You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Shining Twins

Real Ghost Stories

The Shining Twins

 

I was somewhere between the age of 11-14 and my father had hired Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, from the video store. This was when Video Ezy still existed and we had a joint DVD and VCR player.

I walked into the rumpus room one day, and my father had already started watching the film. I am not sure how much of the film I have seen. All I remember is that when I saw the old lady in the bathtub, I felt physically ill and left the room. It is important to know for the story that I am not sure if I watch the scene with the twins in the hallway, with my father or not. It is a very famous scene and is referenced all the time and this is important to my story. I have never gone back to watch the film and probably never will and here's why.

A few days later I was alone in the rumpus room. It's was about 11pm and was I'm sitting on a bean bag as close to the TV as I could get. Behind me, to my right is the staircase leading to the dinning room.

A few meters from the top of the stairs my mother was asleep and snoring in her armchair. Upstairs again (split level home) my father was asleep in bed. No one else is home.

I was watching whatever is on TV at that time and kind of bored. All of a sudden the TV went grey and static. I rolled my eyes and sighed thinking it's my fault. This TV was maybe as old as I was or more and from time to time, I would accidentally push one of its buttons with my toes. So I got up, out of my bean bag and started pressing whatever button (except for the volume) to see which one will turn the TV back to normal. My face was pretty close to the TV now.

All of a sudden a black line dropped down the screen and following that black line was that scene from The Shining, with the twin girls in the hallway, saying "Come play with me." It then freezes, rewinds itself and they go again. "Come play with me." And again, and again, and again.

I'm was frozen and in shock.

I frantically started pressing buttons, in the hope it will stop, but then I realised the video is probably just stuck in the VCR. So I looked down and start to open the little flap on the slot.

But then between the "Come play with me's, I heared a second voice.

A calm, soft, whisper of my name.

I looked back up at the screen. It's still the same. I wasn't even sure if I really heard it but at that point, I'm wasn't sticking around to find out.

I ran up the stairs to my mother and tried desperately, in tears to wake her up.

Both of my parents are heavy sleepers and are slow wakers. And I think my mum may of taken a sleeping pill.

I yelled at my mum through tears trying to wake her and tell her what was happening. Meanwhile I could still hear the twins downstairs.

Mum came too, a little, and just brushed me off saying. "Just change the channel." Which made me angry and panic more.

Mum then looked at me quite angry and yelled at me for having the volume up so loud.

Thats when I realised I couldn't hear the twins downstairs anymore, but just the sound of the static on the TV. And it was very loud.

I cautiously turned around and peered down the stairs. My mother fell back to sleep, murmuring to turn the volume down.

I just stood on the top of the steps looking down into my rumpus room, at my TV, which was now showing just grey static, and the volume was really high. I eventually built up the courage to go back down stairs. Convincing myself again.

The videotape was old. It just got stuck.

So I went back to the TV and turned it off. I took a deep breath and checked the VCR.

Empty.

I checked the DVD player.

Empty.

I turned the TV back on. The static was gone but the volume was all the way up. To the loudest it can be.

We never have it on that loud. Only a third of the way, maybe at most. This was one of those older TV's where the volume would appear on your screen in a green bars.

I turned it down and just to be sure I quickly checked what was on TV at the time, incase the movie was on that night. I skimmed all the channels and it didn't seem to be. I then ran up 2 flights of stairs all the way to bed, ignoring my mum yelling at me for not turning the lights off in the rumpus room.

I remember not even being sure what just happened, happened, straight after it happened.

I planned to check the TV guide the next day, top to bottom, not just for the movie but also for anything that might reference the film, Stephen king, Jack Nicholson, whatever, and to also ask my dad where the Video he hired has gone.

The next day, I couldn't find anything in the TV guides that would explain it and my dad informed me he had returned the tape back to the store 3 days before because it was due back.

I still don't know what that was and for a long time I think I just blocked it out because my brain just didn't even know what to do with it.

Then when I was around 21 I thought it was happening to me again. I was watching the film Twister at 3am by myself. It wasn't. But I have never felt fear like that in my whole life and I never want it to happen again. The whole experience lasted 5 seconds but it took my heart and shaking body literally hours to calm down to a normal pace. Since then it's been a bit harder to ignore this memory.

Other hauntings by Lydia_Deetz

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lydia_Deetz, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-19)
Thank you MrsRamsay, it was only because of your comment I've found this enthralling piece of story.

First of all, I'm absolutely fascinated of this entire event.
These kind of narratives are the ones that mess with your head for an explanation. Well, it kind of striked my head what if the whole scenario is an illusion created by the entity. When you mentioned earlier that you heard a soft voice calling your name. It entertains the doubt of the presence of something else in the room with you. Maybe an entity tried to trick you.

But at the same time, it is not wrong to believe that our mind sometimes plays tricks on us, it can be a post- delirium as well as you've mentioned feeling sick all of a sudden while watching the movie, which kind of created an alarm in your system against the movie or stuffs.

But in the end, these are only assumptions. The real deal can be something else.

You have experienced a similar thing while watching twister.

Can you possibly explain what kind of feeling you had?

Was it because of a scary movie scene?

Or something realistic happening around you?

Was it because of the post-delirium after this incident?

Hope you will the read the comments and answer the queries someday.

Amazing one! Thanks for sharing.

Peace
MrsRamsay (guest)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-18)
What a story! I agree with Maggie May, don't be too skeptical of this one. Can entities somehow save images from videos and films and play them back to us? It's almost like a teacher, taking a snip and then using it to communicate. Makes perfect sense to me. I think you showed great presence of mind to check the channels and the VCR, and even waking your mom. I'm one of the people who read The Shining in book form and then saw the movie. It was really well done!
terranigma (9 stories) (71 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-05-14)
MaggieMay_Not I don't think this will work because the twins grown up are even more freakier then they were as children! 😲

Lydia_Deetz great story by the way. Hope you can overcome your fear

😊
Lydia_Deetz (6 stories) (15 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-20)
LuciaJacinta

When I wrote this I honestly thought nothing THIS weird had happened besides my other weird experiences I have also published on this site. Then I remembered the story my mum and eldest sister told me. It happened when I was just a baby and creeps them out so much they get visibly uncomfortable and agitated when they have to tell it. So I will be posting about that really soon.
The way my mum sister tell it, it was like my other sister, who was 5 at the time was possessed or something. Its super weird. I don't like saying that word, possessed, I think it could of just been an ordinary spirit, if it was paranormal. But it sounds like what people describe as a possession.
Lydia_Deetz (6 stories) (15 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-20)
Thanks for the advice MaggieMay_Not. The twins are referenced so many times, especially on youtube and on halloween and I honestly have trouble looking at them. If I know they're about to pop on the screen I cover my eyes until they're gone. I am not terrified, but it makes me feel weird.
But then I think, what will happen if I have twins of my own one day?
So I will be looking up the actresses and seeing if that helps. ❤
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-19)
Lydia_Deetz, I never discount experiences. Especially with electronic media. Entities are energy and those devices are powered by energy. I don't know what happened, if you dreamed it or if there was a glitch or something, but I don't discount it. Don't be embarrassed about being terrified either. That kind of stuff is scary. If you are seriously bothered, try to find later pictures of the twins, or the actress/es who played them. See them as people and not in those roles. It might help lessen the fear a bit.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-18)
Creepy. It could have been just an old faulty tv with screwy electrical settings. But one thing is for sure, the Shinning is to me, the scariest movie I ever saw. I know a lot of people say the scariest movie is the Exorcist or Psycho or something else, but those ones never bother me. It's the Shinning that to me is the scariest thing ever. Maybe you were just dreaming though? Nothing else like that happened in the home again? Strange that it's just the one incident. I mean it's possible but still weird.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: