You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Haunted Rental House

Real Ghost Stories

My Haunted Rental House

 

I have had many experiences with ghosts over the years. This story is about a house I rented with a childhood friend. (I'll call him Fred). The house was an older home styled like a ship builder's house. The kitchen was like a ship's galley.

The first week we lived there we set up our mattresses in the living room so we could paint the bedrooms. At night we would stay up watching movies until the wee hours of the morning. We would hear dishes rattling in the kitchen even though no one was in there. This kind of freaked us out when we realized it only happened at 1:15am.

One night I was standing in front of the sink (it had a window over it) facing Fred.He freaked out and said "Did you just see that?"

There is a porch on the other side of the kitchen with windows as well and he saw the reflection of someone walking across the porch. I was looking right towards it and didn't see a thing! Also the porch was filled with trash from the former tenant so no one could have been out there.

We would come home from work and the cellar light would be on for no reason. When you went down to turn it off you would get that cold, hair raising feeling something bad was down there. If you were home alone, you would feel like someone was watching you.

One night Fred and his girlfriend were in their room and I was in mine. I could hear them talking as there was an old vent shaft that went down to the basement for heat between the two rooms. We kept the vents shut as it was summer, but you could still hear muted sounds. Fred and his girlfriend all of a sudden burst into my room scared silly asking me if I had just heard the scream. I said," Come on guys, I heard you talking but didn't hear any scream..."

Fred assured me they had heard it and I could tell by the look on his face that he was telling me the truth. (We have been friends since grade school and I can tell when he is fibbing to me!)

The next day was the last day in the house for me. I had gotten up to go to work, and was standing in the kitchen waiting for the coffee. I was a little upset with Fred because he had done the dishes but left the pots and pans stacked up on the stove. All of a sudden I got really cold and out of the corner of my eye I saw something flying in the air. Then BANG! I looked at the stove and the butcher's knife had come out of the knife block and flown across the room and landed on the stove with its blade up!

I stayed at friends apartment until I could find a new place and only went back to get my things when I had people with me!

Other hauntings by dreamer72

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dreamer72, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

GhostTracker (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-14)
This experience also got my attention. Thank's for publishing this story over this site, I'm looking forward to see one of your experiences!
dreamer72 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
Frawin- The knife was not thrown at me. It landed beside me. I know whatever the reason I was not staying!

ChrisB-Thanks for taking the time to re-read my story. It truly was the most haunted house I have ever lived in. I have more stories of that house as well that I'll share at some point. Keep looking for more from me I have quite a few 😁
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
Hi Dreamer. To be honest I was skeptical on this story. I decided to go back and read it again. I read it againg and came to a different conclusion. I think this is a true story. After I read the story and heard the part with the flying knives I was skeptic. But there are other parts in your story that changed my mind. The appariations kind of gave me a different impression on your story. I also like the fact that you decided to come back and prove your story to me. Other people wouldn't bother. I would like to apologize for my first comment. It was an opinion and we are entitled to that but it was a bad opinion. I believe that this realy happened. I am looking forward to reading your other stories. No hard feelings. I hope to hear from you soon and take care 😁
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
Hello Dreamer. Was the knife thrown at you or just thrown across the room? The reason I ask is because if it was thrown at YOU then it meant harm and leaving was the best option. If on the other hand it wasn't thrown at you maybe the ghost/spirit was trying to just get your attention or maybe it was upset with the dirty pots and pans too. Some people throw things when they're upset and ghost were people too-ONCE.
Thanks for sharing your story with us and take care.

FRAWIN 😊
dreamer72 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
Thanks for all your comments. I will share other stories from my childhood up through. I was 24 when this happened and friends that came with me to get my stuff couldn't get out of the house fast enough. We tried to have a priest come over and bless the house, but every time he was supposed to come something kept him from it. I should also tell you that yes my friend stayed for a couple more months and they had small stuff happen. ChrisB if I had not witnessed the knife flying I wouldn't have believed it either, but it DID happen.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
Ok.Lets just say that I liked the swtory. Flying knives 🤔.But Hey It was a good story. I realy did like reading it. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
dukemanistan (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
I think that would have been my indication to leave too.

I want to inquire about girlie's comment though. A ghost can propel a knife through the air with a good speed, and you're all well and good with that, however throwing that same knife that same speed as it intersects a human body and it doesn't work? Do ghosts have a Hippocratic oath?
bruwx (2 stories) (78 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
As much as ghosts can be good, ghosts can be bad! It was a great idea to leave, but I think before that you must have asked why he tried to hurt you or sumtin
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
I agree with most of the posters that it was a good idea to leave. Actually, let me rephrase:that was an excellent idea!

Sometimes spirits would do anything to attract people's attention and would even go as far as terrorising them if they feel ignorned. But, mind you that whether they are spirits or ghosts, they were once human and pretty much alive. They acted and lived according to their standards and those standards were defined by their personalities. If bad, they acted bad, if good, they acted good.

In short, I wouldn't socialise with someone who through knives at me every time they were displeased.Well, once I threw my sword out the window cause mom wouldn't let me go to practice but that doesn't count as an aggressive gesture intending to stab anyone... Does it? 😊

Anyways, thanks for sharing your experience.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
HEY DREAMER72, You could have stayed a little while long if you wanted to, because GHOST CAN'T HURT YOU! How many times do I have to say that. It most likey didn't want stange new people in his house.
GIRLIE 😕
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Oh, wow. I have heard of this kind of thing happening before, and it makes me wonder. They're trying to get your attention somehow. But, honestly - how dare they threaten you with a knife. If anything like this happens to you again, do not let your fear take hold - you need to ask them to stop, and that those kinds of actions are unwelcome. If it persists, then its time to take action whether that be leaving or against the entity itself.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
I think considering you had a knife flyuing around, leaving was probably a good option 😁
Did your freind and his girl friend stay in the house: Did they continue to have incidents there?

Thanks!

God Bless!
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
That is a very creepy story. If I saw knives flying around, I would have definitely packed my things as well.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: