You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Spirit Activity and Major Repairs to a House

Real Ghost Stories

Spirit Activity and Major Repairs to a House

 

This is my third submission, currently about where I have lived the last two years. West Virginia has a lot of spirit activity. I rent an apt in a old house built in 1930. The house has 4 apt units. My apt is upstairs and is a small 2 room efficiency. My bedroom leads to the attic upstairs but is blocked off. Most of the apt is modern except for the old thick doorways which must have originally been bedrooms leading to other bedrooms.

It all started last March 07'. I had lived there for about 7 months with nothing strange at all. It was quite nice, for a change! I was pregnant at the time and was relaxing watching t.v. In the bedroom. From my bedroom, a small hallway leads into the kitchen. I felt a presence appear in the hallway. Seconds later, I heard music. I had kept an old music box in the kitchen but hadn't wound it up in years, literally. It just sat there collecting dust.

At first, I wasn't sure what the music was because the t.v. was a little loud. I muted the t.v. after a minute, and walked into the kitchen. Sure enough, the music box was playing and after a few seconds more, it stopped. I smiled feeling as if I had a visit from my deceased mother. Immediately, I called my aunt and told her about my experience.

Days later, I had forgotten about what happened until I was on the phone with her again and the music box began playing. This time I had a witness and I didn't feel like a crazy ghost-attracting lady. She heard the song and identified the song strangely enough being a musician. It played for the longest time and we giggled on the phone together. Someone was visiting, for sure.

Later that summer, my landlord was making major repairs to the house. Days after the work began, I would wake up in the middle of the night and heard long rapping or knocks. I started to hear voices when I walked into the apt as if a conversation was going on. And at night, I would hear a baby whimper or cry in the distance even though my newborn was fast asleep. Strange things happened and I read when major repairs or restoration is done to a house, spirit activity will happen.

It's an old house and has seen a lot of occupants - good energy and bad energy.

Other hauntings by Brook

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Brook, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Brook (3 stories) (7 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-01)
Thanks for all your comments! Wow! 😊 😊

It's an old house built in the 30's and at the time I was pregnant was a stressful period but also exciting one. The music box came from my mom's side of the family, incidentally, and it has something to do with her. A visit. I've had visits before. Thanks again!
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-18)
Well if restorations promote activity I should be inundated with it. We restored a 120 year old house and we still are having things done to it. While pregnant you not only have your own hormones but the baby's as well. This can cause weird dreams and manifestations all on its own. That aside, you also had a witness to the music so both of you can't be wrong. It may be your mother's way of letting you know she is aware you are having a baby and is happy for you.Obviously, you are not threatened by these happenings and I'm sure they will cease if you don't feed into the fear factor which apparently you don't. You sound like a grounded person. Congrats on your little one.I'm sure Mom is watching over both of you and will not let anything harm either of you.
haley9045 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-17)
That's so cool. Your new born must have been soooooooo cute! It could have been the construction workers. Sometimes they come at night to check things out.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-16)
Thanks for sharring another great story with us. I to believe that if a house is being repaired then the spirits in them arent that happy about it. The activity grows. Maybe its because they don't like the paint colour 😆.I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-16)
That sounds as a kind "visitor" who means no harm. Trying to attract your attention? Could be the case.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I enjoyed it.
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-15)
It could possibly stir up spirits.
Obviously since they died they are use to the place they live in, it's like they know it like the back of their hand.

So repairing things and stuff could confuse them & thus cause them to panic. Remember some "ghost" don't even know that their dead, until they do something supernatural, like walking through walls.

I dunno, the paranormal is a complicated topic and no one will have truly have correct answers - unless you become a ghost yourself and find out how it's like. Then you can say you know the truth about the supernatural;P
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-15)
It certainly sounds as if you are receiving some visits.

I loved your story about the music box and how you were able to aquaint that to visit from your mother. Very heart warming!

Have you felt any negative energy? From your story it sounds as if it is all positive.

thanks for sharing!

God Bless!
RoseForEmily (34 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-15)
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
Music comforts the dead and the live. 😊
I never heard that major repairs or restorations to a place can stir spirit activity, but it kind of makes sense, maybe the ghost is wondering "hey what are you doing to my home?" or "about time we fixed that ceiling..."...hehe

Anyway I enjoyed reading your story.
Hope to read more!

-Sadie

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: