You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Asleep But Awake

Real Ghost Stories

Asleep But Awake

 

Long time since I posted. So, Last night I was sleeping... I had a very odd experience. I was trying to sleep and it was like there was a presence in my bedroom. I've had this before in my old house, but unfortunately I was unable to post as I wasn't sure if it was a dream...

I remember last night waking up and being unable to keep my eyes open. My shoulders were being pinned to the bed and I couldn't move for a few minutes (Much like last time this had happened to me) after a few minutes this was over and I could move again. I tried to check my phone but it was almost like the screen was dimming in and out of focus, I sat up and tried to turn my light on which wouldn't turn on. This panicked me... When I had eventually woken up fully, light on and everything, phone back to normal... I had the most awful feeling. I remember thinking I needed to call one of my friends because something was wrong... But when I had woken up in the morning I couldn't for the life of me remember who it was that I needed to call. So upon calling around all my friends they were all ok... I don't remember much of what happened, but I know it was enough to freak me out enough to have to sit up with the light on for about an hour...

This has happened to me before periodically. Always dies down after I move locations but will eventually happen again. Luckily things have seemed to die down, but I don't tend to pay them much attention when they do. I think the best way is to just not feed into it?

The first time I remember anything similar happening was when I was unwell from school once, falling asleep on the sofa I had a VERY vivid dream... About a young boy who just kept antagonising me, He really got me angry. When I woke up my house just didn't feel empty. If anyone wants any more details on that dream just ask I won't post it on here as I cannot be 100% certain the dream has anything to do with these experiences I seem to be prone to.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by clo-clo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, clo-clo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

clo-clo (4 stories) (26 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-27)
Sorry it's been a while since I've replied. It's a strange feeling recently I've had a couple and I've known that I've been asleep but desperately trying to wake up to no success. The most recent was a few weeks back now. I went to sleep at about 10, my brother woke me up by being noisy outside of my room after an hour of sleep (I'm an awful sleeper) and after that I just laid in bed drifting in and out of sleep. I have a white ceiling fan in my room. I was convinced that it was an old woman's haggard face. It was really scary, I had that same feeling that something was wrong, I even felt myself open my eyes really wide to try and wake up but I couldn't. I even felt myself moving my body slightly as I was trying to wake up. This went on for maybe 10 minutes (I think) before I woke up fully and turned on the light. (I find that I have to wake myself up fully before trying to sleep again otherwise I fall straight back into the same situation.)

When this happens I feel like I'm awake but almost as If I'm drunk or have been drugged. My body is very heavy and everything is so much effort and energy to move, almost as if I have no energy. My hearing is still ok but a bit distorted. Some times I dream there are people walking around my bedroom, even though I know that's impossible as I have a key lock on my door. On occasion I have also felt as if I've been dragged down out of my bed on the floor and had to struggle to climb into bed. The most intense was the time I felt like I was struggling to get out of bed to walk to my mums room and when I woke up I was actually stood at the foot of her bed with her asking me what I was doing. Very strange indeed.
SpiritOfTheWorld (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-27)
I had an experience like this. It still bothers me. What happened was I don't know if I fell asleep or what but I opened my eyes and I was in my bed but something felt wrong. I heard some noises and swear I heard someone or something next to me in my bed. I felt warm. I was scared. Unlike my other dreams I could actually move. I tried to get up too call for help because I was scared. But it felt like like the thing hit me on my head I actually felt it hit me and I think I blacked out. I woke up in the morning freaked out. Asking myself was I asleep or awake?
mzreis315 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-27)
Wow...ive had this experience so many times, I never looked into it or anything until now. The first time it happened was the night I tried to kill myself. I seen a dark shadow at the end of my bed and angels flying over me. Thru out that night I felt held down to my bed, I couldn't move no matter hard I tried to find it, I tried screaming for my mom but I couldnt. I felt my heart beat slowed down drastically. I fought and fought and would be able to reach the touch lamp next to my bed and turn the lights on. Then I would fall back asleep, with the light on only to wake up with the light off again and my body held down. I thought maybe death was coming for me or I was dreaming that was in 02. Then it happened to me again years after that incident during the day (06). Recently it happened again, this time my husband was just feets away, we had gotten into a fight and I slept on the couch in our br, he was on the bed. That night I woke up being held down, I remember trying to get up and screaming for my husband. No to avail. I don't know what's happening to me, but I also see a lot of shadows and feel spirits around me. Thanks for reading my experiences. 😐
DessieMartin (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-27)
I swear the same exact thing happen to me! I was sleeping and I woke up but I couldn't move, it was like some kind of strong force was holding me down. When I tried to scream 'help' my mouth couldn't open. I was too scared to close my eyes again. I told my mother about it & she just told me to pray. This happen 3 times but about months ago. I've always thought that that was the way a spirit can enter our bodies, when we sleep. I hope I'm not freaking you out but I think it was a sign a spirit tried to posess you. Look, It happened to me too, I get chills thinkng of it but just know that your heart is good and no unwanted presence will ever posess.
I hope NEITHER of us expierence another one of those;) ❤
beanabus (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-24)
This definately sounds like sleep paralysis (SP) I've had SP for years but what makes this story interesting is it also sounds like you had an out of body experience. Recently I've been able to use SP as a gateway for astral projection, there are times when like you I would think I was awake and try to open my door and turn my light on and became scared when I couldn't, or things would look just a little 'not right' and would make me feel uneasy. Looking back these were all out of body experiences, your astral body trying to function like your physical one. Now when I have SP I can often just tell myself to sit up and do so, get out of bed, turn round and see my physical body asleep on the bed 😊 I'd be interested to hear more about this story, when you were 'pinned down' did you hear any strange noises?

XxHolliexxx
guddughostbuster (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-24)
yes this dream of yours is similar to mine too as I had such a nightmare where I tried to shout but I couldn't see or open my mouth these things are normal
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-23)
I appreciate the fact you make sure your experiences aren't just dreams before you post them. I wish everyone on here did the same thing 😉. Anyways, what your going through seems frightening. Next time keep a journal next to your bed and see if there is a pattern to these experiences. Keep us posted.
Nyrican11 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-23)
Wow, that would startle me as well. Actually, I remember having several "dreams" when I was around age 9 I believe, where I would lay down to sleep, and then I'd "dream" that I was sleeping in the same bed, atmosphere, everything, almost as though I wasn't sleeping at all. I would have this grip on me where I couldn't move. If I tried to call out, my voice would be muted and I couldn't be heard, nor could I hear myself. It would trouble me to try to scream and my breath would be shortened each time I tried to call out to someone to help me. I used to have them often when young but thankfully haven't had any in my adult years. So I can sympathize with your experience in a way. Hope you don't have them occur again anytime soon.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: