You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Library Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Library Ghost

 

I live in Cheshire, England, UK with my parents. I'm a teenage girl who loves many things, one of them being ghost stories and ghost hunting. It has been a long time since I posted a story, but I wanted to share an experience that happened to me and my mum the other day.

We were in our neighbouring town, shopping for some general stuff that we needed. After we had gotten everything, we decided that we wanted to go to the town library. The library is really old, I can't tell you how old exactly, but it's been there for a good one hundred years at least. It has got a lot of history. We had no real reason to go there, we only wanted to go because we knew that our favourite library staff were on duty that day, and we wanted to drop by for a chat. Side note - these library staff know that me and my mum love the paranormal, and they always love to catch up with us to see any new ghostly evidence we have, or any new scary experiences that have happened to us.

Considering this fact, we were very eager to go to the library. Not only to talk about ghosts, but just to see our friends. So, we pull up to the library around 2pm, and we parked around the back. The back of the library has a small set of steps that lead up to a back door entrance, but it is never used. It has been years since that door has been opened, even the staff use the front entrance to get in and out.

We could see the steps to the back door as we got out of the car. My mum was in front of me as I was lagging behind being the smaller one. We were walking to the front entrance so we had to pass the back stairs to get there. As we were coming up to the bottom of the back stairs, we saw a lady coming in the opposite direction. She had short white hair, a black coat, and was carrying a black bag in her left hand. The lady reached the bottom of the stairs and began to climb them just as I walked past. My first thought was "oh she's just going to use that door instead" and I brushed it off. About two seconds later I realized, what on earth was she doing? Nobody uses that door, ever! How was she expecting to get in? I turned around to face the stairs again to see how this would play out, but when I turned, she wasn't there anymore.

I stood, staring in awe for approximately ten seconds, until my mum realized I had stopped walking. She turned and asked what I was looking at, and I only managed to utter the words "did you just see that..." before my mum finished the sentence for me. She'd seen the same lady, apart from she hadn't seen her start to climb the stairs because she was in front of me. My mum had brushed it off like I had, until I'd stopped and thought about it. At this point we were both staring at the back door, wondering where on earth this woman could have gone had she been real. Even if she had somehow opened that door, she couldn't have done it that quickly. There was only a two second gap for her to do it before I had turned around, and even with that time she still couldn't have reached the top of the stairs. Plus, the door huge, it's a double door that's really big and heavy, and has two locks on it. So, there was no way she'd gone through that door. I ran down the street to see if the lady had changed her mind and carried on walking, but she was nowhere to be seen.

At this point me and my mum are in disbelief. We had just seen a lady who then practically evaporated into thin air. I didn't even have to describe the lady to my mum, she told me her appearance perfectly. I knew from this she couldn't have copied me as I'd said barely anything.

We ran round to the front door of the library and burst in like a pair of excited children. We didn't even say hello to our favourite staff, we just jumped right into conversation with them about what had just happened. They found it super weird and they were intrigued. They confirmed the back door was never used and there were not any more staff members scheduled for that day anyway. Needless to say that our staff friends were very excited about the encounter, but they then refused to walk into the back of the library where the other side of that door was for the rest of the day! On another note, the back of the library is for staff members only. A majority of staff have reported that there are strange goings on in that area, like footsteps and things going missing, only to appear back in the place that it was thought they originally were.

After discussing the incident right there, not me, my mum or any of the staff could explain what had happened. We were just very excited at the fact that me and my mum had literally seen a ghost, and we wanted it to happen again! After we finally left the library we walked back to that back door to get to our car, we did do a small investigation which involved taking some pictures to see if anything spooky showed up, but we haven't analysed the images yet. Over all I'd say I'm quite confused as to why a ghost would show itself to me and my mum at 2 in the afternoon, but I feel very privileged that it decided to!

Other hauntings by KT432177

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KT432177, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-26)
Wow! This is a good one! Yes, there are many reports on hauntings in old buildings many happens even during day time, I have had theories (basically from Asian believes) on spirits showing up in particular time, but to say the truth those only happen in rare places (holy grounds, "Fengshui" related places, etc). Other hauntings (old library, old fire house, etc) really depends on certain events happened during the histories, like I have heard and once saw a report of investigators in France, saying that they have went to a spot where the French executed old "rulers" (sorry I am lack of information about France, but it's the place where many people is executed, would that be French Revolution?), where they hear strange moaning on the spot where the "event" had happened. Yes, things like that happens so no surprise! Thanks for sharing!

Blessing from São Paulo
E.Lynx
KT432177 (3 stories) (8 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-26)
BeagleMom - Hiya! I'm so happy my story pleased you. 😊 The library you used to visit probably was haunted, I always trust my gut feelings! Age is only a number, you can be as young as you feel! Best to you too. 😁
KT432177 (3 stories) (8 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-26)
Manafon1 - Thanks a bunch! Your tale about the nurse sounds very intriguing. I like stories like it because the person who sees the ghost doesn't have to be intentionally looking for it, I certainly wasn't! The lady we saw did see to be from a different era, I'm going to do some research and see what I find. 😊
KT432177 (3 stories) (8 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-26)
Tweed - Hi there! I'm glad you enjoyed my story 😁 I never really thought of your point until now, but you're totally right! I assume that most people have actually seen a ghost in their life, but just haven't realised it since it was a solid figure!
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-26)
Oh! I forgot to tell you that I put your tale into my "Favorites"

Mother of Beagles
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-03-25)
KT...

Loved your story! It reminded me of the Library I used to frequent in Eureka California. It was an old brick building on F street. I loved it because it smelled of old books, beeswax furniture polish and paste wax! I fancied it was haunted, but never, really, had any real experiences there, other than a feeling of being watched and some goose bumps!

I was once a teenager who was fascinated by the paranormal too! Hard to believe that time has slipped by. I still feel like that teenage girl!
Best to you!

Mother of Beagles
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-25)
KT--Really enjoyed reading your well told account. It reminded me of a well documented case of a nurse who was seen several times by different people in an outdoor walkway in front of a London hospital. To the people who witnessed her she appeared to be a normal, living person until, when the person viewing her turned or looked away for away for a split second, she was suddenly not there.

A doctor who witnessed her as they passed each other assumed she was just a nurse leaving work but did note that her uniform was not what the nurses at the hospital were presently wearing. When he considered this he quickly looked back but the woman had vanished. Your account is a great one because it is something that is reported over and over again in psychical case study literature.

Ghosts quite often look like solid living people until they simply vanish. I was curious to know if the clothes or hairstyle of the apparition you and your Mom saw appeared to be from another era? It would be interesting if you could peg the ghost to a general timeframe. Thanks for sharing your account
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-25)
Hi KT,

Wow nice one! This backs up the theory that no one can claim they've never seen a ghost, because how would you know!
Thanks for sharing, loved this, adding to faves.😊
KT432177 (3 stories) (8 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-25)
Well hello there Phoenix! I'm glad you enjoyed my story. I love the fact that we are both teens who love the paranormal, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one! I can promise you that although my interest level in the paranormal is super high, I always proceed with a level of safety. If I'm investigating a place, I'll never ask a question to provoke a spirit, I know some people might but it scares me too much! I'm always kind to spirits and thank them for communicating, and I'm also aware that bad spirits can disguise themselves as good ones to trick us. If this happens then I always leave immediately, I'll never continue an investigation if I feel too threatened! Thank you for your concern, it's nice to find someone my age who believes in the things I do! I will be careful with any encounter that may arise in the future.

KT432177 😊
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-03-24)
Hello there! We have something in common! We are both teenage girls who are intrigued by the paranormal! I really like your story, but I have something to warn you about. You say that you love the paranormal, and you want things to keep happening, right? Well, I was the same way, but I learned that you must be careful and learn to not think about the paranormal so much. What I mean by that is you must not pay attention and think about the paranormal so much. I am a strong believer in the fact that the more you take interest in the paranormal, the more you expose yourself to the paranormal, including ghosts, spirits and DEMONS. Now I am not saying to demolish all your interests for the paranormal; that's something even I can't do! I am just saying to just be careful with your interests. Have a good rest of the day, and I can't wait to read more of your stories!
-Phoenix:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: