You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Mrs. Morris

Real Ghost Stories

Mrs. Morris

 

Around the time that I was born, my parents were offered a house in Indiana. A friend of my father offered to let us use it. The friend said he would pay the rent as long as we took care of it. This friend, his mother had recently died in that house. A lot of his mother's belongings were still stored in there and, I'm guessing, he wasn't ready to give up the house to a stranger yet. My parents didn't have enough money to buy their own house, and they knew him well, so they gladly offered to live there and keep up the house for him. We were there for about the first year and a half of my life then my dad found a better job in another state. We moved before I was old enough to have memories of that house. But my parents have told me their own stories about a spirit being in that house.

Mrs. Morris was the name of the woman who had died in that house. I didn't know her first name. So I'll just refer to her as that. And as far as my parents could tell. Her spirit had not left that house! They felt and saw some strange things. My mother was home a lot when we lived there, since I was a newborn and she was taking care of me. My mother said she would come into my room in the morning to check on me, and the light in there didn't look natural. Not in a bad or creepy way, but in a good way. She said that there was a certain kind of light in there that seemed brighter, but yet softer. The way you would imagine a heavenly kind of scene. There wasn't really a reason, naturally, why my room would have different light. And that wasn't even the most surprising experience. There were more.

My dad had some paintings he was working on in the basement. One night he was really tired, so he went to bed and forgot to the close his turpentine bottle. If you know anything about art. You know it's bad to have that stuff open with no ventilation. Especially since I was a baby and the fumes were coming up into my room! My dad felt terrible but my mom told him it was ok. Because something woke her up to warn her. She woke up in the middle of the night, to someone calling her name. She thought it was my dad, but he was dead tired and sound asleep the whole night. As soon as she heard her name called, she realized something smelled bad in the house. She went down and closed the turpentine bottle right away. Then she went back to bed. With no clue who woke her up at the exact right moment!

There were a few other instances like that. My mother fell asleep, by accident, when she was supposed to be watching me. She jolted awake like someone had shook her. And then looked over and realized I was gone. She found me just before I was about to put a nail in my mouth! I must have pulled it out of the wall or carpet.It's obviously not easy to keep up with a baby. But she seemed to have something helping her out when she made a mistake! I wish I would have been old enough to talk cause my parents said I seemed to be aware of something too. My dad said I would sometimes look down the hallway as if I saw someone there. Intensely like I saw something fascinating there. I probably did since young kids see spirits easily.

It would make sense why she was still in that house. When she was living she was struggling because her son was grown and busy with his own life, plus she was divorced. She was pretty lonely.I'm guessing that when a knew family moved in she wanted to be in that environment again. She probably wanted to be a motherly spirit and maybe felt it was her job to help look after me. I even have a feeling she followed us to our next house and was helping there too (because, as an infant, my sister fell down steep concrete steps and somehow came out without any injuries. Which doesn't really make sense!)

So what do you think? Were they weird coincidences... Or was Mrs. Morris still there?

Other hauntings by Andrea22

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Andrea22, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghost_seeker (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-28)
I'm more inclined to believe that it was Mrs. Morris though. If it were her guardian spirit, it would be with her always wouldn't it? In the traditions of my people (I'm Apache) when a person passes into the next world. The family will always take everything that belonged to the person and sell it. In some families they will burn the clothing and blankets. Once the items are gone, the energy of the person has nothing to hold onto anymore. Just some insights.:) Great story and Thank you for sharing!
Andrea22 (5 stories) (65 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-27)
That's an interesting thought... I didn't know about guardian spirits. It may have been that! But I still have a hint it may have been her. Since we kind of brought her house back to life after her lonely period... And it seems possible she wanted to be there for it's better days. I don't know for sure... But I know I'm forever grateful they kept me safe as infant!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-26)
I feel sorry for Mrs Morris that she was lonely up to the end of her physical life, I have no doubt whatsoever that she was looking out for you and your family whilst you were living at the home. I hope she has moved on and is happy on her spiritual journey! 😊

Dan
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-26)
Maybe you are correct about Mrs. Morris but I would rather suggest that it may have been your guardian spirit. If Mrs. Morris was so lonely here on earth, it is in my belief (I understand not all people's belief) that she has found family and friends on the other side. She would not wish to stay in this house where she felt so lonely. I think it is a guardian that watches over you and your family... Could be a lost relative (grandparent) or maybe just a guardian. We all have them. Most of us don't get so lucky to get such a "hands on" one. 😊 Good luck to you.

Zeta.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-09-26)
Hi Andrea22, I love these types of stories. It's nice to hear about helpful spirits looking out for the families who live in the house. I would like to think it was Mrs. Morris giving your mom a heads up when you could have been hurt. 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: