You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Maybe Not Just A Dream

Real Ghost Stories

Maybe Not Just A Dream

 

I am relatively new to the site and have not experienced much when it comes to the paranormal, although I have had a few encounters if I may call them that, which have left me baffled.

Just a bit of history, the house I am living in now, in Midrand, was left to my brother and me by my mother who passed away three years ago. She herself had only just bought the house and had lived in it for two months before her tragic accident. I first saw the house after her funeral because I was in Durban at the time of purchase, working in a mobile theatre which travelled a lot. When I did finally move in everything was still in boxes, and when unpacking I found an old photo album belonging to the previous owners. Now for my story...

This happened at the beginning of the year, in January, I had just come back from a trip to Durban, visiting friends, and because I took the Greyhound, a 6hour drive, I was bushed by the time I got home. My boyfriend picked me up and dropped me off at home, then headed back to work. Now our property is enclosed by very high walls, and a heavy gate that makes a lot of noise when it's being opened. Having locked the main gate I mounted the few steps that lead to the kitchen, I closed the screen door and left the kitchen door open to let in fresh air because the house was stuffy. Being tired, I went straight to my bedroom and flopped onto the bed. I don't think I had been asleep for long, when I heard what seemed to be someone sweeping outside my kitchen. Curious more than anything, I got up and walked to the kitchen and lo and behold, a gogo (granny) was outside my kitchen, sweeping frantically. She seemed oblivious to my presence and I, still being confused, first looked towards the main gate which was still locked, then I turned to her and watched her for a second before asking, 'How did you get in?' She dropped the broom, ran up the stairs and grabbed a hold of my wrist which was still outstretched, my hand keeping the screen door open. Then she started muttering words that were incoherent to me, except, 'Mntanam, mntanam! This means my child, my child! I then looked into her eyes and they were dead, there was no life in them. It just seemed like a bottomless pool of darkness. That's when I freaked out. I scream, 'oh my gosh, you are dead!' I then hurried on to tell her to leave, that she did not belong here and to go back to where she came from. I yanked my wrist free from her grip and closed the kitchen door.

Then I woke up.

I sat up from bed, still baffled by my 'dream' because that is what I thought it was, but because it was so vivid I got up and walked to the kitchen. The gate was still locked, the screen door closed, and the kitchen door open. Nothing seemed out of place. Even the house was quiet.

It MUST have been a dream.

I decided to run myself a bath and while I was undressing, I happened to look at my wrist and it had the clear imprint of a human hand around it. I was bruised...

(Just as a side note, don't know if it's relevant but the broom she was using I also found in the house. It's one of those old straw brooms. And I looked through the photo album, I don't think she is in it but I am not sure. Her face has become fuzzy; it's the eyes I will always remember).

Thanks for reading my encounter, sorry for going on and on... I am just curious, has anyone ever experienced something like this or was it just an overactive imagination due to fatigue?

Your comments would be appreciated.

Other hauntings by Temilicious

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Temilicious, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-15)
Whitebuffalo this may seem very random, and it probably is but I need to know if you have eva heard of, or read any of Caroline Myss's books, namely, 'The Anatomy of the Spirit'. I just started reading this book and with every page I keep thinking of you which is weird. There is probably nuffing 2 it but I had to get it off ma chest.
So do you know of her?:)
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-11)
sorry for replying so late WB. You have no idea how much I wish I had let het finish talking but like I said, at that time her eyes really freaked me out.
Glad to say nothing that hectic has happened so let's hope she really did move on. I did a bit of digging from my granmama. After my mom passed away I rented the house out because I couldn't bear living in it but I moved back because I needed to buy a car and well renting else where was denting my pocket bigtime.
Anyway I told my granmama about the few 'weird' things that have been happening here and that is when she informed me that the guy who was renting here told her that he went to see a 'sangoma' sort of like a spiritual healer and it told him that there is an evil spirit in this house. When I moved in I found sea salt all over the house, closets the works. I don't know if it is him or the previous owners.

I know exactly what you mean about interpretations of dreams not being precise. I think I mention it on my profile but unlike my family who experience more physical encounters I am lucky enough to only get visitatons in dreams. Well I don't think I am lucky because it is never good messages.
It's frustrating really because I never know who the dream is about until it is too late. Especially deaths. But you right, only the dreamer can make sense of their dream.

Am going to check out the comment you left on XxelliemayXx's encounter.
Thank you.
X
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-01)
Dreams are a guide. They can show you direction, or the way you should be living, give you signs to help others, and they are gifts. Any dream that remains after waking is worth paying a bit more attention to, as it could be a communication with the Spirit world.
The interpretation of dreams is not always precise, and at times, only the dreamer can put a meaning to what is viewed in sleep. Sometimes people ponder, and talk about the dream for as long as it takes them to be satisfied in the meaning.
My apologies for the seemingly cut and paste from a different story line (Car Crash) but there really is no other way for me to say it.

But Great Caesar's ghost I have to break in here and say this. The description of her eyes are just what I was writing about in a different comment just SECONDS ago (Playful Ghost With Black Eyes And A Very Tall Man. XXelliemayXx), only I said it a bit differently. Weird.

Anyway!
OK, the broom was IN the house?
What a SHAME!
But a great thing all the same. Even in your SLEEP STATE you managed to send Grandmother to the Other Side, and let her free. Marvelous. You GO girl!
But Gosh would I have loved to know what she was trying to tell you.
Thank you!
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2009-11-15)
I have been hoping to dream about her again but I think I might have scared her off for good. She really seemed confused or maybe lost. I have no explanation for the bruising though. It did not hurt like a normal bruise would when pressed. I have even been tempted to try and make contact, but I don't want to dabble in things I do not fully understand...yet.
seregirl (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-10)
YES! Dreams of ghosts are always extremely creepy and unsettling. In my opinion, dreams are the easiest way for them to communicate with us since our minds may be more receptive as we sleep to things we'd otherwise block out while awake. The message they're trying to give depends on the dream. Sometimes they're just letting you know that they're there with you, but I'm curious why the old woman was speaking to you, saying, my child, my child! It's also peculiar that you were actually bruised after the dream, perhaps to make it clear to you that her message is important and shouldn't be dismissed?

In any case, best of luck to you!
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-09)
Temilicious, just contact me here:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/contact.php
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-09)
oh dear, I seem to have made an error. How do I edit the country. I don't even know where falklands are. Lol. 😲

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: