You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Growing Up With A Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Growing Up With A Ghost

 

This story is something I have wanted to write down for a long time. It combines a mixture of personal memories from myself and stories from my family.

I was born on a council estate in North Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England. There was my Mam and Dad and, at the time, my younger sister. I remember from a very young age the feeling of dread when I walked up the staircase to visit the toilet or go to my room. I would stop and look behind me and then run up the stairs. The strangest thing about this I remember jumping from the top of the stairs and being taken hold of, and the only way I cam describe it is "floating to the bottom. I do not know whether I was dreaming this or it actually happened. Here is the strange thing, years later my sister and I were talking about the old house (we had moved at this point) with our family over a few drinks at Christmas time. I told her about my experiences and she said the SAME thing used to happen to her!

During this family get-together one Christmas night, a lot of stories came to the forefront. Apparently, according to my parents, I ran in from the garden one day and stated that I had been talking to an old man in the garden, but there was nobody there.

One day my Mam and Dad went out for the night and we were being babysat by my dad's younger sister. Nothing happened whilst they were out but it did when they came back. She said she was talking to them in front of the fire (she was standing in front of them, they were sitting down). Alison went white. When asked what was the matter, she replied, "Did you not see that man walk past you?"

Other things like when I was young in my cot, and asleep in my own room, my dad said he could hear my potty moving around the bedroom. When he went to inspect, it was quiet. (His was in the bedroom next to me.) He even jammed the potty under the cot leg and still heard the noise! He went to inspect and it had been moved from being jammed under the cot leg!

Our neighbours complained also about loud banging and noises from our heating pipes... But we had silence from our house.

Lastly, the strangest story. My parents were asleep one night and were both awoken by a noise coming from their bedroom door. My dad said that there was a white light coming from the bedroom door and it was opening! The scary thing is the door was opening the wrong way. It was opening back on itself instead of into the bedroom. My parents said they put their heads under the blankets and it went away.

All the other houses around this one are more or less knocked down now for new development, but this one is still standing.

I have nightmares about the place and wonder if strange things are still happening to the present family. I was so young, was I dreaming? Or what about the stories from different sources? You decide:)

I have had a few other ghostly experiences - at other homes. I might publish these later.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Daveb, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
Intriguing indeed, especially the experience your parents related to you about the white light and the door opening in reverse. Perhaps before you had moved in to the home that was the way it opened and the layout was differant.
I get the feeling that something occured within that home that is causing these experiences and didn't have much to do with yourselves in general, I have no doubt that whoever lives there now is experiencing something as well. It doesn't seem malevolent at all and as Geetha50 mentioned perhaps a drive by and talk to whoever resides there now and some sluething on the history may shed some light on why these things were and are happening.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
scifiguy (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-25)
I used to have dreams of me jumping from the top of the stairs down to the bottom. I still can experience it whilst i'm typing this. I would just like to point out that when you go to sleep, you enter the Astro World (like when Neo get's plugged in the matrix from the 1999 Matrix movie) and everything that happens there can be real or fictional. In fact, anything that happens in the Astro world can even happen in the real world. Ergo the reason some people get very major deja vu's.If you don't understand what I'm talking about, google Astro World and then you'll understand.

It's strange how I have the same type of experiences like you...
Curious999 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-25)
Your experience came quite simmilar to my dad's villa when he was young though he recall seeing a senior age man staring at him when he was combing his hair
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-23)
Hi Daveb:

From what this sounds like to me, this entity was only there to help you so that leads me to believe that it was either a guardian or a relative that had passed. I actually grew up in a "haunted house" or so I believed it to be, and to this day I still have dreams about that house. The house still stands but I refuse to go back. I think it is best to leave the past behind us.

Zeta.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-23)
Lmmfaoooo! I lost 2 karma points for that comment? This just goes to show how intune all of you ' paranormal pros' you jits are...

Later.
spirtsercher (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-21)
Interesting... I don't think you were simply imagining things. First if you sister felt the samething to then it may have some true things to it but it could possably be some kind of air pressure thingy or something sciencey. 😉 anyways as forthe old man he may be responsable for the things you and your family have experianced.
Thanks
😁 Rachel 😁
DeathXFury123 (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-21)
I think the ghost follows you to protect you in danger and maybe the ghost is your friend 😕
sara77 (1 stories) (40 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-21)
Yep,its true Fanny, you are a Vag down here in Australia aswell 😊

Daveb- Please investigate this further and let us know what you find out, do it while you can before it gets torn down or you might regret it.
I remember having a conversation with my Mum about a house that I lived in from about 7 months old until I was about 4, I was asking if we had a lot of money back then as I remember the house being HUGE! Mum laughed and said that it was a dinky little dump. To me it will always be a mansion
😊
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Geetha,

I know I disappeared for awhile. I got really busy with work, but I'm back a ready to go. Just check out my last comment to an idiot who is going around telling women who miscarry that their fetus don't have a soul and therefore don't got to heaven... She certainly got a faceful of Fanny!

Anyway, fun fact and because the OP is from the UK I'll tell you a little something something... My full name is actually Stephanie, but my older sister couldn't say my name and that is how I got the name Fanny. I never really thought anything about it. Us people in North America think Fanny means your tush, but in reality and in particularly in the UK, Fanny is a bad word for your lady bits! Not really a big deal if you aren't from the UK, you wouldn't know that... Except by dad was born in England and he and my grandparents were raised over there so they have all been knowingly calling me a vagina my whole life! I now have two nephews and my sister thinks it's funny to leave messages on the facebook to Aunt Vagina from my nephews!

Back me up on this OP! It's true!

Still happy I'm back or was that too much information for you?

Sorry to steal your message board I'm just so happy to me back!

Best Fanny ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
I know Fanny, I was laughing at that comment also. It's so different the way we talk and write.

Fanny,
I have seen you in a while?!?
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Sorry, it made me laugh when you said "when I went to visit the toilet". I'm not making fun of you, you just made it sound like a road trip lol.

I used to dream I was flying down the stairs of the house I grew up in and it really freaked me out. I agree with the others and think you should go back and talk to the new owners. You may actually be doing them a favour and confirm their suspicions... You never know. I really hope you get the answers that you are looking for.

Best Fanny ❤
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
I, too had nightmares for years after moving out of the home I turned 4 in. My memories were all confirmed by my family so I know most of it was very real. The nightmares, though really started to get to me. So I went back to where the house had been & new townhomes were built over it. I got out of my car & those old feelings would come back. The feeling that I knew something demonic was watching me & knew who I was. I started to cry a little. I just felt so ripped off by these spirits in a way. Because of the spiritual warfare I witnessed at such a young age gave me a very abnormal childhood... I was always the weird one if you know what I mean. And I still am for that matter. But as I walked around those town homes I came to a spot in the back that used to be our back garden but was now a car park. I got very afraid & was going to leave when I just started getting SO angry at these spirits who tortured me my whole life. So I started praying out loud. It turned into me praying out loud in tongues. This lasted a good 20 minute No one came out to see who the crazy praying chick was, or no one was there at the time. When I was headed back to my car I heard someone almist sneer at me & mock me. So I turned around to face it, with my new fou. D power & bravery the Lord had blessed me with & said "No!YOU DONT SCARE ME ANY MORE! YOU ARENT ALOUD TO! GET OUT OF MY LIFE IN JESUS' NAME.& LEAVE ME THE HE K ALO.E!" Lol. Seriously. I'm sure folks were looking out there windows thinking what a crazy chick I was lol. I know I would be... But I told you this to let you know that by my doing this I took back authority of my life, my heart, my spirit. I don't have nightmares about the place any more. The spiritual warfare continues. But that will always be & its something I have come to respect & expect being a soldier in the Kingdom of God.
I hope you can free yourself of these dreams aswell. I wanted you to know that you do hold the power to do so. Thanks for listening. Bless you & yours.

LSD
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
That is certainly weird. It's not you because your whole family experienced things. Have you or your parents taken a look at the history of the house? Something might have happened there. You mentioned that this house is still standing and that there are new occupants in that house. Why don't drive by and see if you can talk to them and / or see for yourself if someone / thing is still there.
Rozo (3 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Hey Daveb, sounds to me this is cut right down the middle on real experiences and very life like dreams!
You just need to figure out which are which... You could obviously take into account what your parents have told you is real... Part with them putting their heads under the covers makes me laugh! Parents are supposed to be scared of nothing right?

Maybe go back to the house, now that your older and take your sister and parents with and see what's what!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: