You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Voices In The Dark

Real Ghost Stories

Voices In The Dark

 

For my junior English class I have to write a research paper in order to pass for the year. I was required to pick a topic and I have always been interested in the paranormal since my experience with my mother. I decided to research spirits.

I had to narrow it down to one specific thing and in the end I picked spirits making contact with children. As I researched this I learned a lot about why ghosts like children rather than an adults. I also had spent some time thinking and was alarmed with a shocking memory as a young child. Though them memory was very blurry almost like a foggy dream I was questioning if it was real or not.

The memory is of me waking up in the middle of the night. I was lying in my bed and it was pitch dark. I couldn't see anyone or anything but, I could hear so many voices of all different people talking to each other. Some voices were scary. Some were calm.

I can remember being terrified and not being able to move. I don't remember if this happened more than once but, I know that I was very young like three or four. I am so confused about all of this. I don't understand why this happened to me or what it was. I also don't understand why I am all the sudden remembering all of this now eleven years later. Please help me figure this out!

Other hauntings by emily17

 

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, emily17, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

killtor (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-07)
and it wasn't smoke from toasters or things like that, we wouldn't leave the kitchen door open
killtor (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-07)
naveen: she was only very young, people don't think about things like that! |and bob_sigh: read the posts before you post...| I'm sure lots of people had paranormal experiences like these but can't remember them (slightly off topic: I have a strange memory I'm sure it was before I was born of being weightless and being in mid air... Which is one of the few snatches of things I remember from when I was very young. Something else I think is related, I was like 6 or so and I went into this house that my parents were renting and when I went to bed (which has a fireplace near to it) I sensed that something was next to me but I saw nothing there, I had weird repeating dreams that are quite hard to explain... I saw my room and outside it in the corridor and something (s) was scaring me like heck and I didn't know what it was... My parents told me it was imagination even though they beleived in ghosts too and sometimes the smoke detector went off for no reason.
naveen9885 (25 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-06)
its a imagination nothing to worry. Start thinking of sex or god for much time you will see or hear related to that. Test it don't worry about it. Scientifically there are some names I don't know exactly. Any have be happy.

My god blessings will be with you always

Thank you.
bobby_singh (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-05)
SLEEP PARALYSIS really kids its nothing to worry about, it happens to 40% of people its no ghost or spirits. Check it out on wikipedia. Even the voices are part of the paralysis
KoltenAspen (39 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-05)
That's weird has anyone lived in your house before you or has died
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-04)
EMMA2008: There are cases of sleep paralysis, but not every single case has that cause. Some truly are paranormal. Were you there when these incidents took place? How can you be so sure that the were sleep paralysis? I know mine wasn't because many other strange incidents took place in that house & I was wide awake for many of them!
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-04)
SLEEP PARALYSIS/SLEEP WALKING/NIGHTMARE. Your experience is not paranormal. I had a similar experience. Once, when I was young, I slept walked downstairs and ended up on the recliner. I woke up in complete darkness but with voices everywhere, like I was sitting in the middle of a crowded room in the middle of a party. It was scary! It only lasted a few moments and everything was quiet and I went back upstairs to my room. It was just a bad dream that for a few moments continued after I had awoken. In addition to sleep walking, I have had several encounters with sleep paralysis, you wake up and you can't move and you hear noises and possibly see things. Do some research on it and you'll feel better about it that it's not paranormal in nature.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-04)
I believinghosts, I've heard something similar to that and freaky is what it was. I was older at the time and its still so real to me. EMILY17, I saw your update just before I decided to go to the bathroom and almost wet my chair reading about your pouring juice in your ear. I guess that's one way to shut them up.
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-03)
I'd be glad to tell you about my experience, Emily17. When I was little, my family was living in an old house that was an apartment building at one time but we used the whole house. It was HUGE! Nothing scary ever happened downstairs for some reason, it was only upstairs where our bedrooms were. There was a very creepy attic, too. There was an old wooden crate up there & nobody knew how it had gotten up there or who had put it there. It was there when we moved in & my dad always said it had to have been built up there because there was no way it would have fit up the staircase. To me it looked like an old fashioned coffin, like they used years ago when the only thing they had to bury people in were pine boxes. That attic always scared me! I always heard footsteps up there late at night when everyone was sleeping.
Anyway, one night I was awakened by voices in my room a few feet from my bed. It was very early on Christmas morning, not sure what time because I was only about 4 & couldn't yet tell time. It sounded like a small group of people having a whispered conversation in my room & I couldn't tell what was being said. My whole family was asleep so I was freaked out to say the least! I was laying on my side so I had my back to the area of my room where these voices were coming from. I was so afraid to turn over because of what I might see. I finally somehow got the courage to look & nobody was there! The voices kept on, though. I laid there for awhile, debating on what to do & I finally ended up running into my parents' room. I told them what happened & they didn't believe me, saying it was a dream I had had. My dad even accused me of concocting a story just so I could wake him up to go open my Christmas presents! That's not true! I know what I heard that morning & I've never forgotten it. One of the scariest things I've ever experienced. The sad thing is, it seems as though I was the only one these things ever happened to, so I never had anyone to talk to about it. If any of my other family members ever experienced anything paranormal in that house, I was never told about it. We lived there until I was 10 then we moved. I was so glad to get out of that creepy place! 😨
emily17 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-03)
UPDATE: so I was talking to my father about this experience. He said the my mother had told him a story about me going down stairs in the middle of the night and pouring juice in my ear. Apparently when my mother asked why I said "to make them stop talking to me." my mother had no idea what I was talking about because there was no one else in my room. This makes me even more freaked out. 😨
emily17 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-03)
ibelieveinghosts: I would love the hear your story! I feel better that I'm not the only one.😉
emily17 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-03)
vulcan 10: I honestly don't know what time of night it was but I know I was sleeping for a while and then woke up. At the time my dad was never home because he worked the night shift as a prison gard. It was just me my mother and my brother. My brother andrew slept across the hall way and if there was a tv on in his room or if he was talking to anyone I don't think I would have been able to hear it. My mother was always very silent because she knew I had a hard time sleeping and the I always woke up easy.
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
Emily17, I had a very similar experience around the same age that you did & I've never forgotten it because it scared me so badly. If you would like to hear about it, let me know & I'll fill you in. Thanks for sharing your story with us! 😊
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
correctly remembering complete memories from that early in childhood are extremely difficult. I know many people who can't recall any or don't seem to have but a few snips here and there from that time. Just off the top of my head I don't have all that many unless I conscentrate on a given situation or time, but when something happens, an event, or subject matter comes up in just the right way I have total recall of certain events. On this foggy memory, do you recall whether or not you know if it was in the middle of the night? Could it have been a while since you were put to bed, since you were so young surely your bed time would have been quite early, and your parents staying up and having adult conversations, some quite animated, plus with the tv on as background noise, in a sleepy state, do you think you could have associated that within your dream? I know I've always read and heard about the veil between the unknown and our reality being the thinnest in childhood, but when I think of my early memories I always try and look at the surrounding conditions and stimuli in producing the resulting memory. I think your subject matter for your paper is an interesting topic (obviously since I'm on this site), and I'm sure your classmates will too. I hope you set the curve for the rest of your class.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: