You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Strange Sleeping Experience

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Sleeping Experience

 

My name is Stephanie and I am still a young adult. I was trying to find out what had happened to me last night and this is a site that I had found. But now that I am writing it, I think I'm at the wrong place maybe. Last night I was sleeping and I had just started to drift off when all of a sudden something very scary happened. I am a christian and try to be religious, although lately I am somewhat not doing as well as I should be. But this is what happened next.

I felt my self saying over and over the words "Lord please help me and be with me and in my dreams tonight". After repeating it many times, it felt like something or someone wanted me to stop and I felt like my heart stopped and I could no longer breathe and I felt like I was trying to say it, but they did not want me to and I was so scared. Then I'm not sure If I really had said this aloud, but I felt like the thing that was trying to stop me took over my body for a minute and I felt paralyzed and a weird voice took over mine as I was trying to ask help from the Lord. Then suddenly I woke up sort of out of breath and horrified.

I immediately thought of a demon or something, having seen scary movies such as the exorcism of emily rose. I have heard of sleep paralysis. Is this what it is? Or is something trying to take over my body? All I know is that it scared the living crap out of me and I want to know what happened. I'm still pretty young so I went into my mother's room and tried to sleep in her bed. I was so scared but eventually fell asleep.

There has to be someone with this same occurrence or something like this. I want to know. Thanks.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sweetheart, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-18)
Regardless of the situation, if this was a case of sleep paralysis or an encounter, you sound as if you were affected and frightened.

If you should encounter anything like this again, DO NOT let your faith be shaken or taken by anything or anyone! Shut out the thoughts of something taking hold, close off the fear and pray.

I realize this is easier said than done, but keep in mind that a very probable theory is that these 'things', entities, demons, ghosts, or anything else thrive off of fear. Fear gives them energy to make them more powerful or to allow them to manifest for a longer period of time.

Thank you for sharing your story!
God Bless!
themymble (2 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-07)
this has happened to me alot. What's really scary is that it happened to me last week but my daughter was sleeping next to me. I woke up with that same feeling but saw something hovering over her, I kept trying to say "stay away from her" and fight against what was paralyzing me but I couldn't. I tried to scream out but couldn't, I was even trying to call out to my husband who was downstairs working late in his office and I couldn't get the words out then suddenly I fell asleep and woke up it felt not too long afterwards. I was so freaked out that I turned on all the lights and did not sleep the rest of the night. If anyone has had any experiences similar please respond. If it was sleep paralysis why would it involve my daughter too and seeing something hovering over her?
Nyx (7 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-21)
Response to Shane's comment...

Teeth grinding while asleep - yup
Sleep talking - yup
Stress - yup

YAY! I won the sleep paralysis/parasomnia lottery! 😊
Nyx (7 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-21)
Hi Stephanie. Yes, what you experienced sounds just like something that I have experienced on a number of occasions. I have had experiences with classic sleep paralysis or "old hag" syndrome, but also a different kind. (see this link for my explanation of the first)
http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=1202

With the second type, I generally experience it when I'm lying on my side and it happens as I start to fall asleep. I feel as though my mind has suddenly been taken over by something very evil. It wants to harm me and it gets inside my head. I'm not sure how to describe the feeling it gives me, but it's unbearable. The evil force crushes in on my mind and fills my head with confusion and chaos and noise. I try to make it stop but it has such a strong hold on my mind. All I can do is lay there unable to move or scream. (I think my eyes are always closed with this type. I don't recall having them open.) Eventually I am able to escape it's grasp and fully awaken. It's very frightening and I didn't know what was happening to me the first few times. I eventually realized that it was just another form of sleep paralysis, however that doesn't make it feel any less scary while it's occurring. When it's happening you just feel so helpless. I tend to have the problem of it recurring once or twice in the same night if I just try falling back asleep right away. Sometimes I can actually feel it coming on again (for a second round before I get too deep into sleep) and I'm able to wake myself up and stop it.

If it happens again, try getting up and walking around to keep your brain from relapsing. I know it's difficult though. It's so disruptive. (I'm Catholic and I go to church every Sunday if it makes you feel better...?)

😉

So no worries!
Nyx (7 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-20)
Yes, I believe your have described sleep paralysis as I have had a similar experiences (and I have also had classic sleep paralysis experiences). It's happened to me about a dozen times. An evil spirit in my head trying to take over. I will elaborate soon when I have time! You have nothing to fear, though I know it's really frightening!
unguided_traveler (9 stories) (35 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-18)
Hey, Stephanie? I'm sorry that it tried to take over you and scared you like that. I've had problems with those things myself. Everyone, even my family, thinks I'm just wacko and they are worried about my mental state, but I am perfectly lucid!
Ahem, anyway, I'm glad that you managed to break free of its hold. And though I'm not a religious person I say... Trust in God. My mom seems to think that he can protect you, though he's never done so for me. I'm sure it's got something to do with believing in a higher power but...i'm getting off topic, all I wanted to say was Peace and Happiness to you always.
Hada (36 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-18)
Another classic case of the bold attempts of the denizens of hell to grasp a person's faith. Your fear fuels their power. You must secure your faith that no harm can come to you except by God's leave. Know that these creatures, the jinn, made from smokeless fire reside, eat, drink and sleep in our homes. They are a whole community who play and ploy with man and his will. They arouse fear through what can only be described as temporary possession, being immobilized though fully cognizant of what's going on. They are able to withhold the body though not the spirit. I recommend saying the word "Allah" loudly ie, God in Arabic if you happen to find yourself in this position (God forbid)again. I have found it is the easiest and only word that can be uttered as it requires only one upward movement of the tongue, particularly when all muscles are in a state of arrest. Upon saying this word, the sensation of imprisonment disperses immediately. These creatures of fire, mostly demon-folk have fear as well, the fear of the Almighty so mention his name.
michaelangelina (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-18)
Keep praying and know that God is stronger than any evil spirit.
A similar situation happened to me too.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-17)
Well for once I guess I am going to be the odd one out. I believe that you had a classic example of sleep paralysis. You probably have what is known as parasomnia. Do you have a history of sleep walking or talking, grinding your teeth, etc? Were you stressed out or excited about something before you went to bed? If you can answer yes to one or more of these question then more than likely it is sleep paralysis. If not then look into the other possiblities. Always try to eliminate the obvious before coming to the conclusion it is paranormal.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
redone1867 (4 stories) (37 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-17)
Stephanie, I have had the same occurance many times. Even though I have many different beliefs I always ask that the lord to watch over and protect my friends and family. Usually I do it when I have the utmost scared feeling, now I don't think you were experiencing sleep paralysis. I believe there was an evil entity and you sensed it. I have done this in my room many times. When I'm about to fall asleep I will feel an absolute feeling of dread. I ask the lord be with me and I immeadiately start taunting the thing back. Telling it to leave and it is not welcome here and to leave. Show no fear. They like this. "yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil," Is this the first time it has been in your home?
Lisa
goldenone13 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-15)
Ugh... I think any spirit that tries to control you is A) Pretty powerful and B) Probably evil. Especialy if it doesn't like you praying. My advise, get help soon.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: