You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Daycare Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Daycare Ghost

 

For the past 5 months, I've been working at a daycare, and I've decided to share some experiences I've had there, as well as any I may have in the future. Some could be actual happenings, some may not be, but it's the compilation of everything that makes it interesting.

I'm looking for thoughts on it.

Unfortunately I don't know much about the history. The building has been around for quite some time, probably since the 70s, and has taken on numerous different purposes. I believe it was a home at one point, an insurance company, and possibly a nursing home. I don't know what else, just that there are other things the building was occupied for. It was renovated to become a daycare, and has only been one for the past year.

From the very beginning, I took note of the energy present, which I do in literally all of my surroundings. Since it is a daycare, I felt that the building inevitably housed a lot of energy. However, there's an odd or off-putting vibe (you know what I'm talking about if you've felt this before), that sort of makes you more aware of the space around you. I've never felt any negative presence there.

Slight activity started in the mornings when there was only one other worker and I. Jade is the one to open up the place about half an hour before I get there. We would often hear movement or rustling in the back of the building, making us wonder if there was someone there, even though none of the kids, parents, or any other workers had arrived yet.

Upon us noticing this, Jade told me about how uncomfortable she feels alone in the building, and that this wasn't the first time she's heard something like that.

We also brought up how we noticed the office phone loves to ring once or twice and upon us answering quickly, nobody is there and we never get a call back when this happens. A lot of the activity I'm mentioning starts and stops after a week or two and then doesn't happen for awhile in between.

Jade also went on to mention the motion-detected Christmas ornament in the storage room that would sometimes go off, with the door shut and nobody inside, for no apparent reason. I was surprised because this had actually happened to me just a couple days before we heard the movement that morning. I was on my break when it happened and nobody was in the room. I hadn't even told anyone about it.

Side note: The ornament could be old or defective, and the phone could also possibly be explained as well, of course. Any thoughts on this?

Items also randomly move and fall off the shelves after being completely still, even untouched items that never leave their spot. We'd usually just laugh it off or make a comment about the "ghost".

Around the same time, essential items would be there one day and gone the next, leaving us ridiculously confused and exhausting every avenue to find an explanation, which we never did.

On one occasion I vividly remember seeing someone in one of the rooms as I was passing by, (nobody should have been in there, the kids were outside) causing me to turn around and scan the room; nothing was there except for that eerie feeling.

One day, I was baffled by our light switches. There are two in the nursery, one at each door, that we can use. On this occasion, I remember seeing my coworker go up to the switch on the right side of the room and flip it off for nap time. This meant that the other one had to have been down, since we use the same one that had been flipped up, naturally. A couple hours passed, and when I went to turn the light back on (using the switch she used), I found the switch was already up... But the light was off. Even more confusing, the other light switch was also facing up. I can't even describe the look on my coworker's face, since she knew neither one of us had touched the switches. We hadn't even left the room and nobody had entered. She was kind of uneasy, because she knew for a fact she flipped it off prior to nap time.

The next thing that happened occurred on the same day, while I was on my lunch break. Normally, I would eat my lunch in the kitchen in the midst of all the hustle and bustle of preparing food for the kids' lunchtime. That particular day my break got pushed back a bit, so I was actually alone in the kitchen, since lunch was over and nap time had already started.

I saw one of my coworkers who has the same break as me leaving the building, which meant that every other staff member was busy in their respective rooms.

Now for a little bit of the layout. The kitchen is a decent size but not too big. From where I was in the corner of the kitchen, the fridge was in front of me a little off to the left, and to the right of me is the doorway I came in from. On the left side of the fridge is another wall, and on that wall is the walk-in pantry (which I could not see from where I was sitting), as well as another doorway (which was open). This leads to a long hallway with all of the classrooms.

I went to the pantry to get a spoon, and I remember closing the door so that there was a slight gap. I sat back down, and two seconds later I felt and heard someone come into the room, open the pantry, and begin quietly rustling around. Keep in mind the pantry isn't all that far from where I was sitting. I heard what sounded like someone quietly picking things up and setting them down, grabbing snacks out of boxes, rummaging through items, etc.

Immediately I was extremely confused, my senses on high alert. Nobody should've been out and about. My first thought as a daycare worker, was that I was about to bust a child for sneaking out of their room and trying to steal snacks (though I knew it was highly unlikely for their teacher not to notice).

I honestly wasn't scared, just curious and had to investigate. However, as soon as I stood up (which was only a few seconds after I first heard the noise) and started walking over to the pantry, the activity silenced, and all I found was the door wide open. I quickly looked down the hallway to find absolutely NO ONE, not a single teacher or student in sight. Nothing was was even out of place inside the pantry.

In my mind this was practically impossible, due to how quickly I responded to the noises. The first thing I did was search for a mouse, or any type of animal; something or someone had to have been responsible. Nada. Nor could I find any type of hole or entry way for an animal to escape through.

The next thing I did was make sure the door couldn't possibly have opened on its own, which confused me even more as the door didn't move even the slightest bit, no matter how you positioned it.

I've decided that there is probably a spirit residing here enjoying the upbeat energy of the busy daycare environment, carrying out their normal activities, e.g. Grabbing a snack from the pantry.

Thank you for reading and I'm sorry if this was too lengthy or tedious.

Other hauntings by Aliviashae

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aliviashae, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Aliviashae (7 stories) (27 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-23)
Hi there!
Thank you for reaching out to me and I hope my reply helps you at least a little bit.

Quite honestly, my anxiety is something I believe will always be a part of me. I've only been able to cope with and manage it, not eliminate it completely.

Learning how to respond to what you're feeling, as well as transforming your anxious energy into such that can be useful, makes a world of difference.

There's no off switch, though I have learned how to halt my negative thoughts before I act on them and allow them to really get to me. I still have anxiety attacks, but I had to come to terms with it and understand what triggers them (as well as what doesn't) in order to improve and reduce the occurrence.

It is very likely that you as a person are experiencing a transition in your life, where the spiritual properties and different aspects of your mind and soul are becoming stronger and more apparent. I highly recommend that you research, as there are plenty of people who have also experienced this (even hundreds of centuries ago!)

Whatever you do, don't stress! This is your journey and struggle means progress!

Much light and love,
Aliviashae 😊
coolan (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-22)
Hey there!

This comment is not about your story but about your last comment. Can I ask once you realised and worked through your emotions did your anxiety stop? I ask as I've just recently realised that I can feel energy and what others are feeling. I have real bad anxiety and I'm trying to work through this. I just don't know how to switch it off. I think I may be some sort of empath/healer type, people seem drawn to me when it comes to their problems. Anyway I'm rambling, apologies

Love and light
Tania
Aliviashae (7 stories) (27 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-21)
Hi kikigirl! Thanks so much for such thorough feedback.

I've had anxiety since I was a young child; I had my first panic attack when I was 4 or 5. By the time I was in middle school, I understood fully on my own that I was extremely sensitive and easily overwhelmed in regards to people and social situations.

Throughout high school I struggled. I tried multiple different medications, therapists, whatever. Nothing worked. I only improved once I sorted through my emotions (which ones were mine and which weren't) and learned more about myself, and how greatly I am actually being affected by the positive or negative energy of my surroundings.

It's only been in the past couple years of my life that I've connected what I'm feeling to the energy and aura that each human being gives off, as well as the energy and aura surrounding individuals that are in spirit.

Once I gained this clarity, everything that I've felt throughout my life in a wide variety of different places suddenly made a whole lot of sense, and I was able to start recongnizing and acknowledging it.

With all of that being said, I found it very easy to understand and confirm your (very accurate) interpretation of my experiences at the daycare.

Thanks again! Much light and love,
Aliviashae
KikiGirl (8 stories) (207 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-03-20)
Aliviashae, thanks for writing about your experiences at the daycare center.

From what I can gather, you are experiencing some very strange, awkward or odd feelings, at times when you are at the daycare which makes your feel a bit uncomfortable, alert or watchful and maybe involves a little bit of discomfort. You seem to be a person who is usually quite sensitive to out-of-the-ordinary, unearthly or spiritual occurrences.

I feel, for some reason, at this specific moment in time, your sensitivity is heightened, intensified or enhanced. This happens to many people, and it happens for a number of reasons; for example, You are happy working with children and this is an avenue which you have an intuitive understanding of which makes you more receptive to your surroundings, or, you are going through a time in your life whereby your gifts or sensitivity are naturally developing and changing, or, you have been through or are going through a period of time (maybe a big decision or change was involved) which involved a lot of emotional build-up in your life and a change of heart which is sometimes difficult, but, can also be because of a good event ie. News of a baby. The reasons why, a persons sensitivity is heightened is discussed and debated in almost every forum; psychic-forums, astral-forums, paranormal-forums, spiritual-forums and many others too, but, I have never had the luxury of hearing a studied para-psychologist describe in detail the exact reasons for it. So, it is left for you to figure out what brings about this sensitivity and flourishes or amplifies it.

With the above in mind, I can believe that there, may be, something other-worldly going on at the daycare center. I will be honest that the encounters you've mentioned doesn't give us much information to consider and analyze which is why quite a few people choose to keep a journal of events and record everything that happens. Let me give you the more common or well known encounters which you said is happening. Goings-on such as;
A. Feeling eerie and off feelings about a place. Feeling watched or uncomfortable.
B. Feeling that the place has a particular energy, in and of itself that you feel is immediately distinguishable.
C. Hearing noises which seem to be coming from a source or place, but, upon inspection, there is no movement or everything is still in place and a culprit cannot be found. For example. The pantry experience.
D. Seeing the apparition of a person in a room, but, upon investigation of the room, area or place, there is nobody in the room.
E. The Christmas decorations which is activated by movement is a good example of a ghost or spirit (maybe), which does not have the ability to make contact with you or communicate so it does little things every now and again, which is actually quite innocent, and it draws your attention to it. You did say, it could be faulty, but, this is an example of a type of activity which could be investigated to be real, paranormal activity.

You have mentioned several times that you don't feel the encounters are negative or malicious, and this is a good thing, especially, with your sensitivity in mind. Also, I have told YGS members many times and many people agree that your intuition about such matters; spirits, energy, ghosts et cetera can offer you information about what is going on. In a nutshell, what you feel is usually correct. So, I would definitely note what you said when you thought, the ghost or what ever it may be is just lost and confused and longs to do normal tasks like other people.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-20)
I've found if I mention something odd (like a potential ghost) as totally normal, people are more willing to mention their odd experiences. Eh, it's just Ed The Ghost passing through, lol!

I think your most likely culprit would be someone staying on from the nursing home. They would have passed on the premises, be happy (or helpful like getting snacks) around the kids, and would not be spooky or scary (like you mentioned).

Might put yourself at ease too if you named it - I keep thinking a name like Grandpa Ed or something like that. There you go - it's just Grandpa Ed checking in on stuff and maybe taking a nap with the kids.
Aliviashae (7 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-20)
Shelbyloree,
I often really wonder about the kids at the daycare. Unfortunately, I work in the nursery so I don't spend as much time around the older kiddos, aside from in the mornings but I will keeps my ears open! I also really wonder if any other workers experience anything or have heard their classes say anything interesting. I'd love to ask but it's a fairly profound thing to suggest a ghost at the daycare lol, not everybody is used to or comfortable with such things.

Melda,
I've never felt anything negative in regards to this energy (which I have felt before towards something else, so I know this feels different). Likewise, it also hasn't made me feel as uneasy as I have felt before. I can't say the same for the other two workers I mentioned, though they feel awkward about anything to do with the paranormal (I wanted to talk about it a whole lot more than they did!). I wish I knew more about the building and its history. It simply makes me feel extremely curious as to who this spirit may be, and how I could help them in any way.

Thanks for your input!
Aliviashae
Aliviashae (7 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-20)
Tweed,
Thank you for reading and commenting! I too think it is pretty odd of an occurrence. If you're a spirit in your demention of the world drawing energy, why use it to scope out the pantry for food you can't eat? 😆 I think it's just residual and this ghost probably really wishes it hadn't passed on, and wants to do normal things a person would. I really wish I knew about the person who actually lived in the building when it was a home.

Seraphina, thank you I'm glad you liked it! I will definitely post anything else I have to share in the future!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-20)
Alviashae - Thanks for sharing your story. Does this entity frighten you or are you just baffled and uneasy? I have a reason for asking this. I recently published a story about an invisible ghost in my home. However his attention seemed to be fixed on me and not the pantry or any area in the house. He made me feel uneasy but not frightened.
Perhaps your day school "friend" used to be in charge of the pantry or something that used to be where the pantry is currently situated? If he doesn't become a pest or begin interacting with the children the chances are that you have no reason to worry. If you are worried, have a blessing done (Christian priest or otherwise) or a cleansing available from members of this site. Rookdygin has a very good one.

Regards, Melda
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-19)
Maybe pay attention when the kids are talking - they may describe the culprit at some point.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-19)
Hi, Aliviashea. You organized your story really well, so readers can follow the timeline of events. I hope you'll keep us posted!
~Seraphina
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-19)
Hi Aliviashae, and welcome. 😊

I guess some of this can be explained by mundane causes. Or can be easily explained away if you don't know the place. But after knowing a place for a few months, as you have, there are just some things that don't fit normal explanation.
I wanted to comment because of the pantry. I've recently been typing up some events around a house I've known since I was a kid. Some of the activity happens in their pantry as well. To my mind it doesn't make sense, why would a ghost care about food? Well, I guess it makes sense to the ghosts that do this. I guess a mouse or something could cop the blame, but pretty sure they don't open doors. 😆 Sounds like the doings of a ghost to me.

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed this.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: