You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Play Room At Gramma's House

Real Ghost Stories

The Play Room At Gramma's House

 

I have been debating for quite some time about posting this. But in reading other similar stories, I thought I would go ahead.

This happened not only to me, but also my older sister at the same time. Way too freaky to be coincidence or childhood imagination.

My sister and I spent the night at our grandparent's house usually a weekend or so a month when we were little. They had a small bungalow type house with living room in the front and a bedroom off of that, dining room next (again, with a bedroom) and you went through a doorway to the kitchen towards the back of the house and there was a small room off of that which we used as a play room.

One morning, when we were probably 4 and 6 years old, we woke up and went to the kitchen for breakfast. After breakfast, we went to our room (off the dining room) to change clothes. Gramma had said that we could play with toys after we got dressed. We came running out of our room headed for the play room and both of us stopped dead in our tracks upon entering. There was a man standing there dressed in what we called old farmer type clothes wearing a baseball cap and suspenders. My sister and I looked at each other then looked at him and he smiled.

Why we decided to play and not be scared still baffles me.

We would see signs of him off and on for years. A small indentation in the daybed or a toy moved from where it had been left. Every once in a while he would be standing there with his arms folded smiling at us as we played.

Fast forward 40 years (yes, I'm showing my age here) and our mother shows us old photos we'd never seen. She hands me one and my jaw dropped. I showed it to my sister saying, "Hey Mouse! Remember Mr. W from Gramma's?" She looks at the photo and her reaction was the same as mine.

Turns out he was an uncle, I believe related to my grandfather, who had stayed in that room at the house until he could be moved to a more permanent nursing care facility. We had never met him as he had passed well before we were born, but he was wearing the same type clothes in the photo as in the playroom.

Anyway, I hope you like the story. I feel it just goes to show kids can be very receptive and we naturally know whether or not to be scared.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Mel-D72

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mel-D72, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mel-D72 (4 stories) (12 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-02-16)
Thank you all for the welcome.
[at] ladyglow my grandparents never mentioned him. I knew nothing about him until our mom showed us the pictures. For some reason, neither my sister nor I mentioned it until then.
[at] Augusta (that was my great grandmothers name too) seemed he was a good man and just wanted to see us happy.
[at] bíblio I imagine it could get lonely with no one knowing your there and kind of hanging at the back of the house. Still no idea why we said nothing and just played. I clearly remember playing and looking up at him and smiling. Best part was when I said Mr W and my mom said that's your uncle William. We never spoke out loud to him. We just knew and heard him
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-16)
Greetings, Mel-D72, and welcome.

I liked the simplicity of this narrative. I had the impression that the old fellow was happy to have company in his room. It may have been a bit lonely for him at the back of the house if your grandparents' living room was at the front, along with their bedroom.

I think I'll add this to my "favorites" list.

Best,
Biblio.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-16)
How wonderful for you and your uncle that you were so unafraid - you both gained such a memorable experience because of it. Sounds as though he was a good fellow ❤
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-15)
Welcome to YGS.

Mel-D, this is such a fascinating experience. It seems like your uncle really enjoyed watching you play in his old room.

Do you know if your grandparents were aware of his presence?

I guess the spirit's energy was calm and positive, and that's why you girls didn't feel in any danger on the presence of this stranger.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: