accompanied for three days by the guardian angel and the messenger, who then escort the soul 'out,' which is difficult for us to apprehend because these are not physical states that occupy location. Our difficulty in understanding it may account for why the soul needs help. Once the three days pass, the soul has a battle with the conscience, where it must see its sins and regrets. Our prayers to God for the dead and their forgiveness help them deal with the lack of gratitude and other sins they had in this life. Eventually, they all pass to rest in God, except those who hate Him.
If the apparition continues, continue with prayer, Holy Water blessed by an Orthodox or Catholic priest, and do charity work in the name of your father-in-law. If this goes on more, then you might be dealing with a demon masquerading as him, which means you have to be ready for spiritual war. Hope this helps.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
Tradition has had, that anything associated with someone's death; such as clothing, the bed they were in, or in this case, the 'old couch' they died on, is often effected as being too closely tied to the death, and as a result- it is best to get rid of said items.
If there any mementoes that your wife has brought home from her father's death- I recommend you have it blessed by a priest.

If rain falls on a funeral procession, the deceased will go to heaven.

If you hear a clap of thunder following a burial it indicates that the soul of the departed has reached heaven.

If you hear 3 knocks and no one is there, it usually means someone close to you has died. The superstitious call this the 3 knocks of death.

If you leave something that belongs to you to the deceased, that means the person will come back to get you.

If a firefly/lightning bug gets into your house someone will soon die.
Http://friendsofoakgrovecemetery.org/victorian-funeral-customs-fears-and-superstitions/
Toolman (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
kardagen,
Thank you for a quick reply: It definitely made me re-think the whole after life experience. I was torn between my Christian beliefs and this incident that occurred in my family. I always thought when you die your Spirit moves on at that moment. I never really thought you had the choice or option to remain if you so choose. Brings me to mind of old movies were Indian spirits remain and watch over loved ones. I say Indian because my Father-in-Law was very much Indian in his nationality, Cherokee, guessing about 75% or more. I cannot deny the fact that this did indeed happen, so I would venture to say that he did remain like you stated to watch over his wife and 3 children, if only for a short period.
It has now been 11 days since his passing and we have not heard or seen anything else like this. Although, I may be reaching or looking for an indication now more then in the past. Two days after his passing I returned home with my 2 girls while my wife remained at her moms house. It was late and we had been down there all day from early morning 'til about 10.00pm. We arrived home about 11. 15 or so and I was getting clothes and other things together for our trip back down in the morning. The girls went straight to bed when we got home and I was in and out of the closet getting my clothes and clothes for my wife for the wake the next day. When I was done I heard a gurgling noise come from what sounded like it was right next to me, or maybe from the closet that I was in and out of earlier. It is right off our master bathroom anyway. I thought one of our 2 cats got in there and was throwing up, but it sounded different then that. So I opened the closet expecting to see a cat come running out, but there was no cat there. The cats were upstairs. The noise sounded different then that anyhow. I'm not sure how that can be related, I just thought it was odd and worth mentioning.
kardagen (2 stories) (161 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
Toolman: thanks for sharing, it is very Lilly your father in law is still there. If the entity was able to recognize, and respond to the fact your wife was on "his couch" it points toward a "intellegent" haunting. Very Lilly he didn't know he haw passed. Or has decided to stay behind to look over the family a while longer. But let me ask you: if he is there, and is intellgent. How do you feel about it?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: