You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Woman In The Window

Real Ghost Stories

Woman In The Window

 

This happened a good month or so ago and hasn't happened again since but it's definitely something that keeps playing on my mind and I keep coming back to. I have no idea if it was paranormal or just someone being a creep but it felt... Wrong.

So, I was sitting on the floor in front of the electric fire because I was a little chilly and I was working on something on my laptop on the coffee table right in front of me. To my right and up a little (because I'm sat on the floor) is the living room window, the curtains are still open but it's about 5-6PM in the evening. The weather is a little dull and it's starting to get dark out. Not too dark that I can't see and the street lights aren't on yet, but the sun is definitely just starting to set.

Now out of nowhere, I get the urge to look out the window which isn't totally weird, I often sit in this same spot and sometimes glance out of the window to the sky and the trees and the houses across the street. But this time around, someone was stood looking back at me. Or so it felt like she was looking at me. I didn't see her walk up to the window, I didn't see her pass by the window. She just... Appeared.

She was what I guessed was a middle-aged lady based on what she was wearing (a raincoat/parka - like what you go walking/exploring in) staring through out living room window. From where I was sat I couldn't see her hands or if she'd stopped to put her handbag on the wall just outside our house or if she literally just stopped to snoop on our house. She wasn't moving and didn't appear to be fiddling about in a bag or her pockets. Nothing. She looked completely still and just stood there.

The most creepy thing is I couldn't see her face. She had her hood up which wasn't exactly needed because it wasn't raining and if it was, it wasn't very heavy because it wasn't making a sound on the window/window ledge. Where her face/head should have been was completely pitch black. No idea if it was just because it was in shadow or something else entirely but it creeped me out enough to jump a little at the sight of her.

Creepier still, as soon as my eyes locked on to where hers should have been, she seemed to realise I could see her and that I was looking right at her. I turned to tell my fiance who was in the dining room on the PC and by the time I had looked back... She was gone. It hadn't even been a minute, how could someone presumably middle-aged or even elderly move that quick? I obviously went over to the window to see which direction down the street she'd shuffled off in and... Nothing. There was no sign of her whatsoever.

I don't get what this was or who she was or what she wanted. It didn't feel right and freaked me out enough to keep me up an extra couple of hours that night waiting and listening to see if someone tried to break into our home. No one did, thankfully. And I've never seen this woman or whatever it was again since.

What's your opinion? Just some creep or something else?

Other hauntings by lilpeachyghost

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lilpeachyghost, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-22)
Greetings, lilpeachyghost.

You stated that this event occurred "a good month or so ago." That puts the event roughly around the first two weeks of July. You're sitting on the floor, and you note that: 1) "it's starting to get dark out" partly because 2) "the weather is a little dull." Are you sure about the timeframe "it's about 5-6PM in the evening"? Sunset in England at that time of year is roughly 9:15 to 9:30 with another 45 minutes (maximum) of twilight. (I have very clear recollections of being 4 years old, listening to my father explain that it *really* was bed-time, despite the fact it was light outside).

I know that cloud cover will affect the quality of the light; the weather in the Midlands and in the North was more unsettled than usual, so that would be a contributing factor, but you were surprised that the woman/apparition outside had her hood up, as it was not raining enough for you to notice it from inside, but it was cool enough that you wanted to be close to the electric heater. Would you mind clarifying the environmental conditions, or affirming that I've understood correctly?

Also, how close is your window to the pavement? Is it likely that a random passerby could reasonably pause and happen to look into your window, or is there a garden, a height difference of a few steps upward, etc.?

Sometimes it is easier to deal with events (paranormal or not!) that occur within a clearly-defined boundary; I have some deep reservations about the people and/or spirits who loiter outside, looking into the house.

Best,
Biblio.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-18)
lilpeachyghost - I honestly won't hazard a guess at what you saw.

I once mistook a ghost in my bedroom for a human and the relief I felt when I realised he was a ghost, was enormous! That's how solid my resident ghost man was on the two occasions that I saw him. So much for ghosts being more scary than humans.

Middle-aged and elderly being slow movers? Some of them possibly. You don't want to take me on once I'm on the move and I'm a granny 😆 My baby is 36. Wow, where do the years go? I feel as though I should still be 36!

Regards, Melda
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-18)
Hi lilpeachyghost,

I'm with RANDYM & lady-glow on this, if I were you I'd be careful with locking my doors, gate and windows, seems like someone might have been "scouting" around, and often that's what people do before they decide where to break in. You may not have seen "her" (could be a guy?) as she was crouching below your window once spotted.
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-17)
lillpeachyghost

Thanks for sharing.
Although that is something that I always thought would be terrifying,
I have to agree with Lady-glow in that there is no evidence of the paranormal. Most likely just some weirdo who saw an opening to look thru. When trying to figure out an event, paranormal should be the very last place you look

Regards
Randy
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-17)
Hey, what makes you think that middle-aged people can't move fast? 😜

In my opinion, the lady was a passerby whose face you couldn't see because your eyes hadn't adjusted to the difference between the light on the screen of your laptop and the outdoors setting darkness.

Was it creepy to see a stranger looking at you through the window? - Yes!
Was it paranormal? There's not enough evidence to believe so.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: