You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Rental Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Rental Ghost

 

I was in college in Arizona, and my family had just moved to California for my dad's work. He moved us around every few years, but I was stubborn and stayed in Arizona to finish my education. The paranormal was talked about freely in our family, it wasn't really a big deal.

Getting off the plane and meeting mom and my sister, first words out of mom's mouth were, "The house is haunted." I laughed, but my sister said, "No, it's not just a feeling, it's a little boy, the same age as D." D was our baby brother, probably 8 or so.

The house was alright, Mexican styled with a curved staircase going upstairs and a long hallway leading to a bathroom and three bedrooms. The furniture was in storage, everything in the house was temporarily rented until the permanent house was built. There were tons of patch jobs in the walls from someone punching holes in them or bullet holes. I couldn't tell which, but they were everywhere.

My sister had seen the ghost on the other side of the shower curtain as she was bathing and yelled at it to get out of the bathroom. She thought it was D, but he was downstairs watching TV with mom and dad.

Mom said she woke up in the middle of the night with it looking at her by her bed, and then it ran into the wall. The cats were terrified of the hallway, and apparently the ghost really enjoyed my sister's bedroom.

A few days went by uneventful. I was there the last night they were there, in the morning they were moving into the permanent house. So I went to bed, I was sharing my brother's bed since my sister had ringworm from touching the sick cat, and was laying there facing the door.

I watched a shadow walk down the hall and thinking, it was my sister, waited until I watched her come back. The shadow walked by again, not returning, but going again to the stairs. I thought that was odd, and again waited for the figure to return to my sister's room. It didn't. Instead whatever it was started throwing stuff down the stairs.

I didn't move, figured it was the ghost and stayed in bed. It sounded like luggage being thrown against the wall, and then it falling down the stairs. After a while of that, and me dozing off to be reawakened by thudding, the noises starting in the kitchen. I heard something being flung across the kitchen floor and crash into the wall on the other side. This went on until sunrise, with me getting no sleep whatsoever. Finally the room started to lighten to grey with the rising sun, and there was a boom that shook the house, and it flung the wooden door to my brother's room wide open.

It was finally silent. I went to sleep, only to be woke by mom throwing open the curtains an hour later. I was angry, I figured everyone had been awake for the banging and throwing, but I asked everyone, no one had heard a thing.

I went back to Arizona the following day, and my family moved out of state again a few months later, but apparently the boy had not moved with them. He was either attached to the rental furniture or the house. I felt bad for him, and still wonder why I got to hear the commotion while everyone else slept through it. I still wonder if he had died by being thrown down the stairs, or if that was just to get my attention.

Other hauntings by shelbyloree

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shelbyloree, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Silentwings (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-05)
Hi Shelbyloree, it sounds like he was trying to get your attention and when he realized that you heard him and didn't react went to a stronger attempt. Why you were the only one who heard him, I'm not sure but it is a good story. Thank-you for sharing.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-20)
Miracles51031: She tried to look for it, but couldn't find it. She just remembers riding bikes to Big Al's. As she was looking for it though, all she could say was wow, such a bizarre town! I got that impression too when I was there. Not somewhere I'd like to revisit. It was just all around a confusing place.

RedWolf: I only saw the crummy patch job after the fact, and from what I remember and my dad's comment, was it seemed like someone went with either a blunt object like a hammer, or someone took a fist and punched through the wall. They were messy and odd shaped, although either the person had to have been really ticked off to slam their hand through a wall numerous times (ouch!) or it was someone with a weapon going after the wall. Odd they didn't just rip down the wall and redo it like they do on those flip houses shows. Then again, that would have been every wall in the house.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-19)
Shelby
You would know the difference between a hole from a punch and a hole from a bullet. A bullet hole is much smaller than a punch hole.
Regards
Red
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-18)
Shelby - please do not post the address if you get it from your mom. We strongly discourage this and the comment with the address will be deleted if posted. Thank you 😊
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-18)
I'm sorry to respond late. I thought I would get an email notification for comments.

Sushantkar: I wondered if the child was shot in the house or beaten against the walls or some other horrible thing - I didn't think other residents could have been shooting at the ghost.

LoveOfAbundance: I didn't realize it until the second time the thing walked by that it was something odd. That was why I stayed in bed, ha! I am in Indiana now and a few years ago we had ice quakes that were similar. I am totally unfamiliar with California's underground situation, this house was in Chico.

Tweed: I checked on the things downstairs in the morning, everything were in boxes and the boxes were lined up by the wall. I expected the aftermath of a tornado, but nope! It did seem like a final note - the boom occurred just as the sun was rising. Mom didn't find anything out of place.

RedWolf: My sister was 13 or 14, and my brother was 8ish, so I think the hormonal energy was really there! I was going to yell at it, but then thought eh, I'll wait it out, ha!

Mimi81: I'm not sure if I made it mad, it seemed to have made its presence known to each person of the family. That was the last night before my family moved out, my dad wondered if maybe it was upset and wanted to come with us.

I'm asking mom if she remembers the address to the house. I'll let you know if she comes up with it. I remember it was in the basic 1970's hacienda style with the arches in the front and a heavy wood door.

Ok, now let me see if I can post this correctly. This will be my third try. Argh!
Mimi81 (203 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-16)
It always amazes me how spirits can select the people they want to hear the loud noises they can produce.

It's probably good you left the next day. It seems you annoyed the little boy.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-12)
shelbyloree,
This little ghost boy packs a punch. For it to have that much energy he may have been drawing energy of the people in the house if they have psychic powers. He didn't tap into yours because he was mad that you didn't notice him. Well he sure did get your attention in spades. If you had just gotten out of bed and told him you know he's there but it was bedtime and you needed sleep he might have stopped, maybe not.
Just my opinion.
Regards
Red
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
Hi Shelbyloree,

I'm so intrigued about the loud boom you experienced, you too LoveOfAbundance. I experienced this while in the midst of a horrible haunt. Since then, I've wondered if there was a physical explanation, and it was just a coincidence. I checked weather updates but nothing ever came up about it.
It's interesting that it seemed to signal the end of Shelbyloree's ghostly visit. Were there any signs of things being thrown around the next day?

Thanks for sharing, this is really interesting. 😊
LoveOfAbundance (2 stories) (27 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-08)
That was a good story. Thanks for sharing! The part about the ghost going down the hall in the same direction twice was creepy. The big boom that shook the whole house probably has a logical explanation. I used to live in California. Every house I lived in, I experienced infrequent, random, big booms that shook the entire house. Sonic booms, maybe? I don't know.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-06)
Hi shelbyloree1! I think it's residual. History of that house will tell whether the boy was killed or not. The holes in the wall, it's just came to my mind that may the the previous residents might had targeted the spirit (I could be completely wrong).

Regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: