You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: The Side Room in the Church

Real Ghost Stories

The Side Room in the Church

 

This happen in lower Michigan. In the 1990's. I kept passing this pretty Church as I would drive to the store or home. One day I called and talked to a lady name Dottie, told her I was new in the area, and I would like to know what time the services were there. She told me and then told me about the Church that it was rather old but well kept up.

The Church was the kind that you would be likely to see on a Christmas card. I often thought of that when I went by the Church. All white with a big steeple on the top. Just by looking at it you could tell it was an old Church.

Dottie told me it has been many domination of religion since it was originality built over a hundred years ago. She told me that additions had been added in the years the Church was there on the same ground. I told her I liked how it looked inviting. She said I was welcome to come to services anytime. And about the pot luck they had there every 3rd Saturday, that may be a good time to come and to meet the people of the Church. Dottie gave me her phone number and told me when I felt comfortable to come she meet me at Church so I would not be going there and not know anyone. I told her thanks and left.

A couple of months went by and I did call Dottie and she said she would meet me out front and what time. I told her a time and she was right where she said she would be when I arrived. We went into the Church it was very old fashion with seats you would see at an old theater, that would pull out and once you got up they flipped back into place. It was plain but I felt a welcome feeling at the Church.

After Church services we went down to the basement where the fellowship was taking place. It was someone birthday and so there was a cake and drinks to munch on. Dottie introduced me to many people and they all welcomed me to the Church.

I went many times to this Church. Then one Sunday, Dottie said she had to put some food and non food stuff into the side room where people of the community could come and get when they needed the items. She asked if I like to help her. I said sure. We went down in the basement to the side room off the fellowship room. Soon as I entered the room it was very cold. I said "it's cold in here" she said "yeah it probably was". She open the door wide to let in the warmth that was in the fellowship room.

Soon Dottie told me she was warmed up "how about you?" I said I was still cold that I didn't feel good in this room. Dottie said "you will get use to it". I said "what do you mean" she just smiled at me as we unpacked the items and put in places they went to in the side room. Then it was like something was trying to take all the air out of me. I was trying to catch my breath and it felt like it was being sucked right out of me. Dottie notice and asked me "what was wrong?" I said "I got to get out of this room". As I was leaving the room I felt a presence glide by me, I left the room and sat in the fellowship room. Once I was out of the side room I felt okay.

Dottie came to me and said "You don't look so good are you not feeling well today?". I said I was feeling well until I went into that room. She just looked at me and I told her how I felt. She said she often felt cold in there even when it was very hot in the fellowship room. But she just figured it was because it was the basement and thought nothing of it. Dottie did state she never felt like the air was being sucked out of her when in that room.

Once I got used to the people in the Church I would ask different people about that room and no one seemed to care or know. Many looked at me as if I was having some kind of a satan thing, going on inside of me... After that many people acted as if I didn't belong there, they didn't want nothing to do with me. So I left that Church and have not been back there for about five years

Dottie went to rest with the Lord sometime ago. She was the only one after that happen that still continued to like to be with me. We never brought up the side room again. But I have the sense that she knew exactly what I was going through that day, as she went through it herself...

Other hauntings by Flutterofwings

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Flutterofwings, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-15)
It's sad when people turn their backs on each other like that. So you had an experience in a church that in no way means you do not belong.

Some people only accept things that fit their definition of normal and reject anyone or thing that goes against it. In the minds of those who turned their backs on you a church is a house of god so things like that can't happen in them.

So automatically you must be into something unholy.
People like that aren't necessarily religious but followers of their idea of what a christian is.

Which is why I do not go to church too many hypocrites. I hope you have better experiences with those who call themselves christian. In the future but I am sure this experience has made going to church a less likely decision for you
PenAndInkPrincess (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-15)
I'm so sorry that so-called "Christians" would behave that way towards you. It's amazing how many pretenders will be sitting pretty in the pews, reading the Bible and praying, and yet their Christianity stops with the sermon.

Hope you have a better experience in the future with genuine Christians like Dottie, who will stay by your side no matter what happens.
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-29)
Flutter, what I find interesting about this story is that Dottie asked you to accompany her to the room, and seemed unsurprised to find that you were having a reaction, almost as if she knew you would.

When you say that the room was no longer used once she passed, it makes me think that probably none of the other church-goers wanted to go in there, despite acting as though nothing was wrong. Do you know if Dottie ever asked for and received help in that room by any other church-goers? Also, did you ever go back to the room, or get asked to help in the room, specifically by Dottie, before she passed?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-24)
Well, thank you, brenttan.
But I was only (finally) opening up completely to the frustrations of "walking the line", so to speak. 😊
Religion is a personal thing. It really is. If your FAITH is strong, THAT is what people usually "share" with others. Not so much their religion.
People have FAITH that white sage will rid their space of unwanted bodily impaired persons. Some have FAITH that a cross hung in the room of supposed activity will do the same. A person may feel that a circle of salt may deter ghosts from the perimeter of the home.
But why?
It is NOT because of their religious affiliation. It is in the FAITH that a particular act WILL help. The idea MAY have come from a religious elder, but it is ALL in the faith put into the act.
So the whole world thinks someone is crazy for their "solution". So no one else understands the "whys". Who else really NEEDS to? If it works, it works.
No biggie.
Thank you.
brenttan (64 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-23)
My friends, flutterofwings and whitebuffalo, it is a pleasure to read your posts. I too have explored many religions and paths and by my experience feel that my path of salvation rests in Christ. However, I have no right nor intention to condemn others and their beliefs or convictions. I prefer to relate to others with respect and love from my soul and heart. I find that when my fellow Christians postulate that all spirit occurences are demons to be presumptuous, as our Bible does not speak on this matter. In fact many of the things in the Bible are subjects of debate between christians within that same denomination or church. Who can say with authority how to understand it? For myself, I keep an open mind, though I have a lot of spiritual relationship and experiences with my Lord, even miracles. I personally believe in demons and other types of spirits, like human earth bound ones. But of course I won't talk about this with closed minded christians, who will only repeat the ideas they have been told. But to certain few other more daring and open minded christians who think more out of the box and dare to think beyond conventions. I sympathise with you for the lack of grace and christian love those church members have been to you, but I sense you bear no ill will towards them except some hurt and disappointment. I know there are very many cold loveless christians as well as warm ones like your beloved Dottie. I wish you both well and thanks again for your sharings. God bless you.
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-23)
That is so rude of the other church members to treat you like crap because you had an experience in the church. That's really 'doing unto others'. God bless Dottie for acting like a civilized human-being.

Do you think maybe during the construction that happened over the years in the church, someone was killed around the area of that room?
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-15)
Thanks for your reply. Sorry so late to respond to this. I kind of forget to look at older stories I have written.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-15)
[at] whitebufflo, oh no, when I asked if you were of this culture, I was interested with the name first and of the culture. I have Choctaw Indian in me. My father was this or had it in him.
I seen pictures of him when I was smaller, but once my mom died her sisters took the pictures and didn't give us kids the right to have them.
I was born to my mom and her lover, as mom was married and cheated. So always been a hush, hush thing.
I always been interested in Indians for a long time and never knew why. Till I was 40 and found out about my real dad. Now just trying to find if he had any other children. Thanks for your reply
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Oh, you are welcome, Flutter. I rather enjoy having an intellectual conversation with someone (even if my fingers can not seem to keep up with my train of thought 😆)
I have never understood why two people can not talk about something like religion without going off on each other. I thank you for that. I thought for sure, once you asked if I was of the Native American culture that you were signing off on that one. 😊 I am of the culture, just not born of it. I was married into it. The odd thing is that while I was young I felt the pull of the ceremonial drums... I firmly believe that was the Great Spirit lighting my life path.

I think, in general, people are scared of what they do not know. I think they are afraid to research and get the knowledge that is needed to form a real opinion on subjects they know nothing about, and that is why they shun the very idea of the thing they do not know.
Either that or they expect the answers to jump out at them in their protective circle of conformity. I am not too sure, but I think to be ignorant on any subject, simply because I am too lazy to look into it would be a great injustice to MY Higher Power.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Thanks WB for your comments. Which is true all peoples do have their own beliefs in the religion. Most never talk about it as feel of rejection I suppose or being shunned.
But there is purposes why many people do have the gift of going outside of the norm and seeing, feeling or touching, perhaps lost souls of other gone beyond us.
But when you tell others that never have had THIS GIFT, they don't understand so they too just kind of shunn it off, as if it doesn't exsist at all.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
I do not usually discuss my religious beliefs either, as I have such a myriad of combined thoughts and feelings on the subject. In fact, you could probably go through all of my posts and see maybe a handful of comments in which I take a stand religiously. I do not really have a religious affiliation, though I worship frequently. More often than not, when putting a label to the faith I feel is closest to mine, I (shrug) simply get shunned. There is one story on here that I said the quickest way for me to shut a conversation off is to label myself. Amazingly, after I posted that comment, there were no answers... Point well taken.
I figure that sooner or later, something will come along to open up the minds of the people who have closed all the doors and locked all the windows of Truth and it will all be revealed to them. Somehow. I am a seeker of Truths, so often times I identify with another's Higher Power through something I have researched, and will pose questions as to their own stand, to get a clearer picture as to the FEEL of the faith. If that makes sense. You can study it all you want, but until you can FEEL it, it means nothing.
THAT is the reason I think faith is closely related to sightings of the Unknown. That is also why I think this site is awesome, as when a religious debate gets too heated, someone (Hi Guys!) will step in to remind that this is only one aspect of visualizing what not everyone else can, and why? I believe there is a connection, but will it not be wonderful when we can see what that connection is? Will it not be marvelous when we all can, in fear and in comfort, link together to help ALL lost souls, ghosts, unexplainable beings to reach the Other Side?
I may not understand everything, and I DO NOT, but I understand, as I stated previously on this site, that there is a spiritual war going on. It is just not the type most would put that phrase to.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Thanks Whitebufflo, for your comments and knowledge. Yes I think there are far more people who do experiece such things as ghost, or the present of one, but unless one is on a site like this. No one either believes you, when you tell them you seen or felt one. Or they think your insane.
So it is nice for me to be able to go to a site, like this to express my thoughts on what I seen, felt etc, without being called"insane".
However I do think many people when they write comments on peoples pages, they are rude and out of line. Not you I am mentioning in this area but did get one from someone else in two other stories I have made.
I think these kind of people if they can't put a comment that is not Rude, or out of line, then maybe they should not comment at all.
If I read a story that I think may not actually quite happen that way. I just don't make a comment at all, as I won't be rude to other people about their stories.
Nice knowing you Whitebufflo. Like your comments not only to my stories, but to the many others you make comments to.
Religion this is a subject that I usually never get into. As no mather whom I talk to, they think they are right and I am always wrong. It sometimes have had, hard feelings to an other wise good friendship. But where this all took place from years ago in the Bible. With the religion I really can't say.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Oh, yeah, me too, Flutter.
My parents biggest disappointment in me (I think, there could be something different 😆) is that I did not choose the path that the rest of my immediate family did. It sounds a bit odd when I say what it is that my brother, sister and parents do, and then when asked what MY profession is, I get some pretty odd looks to that response.
My biggest fear in this life, is that when I stand before The Great Spirit, He may be disappointed in me too. But somehow, I am comfortable in the knowledge of my faith. It may not be how I was raised, it may deviate from the rest of the family plan, but I can think of several examples of people who were assumed extremely holy, who in fact, turned out to be the exact opposite.
I do not think that religion matters in the world of the Unknown. Let me clarify that, I do not think that devout catholics have more protection from entities than do protestants. I do no think that a Wiccan Priestess has more power over a negative Being than a Medicine Man does. I do not think that in the grand scheme of things that ANYONE who is alive today KNOWS completely, and unquestionably, what the "real" religion is.
It is MY belief that there is a pinch of the true religion alive and well in all of the various denominations that survive today. I can not help but think back thousands of years ago when there were no statues in structures that people could hold in high esteem, or worship, as some believe. I think to when there was no written word, or more accurately to when it was not readily available. I think to when ceremonial robes were something that held high reverence to all who would see one. When a simple COLOR meant so much more than "warm colors".
I wonder, when was it, that HUMANITY started to deviate from where we once stood in absolute grace with The Great Spirit. Could it possibly have started with the Garden of Eden? How about the Tower of Babble? What about when my husbands side of the family was ripped from their homelands and BOUND to a parcel of land? Their VERY religion was put into question, and they were not allowed to worship in their own comfort.

What I see happening is that we are coming full circle. Frankly, that scares the crud right out of me. I see, on our televisions, a pronounced return of the Nature Based Religions. I see those on the "outside" trying to fight them back off with the telling of how "evil" they are. I see the religious leaders of the different religions arguing with each other, even within their own groups, and condemning each other to the fiery pits of Hell.
When did this all start to happen and why? Ignorance, I believe, has brought us to where we are today. I believe the REASON for more people having difficulties with the Unknown are for these very reasons that I have posted. Many ARE trying to "catch up", but we have taught our children, collectively, that there are no such things as ghosts. When we drill that into their heads, are we also teaching them that there is no such thing as a Great Spirit? A Holy Ghost?
I know this is rather long. But I think we have all, through time, created this huge onslaught of "poltergeist" activity (for a lack of the correct descriptive phrase) and we must all BAN together, and SHARE our knowledge so that these Beings can be where they were meant to be. On The Other Side.
Thank you.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Your on a roll now whitebufflo. Actually your right about "It's not the Church its the people within the Church". That are only human and either don't understand this sort of stuff that goes on, or don't want to know or care.
Yet I hate to say I am a person that if something is out of the ordinary, I like to try and find out why. Not just sit back and let it pass by me. Even when I am really frighten, later on when I calm down I like to still know.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-06)
It is my opinion that there is good and bad in everything.
It is further my opinion that people are not perfect. We were not created to BE perfect. We were created to live in our own free will in the hopes that we would see the Truth and come to it willingly.

"To err is human, to repent divine, to persist devilish..." (Benjamin Franklin)😉

Today, in the Land of Spiritual leaders, there really is not one of them that is free of the guilt of being human. That leads us to the forked road in which we must all make a choice.
We could sit in a pew with the rest of the "normal religious people" and gain nothing in understanding by putting all of our beliefs in the PERSON at the pulpit and then falling to depression when we find that they are not perfect.
We can pour all of our faith into good deeds; helping little old ladies cross the street, shoveling the walk of a home bound neighbor, donating to various charities, all to FEEL at the end of the day that what we did was RIGHT, but still feeling empty.
Or... We can fall prostrate in front of the One who deserves such praise. We can find, in our own lives, hearts and searching, the One Being who is Higher than all, and in that FAITH be whole.
Religious Leaders are not the problem, humanity is. When human nature takes over, that is when we see the "faults" of the church. What we are really noticing are the faults of HUMANS, not the church.
😊Sorry, guess a family with a Priest, a Missionary, a Pastor and a Women's leader in it spoke up there. And all of them are in my immediate family!
Love to all!
Thank you.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-06)
[at] Whitebufflo, hypocritical YES. I agree with that. It is hard to be friendly with people like this.
I have heard of stuff like rhodes68 said in a comment here happening in grave yards. And the head of the Church not beliving what others say until it happens to them. I could just picture in my mind what rhodes68 was saying, that the one blessing the grave sites nearly stumbling over others to get out of there.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-06)
[at] rhodes68, I think I may of even laughed with that going on at the prayer of the graves. These people no matter if Ministers, Priest, or any other head of the Church believed in what they teach us. It would be a better world for sure. But to be afraid of something that is happening in their own Church, I would think they would want to find out why.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-06)
How frustrating for a religion that connects the existence of God to the immortality of the soul and even proudly celebrates the return of Christ as a spirit guiding the apostoles to, then, suggest that "there're no such things as spirits". I particularly enjoyed a blessing at a cemetery during an orthodox "celebration of the souls" day when the minister performing the ritual nearly fled the scene when he heard a "sort of roaring sound coming from beneath". I just rest my case... 😲
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
Hmmm, can you say hypocritical?
I often times find it fascinating that those who stand at a pulpit weekly teaching those sitting in the pews about how to save our own souls and those of others can seem to be the most close minded people out there. I just, I can not understand it.
Makes it hard to be friendly, doesn't it?
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-04)
Yes I think Dottie knew more then she let on to me. It could be because she didn't want to frighten me too. As she knew I already was frighten.
And perhaps she knew if she stepped beyond the circle of that room she too would be shunned and she belonged to that Church for a long time. If I would of known Dottie longer then the time I did, I might of been able to find out more, but she went home with the Lord.
But what her response to me when I went into the room"YOU will get use to it" I figured from that she knew more then she let on about.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-04)
Well, unfortunately another fine example of organized religion, not going with 'their' flow or belonging to a 'click'. It saddens me, really.

I do believe that Dottie probably knew more than she was letting on as well. She maybe did not have the strength to voice the occurances, or to stand out in a congregation that niased.

Thank you for sharing your story!
God Bless!
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-03)
[at] tonith thanks for your reply. Dottie was a fine older lady and I think she may of known something there, but not what for sure it was. She was the one always that took care of that room with the boxs of food and non food. Shortly after she died, something I just thought of the Paster of this Church stopped having that food pantry at the Chuch. Wonder if that is because no one else would go in that room, to take over?
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
Obviously these people didn't want the little box they live in "shakened". It's a shame that then shun what they don't understand. Not all Christians are like this but many are. Anything supernatual or paranomal is automatically of the devil. They believe all ghost sightings are not human spirits but demonic ones. It does not tie into their beliefs so therefore it is suspect that those that have these experiences are somehow in league with the devil. Glad to see Dottie did not take this stand but continued to be your friend. She did seem clueless to anything being supernatual though so therefore never made the connection to it being demonic or whatever.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
Thanks for your comments Frawin and Martin. Yes I just can't stand to be around people who say they are Christians while in the Church but once, outside that Church they didn't know you. And bringing up what ever was in the basement to them was forbidden. I am sure others had feelings in that room too, but they would rather die then tell anyone about it.
Once that happen I never went to the fellowship room again, unless there was other people there. I never went down there by myself as I always felt danger that way.
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
Yeah it sounds like you were better off without that sheepish crowd in the end. All the better.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
Hi Flutter. There are people, like the ones in that church, that believe that if you don't acknowledge it - it doesn't exist. They don't like anyone rocking their little world. You did and paid the price of being Shunned.
Thanks for another great story. God Bless.

FRAWIN 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: