You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Swinging Child I Couldn't See

Real Ghost Stories

The Swinging Child I Couldn't See

 

On the afternoon of October 13, 2007, I made, what I thought at the time, was a crucial traffic mistake. Where I'm from we have "Swap Days" aka Trader Days. For those of you who aren't familiar with this, Swap Days is an event that can tie traffic up for hours in all directions. And I mean HOURS! So I try to avoid it at all costs.

In order to get myself out of sitting in traffic FOREVER, I decided to cut through a part of "town" that I didn't normally go through. Not that there is any reason to avoid it, it's just a residential area and I didn't know anyone who lived there; therefore, no reason for me to be there.

As I was headed down the street, I noticed a single swing on a swing set moving. My initial thought was a child had jumped out of the swing, so I slowed down. As I got closer to that yard, I realized the swing was still swinging at the same pace, but no one was in the swing.

Although I didn't notice any wind, I thought maybe a breeze was blowing it, but the other swing and the teeter totter weren't moving at all. I still thought maybe there had been a child in the swing who had jumped out and I just couldn't find them. So I stopped before I got to the yard and looked both ways, searching for a child. I couldn't find any children outside at all. When I glanced back in the yard, I realized that the swing wasn't slowing, or moving in that jerky way that would indicate someone had just jumped out. The swing was still moving steady and smooth and wasn't slowing at all.

Then something caught my eye. I saw two little girls, about my little boy's age (6 at this time), looking out the living room window watching this swing. You might think there is nothing unusual about two little girls looking out a window watching some other child swinging. I would agree with you EXCEPT both these little girls' eyes were as big as they could be and their mouths were wide open in a "0" shape, which made me believe that they were seeing what I wasn't. That they could see the child swinging, when all I could see was the swing moving. There was absolutely nothing else out in their yard or anywhere else. It was pretty desolate. Not even an animal outside. Just me and that swinging swing.

When the oldest little girl saw me looking at them, she looked at me, looked at the swing, looked back at me. I just smiled and nodded. She then looked back at the swing. Her face never changed expression. She still had that surprised look on her face. She wasn't scared, just like "WOW, there's someone swinging in our swing!" I don't even know if these little girls realized what they truly saw. But I think from the expression on their faces, they might have had an idea!

Anyway, as I turned the corner to the right the house was on my right. I slowed almost to a stop and looked. The swing was still moving exactly the same: still smoothly and it hadn't slowed at all. I wish I'd had my camera with me so I could have recorded it. It was a totally unbelievable and one of the most amazing things I've been privileged to experience. I really wish I'd been blessed enough to have seen the child swinging so peacefully in that swing.

I thought that I would be able to prove that this is a residual haunting. Unfortunately the family who lived there moved, taking the swing set with them. If there is family currently living in that house, there are no signs of children. Maybe one day another family will live there who has children and will put a swing set up. I drive by periodically now. Just to see.

If I hadn't forgotten that was Swap Days weekend, I never would have taken that detour and I'd have missed out on that wonderful experience.

Other hauntings by Miracles51031

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Miracles51031, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
Elnora should start reading comments first! Haha.

:P

Great minds think alike?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
elnoraemily - I saw that on Fact or Faked. Thought it was very interesting. The part that bothered me was what you said, the environment was controlled. I don't think what they did disproved what the locals saw. I think there is room for doubt. But I did like that show.

Thanks for sharing that 😊
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
http://metro.co.uk/2007/10/25/haunted-swing-just-keeps-on-rocking-386557/

I lied.

It's in Argentina. It will also start back up when stopped.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
There is a swing that does this in Mexico- it may be in South America, but I think it's in Mexico- when the wind is just right. It's at a public park. When the wind cuts around the park, it hits just one of the swings on the set and causes it to move on it's own. The experiment for it was interesting and I think the conditions may have been a bit too controlled, but they pulled off recreating it. My problem with the experiment was that they put the swingset inside of a tent and used a fan that channeled the air towards only one swing, when that does not match the conditions of the actual movement.

Apparently, though, a little boy had died at that park and the locals still believe it's him.

I wonder what those little kids were seeing.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
Khili180 - this is one of my favorite experiences and every now and then I still go by, just to see if there is anything unusual. But that was the only time I witnessed anything that I would swear was a ghost πŸ˜†

Thanks for reading and commenting 😊
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-18)
That's so cute! Though honestly I would've been a little scared! But you seem to have had so many experiences, I'm sure you wouldn't get scared at all:) and I love the way granny put it... It was more of a validation for the kids than for you. It's becomes so much more believable when an adult sees it too!
By the way I had a doubt. But I see darkness asked it already- that what if the kids also just saw the swing move, without any person on it. That would be scarier I believe. A kid sitting and swinging on it would just be "oh he got into our garden"... But seeing it move on it's own would be scarier. I thought that would be a better reason for their mouths and eyes to be wide open like that. But since you already answered this question for darkness, you don't need to... It's just what you felt, right... Anyway another great story miracles. Thank you:)) )
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
Pjod - it was Fact or Faked. I watched that episode too and thought about the swing I saw and wondered the same thing. Could it have been the same scenario? I guess that's something I'll never know.

Another one of those cases of "If only I knew then what I know now." Or at least think I know πŸ˜‰
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
Reading this reminds me of an investigation I saw on television. There was this swingset- I forget where- and the swings would move from a standstill, slowly, picking up speed as if a person was seated and swinging. It was very popular with the locals as the haunted swingset. A team came out to investigate- and sure enough the swings performed for the camera.
The results were- even though there was no obvious incline where the playground sat- there was enough of a pitch, that a light breeze would cause the swings to perform. A very interesting case all around. I'm not saying this is exactly what's causing the phenom in the above case- just something to consider.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
Aishling - after much kicking and screaming, as well as "I'm not paying any more money on my cell phone bill," I am now the "proud" πŸ€” owner of an Android. The thing is much smarter than I am πŸ˜†. I had to have my youngest step-daughter show me how to answer it πŸ˜†. I took pictures of one of my grandsons and couldn't find them (technology baffles me and my Android and I have serious heart-to-hearts some days LOL).

Anyway, I do have a smart phone with an awesome camera and video camera, so "hopefully," if a situation would occur that I would need it, I can quickly find one of them;) I probably should just carry my digital camera in my truck, though, just to be safe LOL

Thanks for reading my story and for the advice.
Aishling (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-10)
Hi Miracles! I'm new to commenting on here but have been reading the stories for a few years now. Have to say yours and zzsgrannys are my favorites! I think you really need to invest in an iphone or a phone with a good camera and video on it just because of all these experiences you have so you can easily document them 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-04-24)
Ms-Foresight - this was truly one of the most amazing experiences of my life. And, yes, the look on the girls' faces was great. Just the fact that they were seeing something that I was witnessing was enough for me.

Thank you for reading and commenting on my story.
Ms-Foresight (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-24)
Scary! Glad you shared it with us... The looks on the girl's faces must have been great.

Grace πŸ˜†
nicholeminee (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
i was actually just about to! I just don't know how to share a storie can you tell me?! 😒 😊
nicholeminee (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
creepy! 😨 that must have been so scary but such a great experience at the same time! 😊:) lots of people wouldn't believe in this but I do! 😁 this must have been so col what a shame it was not on a video!: (
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2010-11-02)
nicholeminee - thanks for reading my story and commenting. Honestly, I never thought of stopping. Since I couldn't see the child myself, I wouldn't have wanted to do anything to disrupt the fun that she or he was having. And, yes, I really do regret not having recorded it somehow. Even if it was only for me to see, it would have been great.

Feel free to share your story, if you'd like.
nicholeminee (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-02)
WOW I would have loved to see that I wonder what would have happened if you stopped the swing and watched it after you turn away 😲 if it would fasten up or stay the same I have experienced something like that myself and it was a great experience for me and I feel the same and I wish the same that I had filmed it. 😒 thanks for sharing 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2010-10-18)
Well, Darkness, I'm glad to see you survived! Good to have you back!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-18)
Miracles haha I have only just come good today lol! Me and Chuckie were celebrating well into Sunday that's for sure haha! πŸ˜† ❀
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2010-10-18)
DARKNESS, so glad to hear from you. Thought maybe you and Chuckie tied a good one on and you were STILL celebrating πŸ˜†

We'll look for you on Facebook!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-18)
Hi Miracles thank you very much to you and everyones else (you all know who you are 😁) for your birthday wishes! Saturday was a very big niteπŸ˜† I will be on FB tonight to thank you all once again.

Cheers guys and gals 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2010-10-16)
Hey, Darkness, wonder if they'll let me say Happy Birthday!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2010-10-10)
To my Loonie Friends - this was Swap Days weekend. Darkness, I'm going to email you some pictures and I'm going to post some on my facebook page. Granny suggested I go by this place and see if I picked up anything strange. I parked my truck in the parking lot of a nearby store and walked this now vacant yard twice. This yard is the length of the entire block.

Today has been a particulary windy day and when I got to the front of the yard where the swingset had been placed, I could not feel the wind blowing either time I walked in that area. There are four pretty decent-sized trees along the front of the yard that may have been keeping the wind from blowing on me, but I felt absolutely no wind until I got to the other side of the yard. I felt wind on the other three sides, which do have trees.

I don't know that it means anything, but it just validates that the wind was not pushing that swing the day I drove by and saw it swinging.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-07)
Yes Granny I didn't realise the situation was so dire πŸ˜† What did happen to Moonshadow and Kardagen I havnt heard from them in ages?

Your right with the two little boys story Aussie! Good funny times that was mate! πŸ˜†
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-10-07)
and your right it is funny how these discussions ignite from left field... I wonder if moonshadow is still around? I have to admit two little boys was a blast, I do not think I had laughed so much in all my life... I think the difference here compared to facebook is we can be a little more insulting here without any one taking offense...
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-07)
That's right granny, Aunt clara... Yeah we all have a aunt clara I also have a uncle Aurther... He was a funny man... What a character he was.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2010-10-07)
Aussie: I forgot to say the little witch on Bewitched that always messed up the spells was Aunt Clara... She was by far my favorite character on the show!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2010-10-07)
DARKNESS: LMAO! A frog with a blonde mullet! πŸ˜†...You see how badly Aussie and Frank need you to come back to the Bin?...Although, I think we might have to enlist Aussie's son Brandon to cover his back...

Aussie, funny how one little sentance can turn the whole conversation around HUH? πŸ˜† ❀
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-07)
Aussie: Mate looks like I'm going to have to lift my game and get things back on track. Noticed how none of them have commented yet? You know they are up to something lol. 😨 Dont worry I'm researching spells as we talk champ you hang in there we will make things right again buddy! 😁 πŸ˜†
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-07)
LMAO! HOW do you think I feel over in the loony bin... True I have frank to cover my back but it's not enough... The girls have us out numbered mate... And they stick together... Look out they don't put a spell on you. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† I have cracked, we lost nick a while back but I'm hanging in there...
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-07)
Aussie: ahahaha mate that has got to be one of the worst shows ever made lmao I swear the camera lens is smeared with vaseline it seriously has to end. πŸ˜†
The LBC woman have really done a number on you mate, I think we are going to have to look into some protective or binding spells, the last thing I want to see on your profile page is a frog with a blonde mullet.πŸ˜†

Your right champ! This is all Granny's and Miracles doing hahaha ruthless they are! 😁 Love it!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: