You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Thing In The Fields

Real Ghost Stories

The Thing In The Fields

 

My Grandpa is 73 years old, and one thing I would know about him, is that he would never tell a lie.

My Grandpa's Grandpa owned a farm in South Dakota (where he is from), and just a little ways from his farm, was a bar, and you had to walk about a mile on a dirt path to get there. Now in my Grandpa's time, teenagers (my Grandpa was, at the time, 15) could go into a small town bar at any time, whenever they wanted, because they needed the business.

So at about 9:00 p.m. In the summer time, my Grandpa and his brother, Warren, went out to the bar to shoot pool (they did not have a drop of alcohol), and once they were done, it was about 11:30 p.m. They were walking slowly (Warren was on crutches) and talking to each other when Warren noticed something.

They noticed a tall, black figure walking, and stepping when they stepped, parallel to my Grandpa's feet. My Grandpa threw rocks at it, but nothing happened, as it seemed, the rocks would go right through this figure.

My Grandpa, scared, ran as fast as he could, but forgot Warren behind him, and the figure disappeared. They hurried to their Grandpa's farm, going as fast as they could and eventually got there around 12:30 a.m. Now this is where it gets really eerie.

When my Grandpa got in the house, he locked the door behind him. But as they were trying to imagine what was that thing, something was tugging on the door. Their Grandpa, fast as wind, went to the door with a gun in his hand. But as he opened the door, nothing was there.

Tomorrow morning, they found SMALL footprints EXACTLY where my Grandpa saw this figure, which is abnormal for how tall this thing was. Oddly enough, there wasn't any footprints next, or in front of the house.

Their house was in the middle of nowhere. There was not anyone at the bar except the manager, who was short, and was there when they left, and themselves. And that was the only thing in circumference to their farm; it was an extremely low chance that a human could've been there that fateful night.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Dakota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 1GhostStory, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

1GhostStory (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-03)
He did not remember what phase of moon it was, so it might have been his own shadow, but the odds are low.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-02)
Elementals are usually odd in their appearance. Things like big hands and feet, backward feet, backward knees, large ears are all separate descriptions I have heard used to describe them. They are as varied in appearance as we are. To me it sounds like an earth wight, because it looked shadowy... The difference between fey beings and ghosts is that, like angels or demons, elementals aren't of human origin... They are something else. Ghosts are often human in appearance or manner... Elementals tend to be harmless unless a place they hold sacred, a tree, a river, a cairn, a field... Their dwelling...is disturbed.
johnnycashmuse (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
1GhostStory,
I believe it is a Keeper of the Feilds (Creole Name in english) or a Elemental. A kind of guardian or spirit that protects land, air, water, animals and crops. They often are see at night and seem like a tall dark shadow. They will follow and or walk with people usually only to make sure that these people arent doing anything wrong to the area that they are protecting or watching and protecting the people themselves to make sure they get where they are going saftely.

I doubt it is a shadow unless they saw it on a wall or along the ground but they were out in farm land at night. I'm sure that at 15 they know what is a shadow and what isn't they werent young kids.

JACQUIE. 😁
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
Well, to me it definitely sounds like an elemental. Please bear in mind, however, that I always think everything is elemental... Because I am utterly in love with all things fey. Lol.
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
I have to agree with Rook. The dots don't connect for me. I feel like a detail or two are missing.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
Curious question here... What are the odds that what they saw was your Grandpa's shadow cast by moonlight? The light striking your... Something about your description made me thing it was his shadow... Does he remember the phase of the moon on this night?

Could the door not wanting to close been caused by higher than normal humidity?

Sorry...I am not trying to 'bash' this experience but these questions came to mind as I read this.

Respectfully,

Rook
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-30)
That has to be one of the strangest stories I've read here. I have no ideas as to what it was. But it was interesting...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: