You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Kumon Thong

Real Ghost Stories

The Kumon Thong

 

I still haven't shared all of my personal experiences yet, although I do intend to. This is both due to still building up the courage to think back at some of them, and just simply find the inspiration required to put them in print.

So the story I will share now is actually from my fiancé (let's call him K), but I do find it really intriguing. I know his story to be true as I saw the fear in his eyes when he was thinking back at this. He is also a very honest and caring person (and being my fiancé he simply wouldn't succeed in lying to me even if he would like to, hehe).

A somewhat 10 years ago K got in trouble at work and ended up needing to find another job. At the time he was living in another province than what he is originally from, so when facing a quick end to the stable income, he had no nearby family to turn to and ended up crashing with a friend for a while, whilst figuring out what to do next. This friend was living with a girlfriend quite far out on the country side of Udon Thani. Their house was a typical Thai, two story building with a big dining area / living room on the ground floor and a sleeping loft above. It was located at the end of a small dirt road with no other buildings or people nearby.

Upon first arriving to the house K noticed various children's toys (such as dolls, plastic cars etc.) spread out all around the house and property. He found this very strange as he was completely unaware of his friend having any children, so naturally he asked him about this right away. "Oh, so you have a child?" his friend laughed and said "no, no, those are for the Kuman Thong"

For those of you who never heard of a Kuman Thong: From ancient times the Kuman Thong has been used in Thailand as a household divinity. It is common believes that keeping a Kuman Thong in your house brings good luck and fortune. All you need to do is buy one, and then keep it happy by offering it toys and sweet treats. For most people, to buy this would probably be to spend a small fortune. But it is very common in Thai culture to spend incredible amount of money on thing such as altars, amulets or tattoos of good fortune. Even if you don't really have the money (it will probably come back to you with all the luck it will bring sort if thinking).

The Kuman Thong is the trapped spirit from an unborn child. This child, having died so early or suddenly is unable to reincarnate. Therefore monks (or witch doctors) practicing black magic are able to trap the spirit and use it for their own benefit. This originates from the practice of necromancy. The Kuman Thong is created from a human fetus removed from the mother's womb before birth. In a horrifying ritual that includes roasting the feats dry at a cemetery, ceremonial chanting and sometimes even to soak it in oil extracted from the skin of a dead child or a person who died in violent circumstances or an unnatural death.

If you ask a Thai person they would probably tell you that the Kuman Thong was more likely made from the killing of the fetus (and sometimes even the mother), than from a stillborn. How anyone could live with this being a sources to your own happiness or luck is beyond me. I find it sickening to imagine keeping a spirit of an innocent child trapped rather than supporting them to move on.

Back to the story, K is religious and a very spiritual person but never really believed in these particular sort of legends or which crafts. He dismissed the whole thing as quite bizarre and frankly thought his friend was a bit off for keeping toys in the house for this reason.

The first evening he spent in the house they were all enjoying barbecue with more than a few beers to follow. When they finally went to bed K was sleeping on a mattress on the ground floor, while his friend and the girlfriend had their bedroom upstairs. After a few hours of sleep K suddenly woke up. He distinctly heard the sound of small, quick feet running up and down the stairs. K, being a big guy (body builder and Muay Thai trainer), wasn't easily scared of many things, but this really made him freeze in bed, listening as the small steps kept running quickly in the stairs and across the floor above. Naturally his thoughts went to the little altar with the Kuman Thong and he was really frightened. Eventually he still managed to convince himself that it was only some sort of animal making the sound and thus he was able to fall asleep again.

The following morning he mentioned the sounds to his friend, but the friend just shrugged it off, "yes, we have the Kuman Thong. I already told you" and it seemed that this didn't bother him in any way. He clearly had no problem with this, as he knew the Kuman Thong was there to protect and bring luck to the household. He had willingly, knowingly invited it. K didn't understand how something so terrifying could be shrugged off so easily, but being in full daylight and knowing that he had been quite drunk the night before, he decided not to let it bother him.

That same night he went to bed without having any drinks before, but yet again woke up to the sound of footsteps. The steps were too quick and light to be from an adult and K knew there was only him, his friend and the girlfriend in the house. Furthermore, houses in cities in Thailand are usually always connected and built very closely, enabling sounds to travel between homes. But this house was completely freestanding with no chance of the sound coming from a neighbor. K even went around the house looking for tree branches and alike that could make the sounds, but came up with nothing.

This continued every night and things seemingly started to escalate. K was terrified, but desperate situations calls for desperate measures and so he chooses to stay. He tried, for many nights to shut out the sound of a child's running, but could not ignore the toys that would be moved to different places in the morning. Sometimes he even heard the toy cars outside being rolled across the yard.

One night he clearly heard the sound of a child's laughter coming from the very room he was sleeping in. Terrified and unable to move, he stayed in bed all night waiting for the sun to rise. The sound of feets running and cheeky children's laughter kept on going all night. When the morning finally came K packed up his belongings, and left.

There are many weird traditions in different cultures, but for me this one isn't something that can be easily understood. I wonder if this really is the child's spirit or if something else is captured during the ritual. If it is a child, then I really wish that someday these poor spirits are freed. Even if they are cared about and prayed to, as if they're something divine, this surely can't be their place.

Other hauntings by cloudy

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cloudy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-02)
Alright I see, then at least it's not just me being slow! Hehe. I guess it would be easier if I visited the page more regularly. Thanks for letting me know guys! And thanks for the work you already do on this page, but consider this as a friendly development request ❤ 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-02-02)
cloudy,
As lady-glow points out there aren't any 'official' notifications on if you received a comment on your story or another post you made.
How ever, you can always check the 'newest comments' on the home page. At the bottom you can click for more comments.
You can also use your profile page to help track your last 20 (I think it's 20) comments, then just follow their link to see if someone has commented to you. As you know you can use your account to see if there has been any comments on your story. These remain until you reset it. Hope that helps.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-02)
Cloudy: there's no notifications here, the only thing you can do is check your stories every so often and see if there are any new comments.
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-02)
Could mods or anyone tell me how the notifications work on this page? Been around for long but never seem to figure it out. How do I know if someone reply or adress a comment to me like Lynx did to Randym here? I'm not even realising when someone comment on my own posts, (I know you can check this part under your account but with no indicator I forget to do it) how do I know if someone replied to another post I replied to? And is there a notification when my favorite posters post something new? Am I missing something as I'm always using the page on a mobile device? Please enlighten me! 😁
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-09)
While I would feel bad if it were true but I personally do not believe in a spirit being "trapped"
While the belief in a Kuman Thong may give the owner some comfort I tend
To think it would be the owner's belief that may make it "seem" to appear real. Much like a lucky rabbits foot.
The fact is that a spirit knows much more about movement to and from our physical world than we do, regardless of physical age on earth. On the other side they are not an infant as we think of a baby. Only a baby while here.
Its just my belief that there is nothing in our 3D physical world that can hold a spirit.

Have a great day everyone
Randy
bugbear808 (7 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-09)
Cloudy,
Oh my! What a sickening practice! With all due respect to other cultures and beliefs, this practice needs to end. Even the thought of trapping an innocent soul (whether possible or not) for one's personal gain is appalling. Very interesting story though, thank you for sharing!😊
Blessings to you and yours!
Bugbear
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-05)
Jaderae; Yes I will lol
Atlas Obscura hey? Let me do some research;)

Thank you for replying!

E.Lynx
jaderae (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-02)
Hi Roylynx, I hadn't heard of that before, but after your comment, I just read about those "stigmatized properties" it in Atlas Obscura. That's very interesting! I've only visited Japan briefly, and have no experience with ghosts in Japan myself. But my coworker that lived there for many years believes there are a lot of ghosts in that country, from what he saw and heard from friends.
If you stay in one, you'll have to let us know if anything happens!
roylynx (guest)
-1
7 years ago (2016-12-02)
Oh I forgot what I was here for reading this story! I want to ask jaderae one simple question for a little research.

I have heard that Japan has cheap rental houses and rooms where it says that someone died there. Just wanted to plan a trip to Japan and rent one of those houses during our stay. Lol

Love from São Paulo

E.Lynx
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-02)
Oh Gosh! Everyone do not ask Dr. Wiki for this title horrific! That is Thai Buddhism spell? I think this is a tradition of some folk religion, which had spread out through South East Asian and Southern China. I have heard that priests from Chinese Maushan Daoism use dead human oil for the blessing part as said by Dr. Wiki... Oh my... No offend but people really need to think what they are doing...

So... Reading this story, I guess from all the reports of similar cases that I found is just a spirit of a child... I hope...

Greatest blessing from São Paulo
E.Lynx
jaderae (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-02)
This reminds me of a story my coworker told me about a child ghost residing in his friend's apartment in Japan, except that it was there when he moved in, not sought after. But his friend simply accepted the ghost was there and left it toys or treats. The friend was very matter-of-fact about its presence.

My coworker saw the child ghost once, and refused to come into the home after that.
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-03)
Oh, I didn't realise this story was posted. I thought it maybe was dismissed because on my previous posts I got a confirmation email once it was posted. I just noticed now and wanted to say thanks for your comments. Tweed, your comment made me glad, I would much rather believe it was a coincidence and that it was a home for another, happy child ghost! I do agree that it sounds like a scam but a lot of traditions in Buddhism includs leaving money, to the temple etc or offering things in exchange for happiness. (I don't mean to sound negative about it, I just lack better words to describe it) so I do think it is seen like a more natural thing here in that specific sense.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
Yes, the European tribes, later countries, have been slaughtering each other for centuries and haven't been very nice to their own either.

You'll recall that last attempt at exterminating each other which resulted in a total world war. Second time in a hundred years they did that. Now kept under constant watch, they've calmed down a tad.

Anyway, even if it wasn't an intentional haunting, it's sad the living would chose to keep a ghost, happy as it may be, instead of getting it gone.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-23)
Hi Cloudy,

While some long held traditions are extremely disturbing I don't believe the ghost K heard was of this tradition/belief. I'd like to think this was a big fat coincidence. His friend simply shared his home with a child ghost who enjoyed the toys left around. Sounds like a happy child ghost too.

Apologies in advance for offending anyone reading this who may be a fan of the Kumon Thong, but this smacks of a massive scam to me. Encouraging people to spend money they don't have for good luck? Nah, more like getting away with not applying for a gambling license.

Your partner's friend shared his home with a child ghost who sounded quite content to be there. The Kumon Thong belief just got in the way of an otherwise simple and innocent haunting.
If this happened in Western culture the house history would be looked into.

In all likelihood the Kumon Thong was/is a real tradition with disturbing aspects, yet child ghosts are pretty common in homes of any culture. The ghost K heard probably visited this home for far less dramatic reasons.

Thanks for sharing, you write really well. 😊
PriyankaMenon (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-23)
shelbyloree
Whatever you have said is very terrifying about celtic I did not know they were that cruel. These people who torture children in such a way clear cut deserve no mercy. They should get strictly punished. Yes human sacrifice is still common even in India. It's sad dear. It makes me cry as well as angry. It's high time people should realise how can they get fortune by torturing someone to death?
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-08-22)
I'm with you, this is terribly sad.

The ancient Celts in Europe and Great Britain used to bury children and prisoners of war (POWs) alive under buildings to appease the earth goddess and to capture the spirit in the home for luck, like this.

Sometimes the heads of the POW would be cut off (rather than buried alive) and his head would be placed in the house to stand as guardian. Screaming skulls they were called.

After Christianity converted or exterminated the Celts (so many Celtic kings were beheaded over the river it apparently ran red for days somewhere) human sacrifice changed to 'capturing' human shadows at the building site for the earth goddess, as long as the builder paid the person (and his shadow) a fee.

Unfortunately traditions like this (with such tangible results as the footsteps and playing) do not change easily. It took 500 years for Europe, and that was with medieval tactics like genocide and torture. Screaming skulls were still in homes a few hundred years ago - so it's a very slow change, sadly.

I would seek out different friends, personally, and I definately pity the victims.
PriyankaMenon (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-22)
Even I do feel bad about these children. This is clear cut a case of murder. I feel terrible regarding how they create a kumon thong by killing a child, it's an crime to kill an innocent foetus to bring good luck. It's scary. It's an heinous crime.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: