You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Dead Man In Attic

Real Ghost Stories

Dead Man In Attic

 

Growing up, I had a best friend who was a guy, his name is Joe. He and I would spend all day with each other and spend all night on the phone with each other. We obviously had our circle of friends and one of our friends in particular was my exboyfriend (we were a clique of 3. My ex and I somehow ended up together).

One day, a few of us go hang out, play handball, you know, the works. We get into his place that night (his mom and sister were out of town) and decided to all sleep over. We were all in our little nooks that we made, put on some movies, and stacked massive amounts of junk food in our mouths. As the night continues, we hear a loud bang against the floor. It sounded like the handball had been thrown against the floor. We open the door and we see the handball (that was placed on the counter) bouncing up and down. Now we know the difference between a handball being thrown on the floor as opposed from falling on the floor.

We let it go, thinking that we were all being paranoid. So the night goes on and we turn on the fan. When the fan was on, we all heard music. Not recent music or anything modern. More like old, depressing 1950's type stuff. When the fan was off, we did not hear anything.

When I used to go to that house, I would put my things in one area. One day, I put it in my little nook that I made for myself in his room like I usually do. When I was about to leave, I cannot find my phone. I had no reason to take it out of my purse because everyone who contacts me was in the room. I decided to leave it behind, because if anything, I'm going to be there the next day. As I was walking out, I see it on the kitchen floor.

As the weeks go by, we act like nothing ever happened. As if we were just imaging it. One day, I get a phone call from my ex and he sounded a little weirded out. I ask him was wrong and he said that he and Joe were bored and started looking through stuff in the house and found skeletal remains in the attic. So we do some investigating and we later find out that the man who used to live in that apartment vanished without a trace.

Other hauntings by chopsticks1

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, chopsticks1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

missy-ryton (5 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-16)
I'm sorry but I find this story a little far fetched. I'm not saying your a liar but he just happened to find a skeleton in the attic, and the remains happened to belong to a guy that dissapeared and no police, crime scene detectives or even the people who reported him missing bothered checking his house? Apart from the fact that the body would of had to of been there quite a while before it was reduced to it being a skeleton, I find it hard that in the years that takes nobody noticed a smell, or a bug infestation, or as the flesh and organs rotted i'd assume there would be a mold problem on the ceiling below where the body was and nobody noticed anything?

Another thing that kind of bothers me about it is you said your boyfriend called sounding "a little weirded out" I know people react to things differently but I believe anyone who just happened to find a dead guy lying around in the attic would be very distraught by it, I personally would be traumatized and most probably move out, not that it would have taken much because while the police investigate the house would most likely be out of bounds until the case closed, and with a story like that you can guarantee the media would of been all over it.

I think they were just having your life lol. It was a good read though, would make a good story to tell the kids at halloween.
Take care
Missy. 😊
ghosty24 (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-08)
i bet the ghost was trying to tell you where the
skeletal remains were!
ams112700 (27 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-02)
OMG Do you think he killed himslef or someone killed him? And do you know how long ago it was when he was killed? That would be really scary to find out there was a skeleton in his own house!
CountryGirl16 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-25)
Wow creepy! Now they know where he is or was! It's scary to think that you're looking in an attic and find somones body. I remember one day I was looking in my attic I found books and old fashioned clothes and posibly a little girls doll. I also found a few letters from a husband to his wife saying the war was almost over and stuff. Turns out when he got home he found her lying on the floor dead as a door nail. Hope everythings better. But I do agree 100% they wood've searched the whole entire house top to bottom

-brittany
666devilchicks (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-29)
🤔 how long had he lived in that house cause if I had even just moved into a house I wouldve looked in the attic so maybe they were puttinn you on

Did you ever see the 'bones in the attic'?

Anyway hope it all works out ❤
chopsticks1 (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-03)
honestly, I never went back to the house. And my ex and I broke up less than a week later, and our friend chose his side so I never asked nor did I care enough to ask what happened.
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
I'm going to agree that they would have searched the house, but I'm going to point something out. The murderer of the guy that went missing could have brought the body back to the house AFTER the police had searched it. Police never usually check a house more than once for what they need, and even then, it doesn't take that long, maybe a couple days at most. Depending on the murderer's resources, the body could have survived in another place for quite a long time - like a freezer. In fact, A frozen or chilled body takes much longer to decompose than a body stored at room temperature or hotter.

We must remember - murserers are a grotesque breed of people, and will do many things to avoid being caught. Relocating a corpse could be/is a very common process. I know I sound weird talking/knowing about this, but I am very interested in forensics and criminal law, and, well, some of the stuff I've read about/seen has been so very off the wall, that hiding a body in a freezer and relocating it almost seems normal and tame. 😕

I do want to know what became of that skeleton, however. 😆

Penny ❤
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
If they truely did find the remains then that's what the activity could have been about. A little direction so the body could be found and the spirit put to rest.

However I agree with people below. If he went missing without a trace then surely detectives and forensics would have searched the house, it would have been first on the list and they would have combed it from top to bottom. Did you ever see the skeleton? Are you guys sure it was a human skeleton if you did see it?

Thanks for sharing your story.
reneespring (148 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
If he had vanished without a trace, investigators would have searched the whole house for any clues. Skeletal remains would've been first on the list of clues and would've been taken away by the authorities, so I don't know how your friends found that or what it really was.
gruntman (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
Well if that is true then there's your problem. If not then who knows. I would investigate and find out more about this person that vanished. All in all, who really knows.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
Did the police confirm the bones your ex found to be those of the resident that had gone missing? Well I guess there was a trace, lol! I wonder why, when he went missing they wouldn't search the WHOLE house. Especially when the body started to rot & stink. I think the guys were pulling your leg.

~LSD~

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: