You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Fearful Night At College

Real Ghost Stories

A Fearful Night At College

 

I know that this might not be the most eventful ghost story ever recounted but it is a true one. This happened to me personally. I still do not know what exactly happened that night and if you have any information that might help me figure out what happened, feel free to comment.

Last year was my first year attending the University of Texas at San Antonio. Since it was my first year I decided to live on campus. I ended up being assigned to the oldest of the dorm complexes. My boyfriend was living at the newest dorm complex and after only living there a couple of months I found that I rather liked my boyfriend's apartment style dorm and I started living there with him full-time.

One night when he was exceptionally tired and requested that he have the bed all to himself to stretch and relax I decided that it would be a good night to go to my room and have a girl's night in with my roommate whom I hadn't seen in a couple of weeks. It was really chilly out as I walked across the silent parking lot and passed the completely darkened common eatery. I made it to my building and walked up to the third floor alright and then I swung the door open to my dorm only to find it completely dark and empty. It turns out that my roommate decided to go to her home town for the weekend.

I had never had any problems sleeping alone there before. However, that night I found the room immediately to be eerie. I had the feeling that every time I had my back against one part of the room, there was something waiting there. My boyfriend requires that I call him when I arrive at my destination after I've been walking alone so I did just that.

I called him and told him I wanted to go back to his room or have him over in mine. He refused both saying that it was too late to have me walking around in the dark and that he didn't want to inconvenience himself just because I was a little frightened. I found that acceptable and thought I was being silly so I just chatted with him a while and then he went to bed. I stayed up until about midnight or 1 AM watching TV.

When I began to get sleepy I got up and turned off all the lights because I cannot fall asleep with the lights on. I fell asleep quickly and I was sleeping fine until something really strange happened. At around 3 or 4 a.m. I was awoken by the feeling that there was something in the room with me. I was not jilted wide-awake as is the case in most ghost stories. I just sort of opened my eyes and lay there with really blurry vision for a few moments. My mind was really hazy because I was still sleepy. Then a feeling of terror came over me. I could make out an amorphous black misty shade creep up over me as I lay in bed. It had to have been really pure black because the room was completely dark and I still saw this misty entity.

I was horrified and drowsy all at the same time. If that's not enough, I was paralyzed. I wanted to talk or to scream but nothing would come out. I wanted to move my arms in front of my face but I couldn't even move my arms not even an inch. I stayed there for a moment trying to will myself to move but it just wasn't happening. Within a few seconds the shade disappeared and I could move albeit very shakily and with much effort. I decided that even though I was shaken that it was probably just my imagination so I reached up slowly and turned on the light. I left it at that. I awoke several hours later and told my boyfriend about it. He said I was just dreaming. I told my dad about it some weeks later and he too said I had been dreaming.

I know I was not dreaming. When I awoke the morning after my encounter the light was still on just as I had left it after I had been terrorized that night. I recalled everything that happened and I just know that I hadn't been dreaming. Here I am, just about an entire year later and I am still clueless as to what happened.

I did a little bit of research and I have found no evidence or records that anyone has ever died in that building although I guess it wouldn't be publicized. Some weeks before my roommate had told me that she had seen an apparition in the room while she was sleeping alone. She said that she had seen a woman hanging from a noose in the room but I didn't believe her. I still don't believe her because she always made a lot of stories up, and because whatever I felt, I don't think it was even human.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ArchAngelAmaris, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

spamhead24 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-19)
This is known as Sleep Paralysis, If you lay on your back in sleep, Its common to happen 😕
hmhurst (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-22)
archangel,
I may not be coming in to the story late to decusion but yes I do think this possible, instead of studing the school, study the grounds because this is all very possible. Sometimes it can be residual of something that happen hundreds of years ago. Also believe me dreams are like a door to the past so try to remember them and when you get up try to write them down. Go to local library and research the events you witnessed or had someone tell you about weather its a spirit or real person its possible.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
Seems to me that this experience could be a combination of 2 things. As most of the posters have already mentioned this could very well just be a case of sleep paralysis, but as you mentioned you had an overwhelming eerie feeling before you fell asleep, never under estimate your gut instincts.
Entites, spirits etc do have the ability to alter the atmospher within a room and I believe they can cause the effects of sleep paralysis on an individual also. Just some things to consider.

I agree with Jazzeyjay ask around maybe someone might have had similar experiences. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
ArchAngelAmaris (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
I agree with a lot of you too when you say it might be sp, it sure as heck felt like it. But I just can't imagine that it was jus sp and nothing supernatural at all because of the whole creepy and actually seeing an apparition factor. I absolutely wouldn't mind if it was sp and nothing else because that would mean that it was normal and I have nothing to worry about like being haunted by that thing ordered running into it again. It just didn't feel like just a physical episode. I don't think I imagined it either. I should really research that strange story about the man who was found dead. Also, just to clear things up, my roommate didn't randomly tell me the story. Incidently we were talking about ghosts! Lol I guess she just wanted to say something interesting. She did say a lot of untrue things very randomly though lol. Thank you all for all of your comments. I really enjoy talking to you all. I appreciate all of the information and theories.
AloveB85 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
Someone does not have to die for a place to become "haunted." It could be many different things. Anything from a depressed person once living there, or a arguement that esclated into an act of violence. Or it could of been a random act, seeing as it didn't happen again.

One more thing you may want to keep in mind, not to discredit what you experienced, but it could of just been soemthing you imagined.

But above all else you knoww hat happened, in situations like these, to comfort myself I like to keep a binle close by and say a little prayer.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
Anywhere you go inside a Place that is dark I get same feeling too like My stamach get like jello feeling inside and kind of like your stamach drop down when you going into the dark place and Sp Never had that but I do believe that When I feeling that I am not alone feel like you are been watched so that what You feeling like that How I know that something is there that we can't see and dreams to let you know what really happen to show you what going on. Thanks for the story and Hope it only happen Once time. Have a Greatest day!
butthead (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-14)
dont think your flat m8 would just randomly say " I seen an apparation of a woman hung by rope in my room " just randomly, even if lying.
I know chronic liars, but its just a strange thing to lie about... To lie about something that might not be believed in the first place.

Just a gut feelin dan said its a dark entity, he right that would explain why you felt the way you did. Could perhaps been lookin over you confused to why you was there and not the other girl, and perhaps tested you in some way.
Just thoughts...

scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-14)
Sounds like sleep paralysis, but no matter what it was it sounded terrifying. I'm glad it didn't happen again to you:)
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-14)
A lot of these comments offer some really good advice and theories to what happened, I just want to add my own viewpoint.

My idea of this story is that this specific space in question is home to a darker entity, not demonic but dark. I get this because you felt somewhat eerie that night on entering the room, much before the experience happened. We should never take our gut feelings on a space for granted, more times than not they serve us right and give us a key instinctive guidance. In my opinion you experienced what you did when you did because we are at our weakest when we have just awoken and our body is switching on.

S.P is very possible too, it's very common to have an episode every now and again. We can't make an absoloute answer because we weren't there, this that I have commented is only a theory of what I think is a possibility.

I enjoyed reading your story, thank you for sharing it and I hope all is going well.
littlemonsterx91 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-13)
trust me, you weren't dreaming. The same exact thing has happened to me and it occours every now and then. It started when I was about 14? I'm not sure but some time after my grandpa died. I live in a house with a family of 6 but it has only happened to me and no one else. I've tried telling my family about it but they don't believe me. I'm glad to find out that the same thing has happened to someone else and I'm not just crazy...
roseinbloom (4 stories) (117 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-13)
Dear ArchAngelAmaris, and brainlessbandit, Howdy! I as well, live in S.A., just 10 miles down the 1604 loop, from U.T.S.A. Wow, small world, but Big Texas, go figure.
Getting back to your story, I am really liking what Nitengale23 said, in that it may have been S.P., however, I tend to think it could be brought on by an evil entity, as suggested. The reason being, that you picked up on the bad vibes, before hand.
I also want to mention, (and maybe you can research this, by past newspaper articels), around the time my family first moved to S.A., about 11 years ago, I remember, a big news story about a man being found, dead in his car, in that area. If memory serves me right, the location was at John Peace and 1604 which practically is the entrance to the campus.
Police said it was "mysterious", circumstances, involved and is still listed as a "cold case" to this day. Anyway, just a tip, maybe it could have bearing on who could be haunting the area?
Good Luck, and I truly hope it was a one time thing, for you.
God Bless you. By the way, "Gig Em Aggies!" Sorry, couldn't help it! 😆 ❤ 😉
Nighthingale23 (60 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-13)
Hmmn strange... I don't believe you were dreaming, and I know someone mentioned SP, which could have been the case, you should look it up you'll find a lot of similarities to what you've experienced, but then again, it doesn't explain the feelings you felt beforehand... Maybe it was just the fact that you were alone in a cold dark dorm which if you ask me it would give anyone the hibbie gibbies lol. Regardless it is also believed by some, that spirits powerful enough can somehow use Sleep paralysis to torment their victim thus feeding off your fear. But don't worry I'm sure and I hope it was a one time deal lol.

Take care and God Bless ❤
By the way I'm also from Texas, and its a Big state filled with rich paranormal history.:]
misstee (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-13)
hate to be a statistic but it was sleep paralysis, I had many episodes out of no where when I was pregnant, I felt like I was awake and I felt a presence there but I could not turn to see but then I would snap out of it, I also had dreams where I saw things flying around my room and crashing into the walls and a feeling someone was holding my head down against my pillow and then I would wake and everything would be normal
ArchAngelAmaris (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-12)
Hi Solik:-) I think I am going to take yours and JazzeyJay's advice and try to ask around. I guess I'll just have to get over the fact that some people are just going to laugh. I might ask the director of residence life. He seems like an open guy and he should know a lot about the building. BTW, when I was in High School I wanted to go to the University of Wisconsin!
ArchAngelAmaris (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-12)
Hi Brainlessbandit! Wow it's awesome that you go to UTSA too. It makes me feel peaceful that there is someone around here that believes in this kind of thing. As you probably know, San Antonio is more of a conservative place and not too many people are willing to be open-minded to supernatural things. I've done some research on UTSA and I've never found evidence of death or hauntings. The institue of Texan culture is supposed to be haunted. I was also thinking sleep paralysis but like you, I was wondering why I felt those eerie feelings before it happened.
ArchAngelAmaris (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-12)
Hello JazzeyJay, I appreciate your comment. Well, after that night I really didn't want to sleep there anymore. As I recall, I only slept there maybe 3 nights and all of them were spent there with my roommate in there. This year I live at the same building but I live on the first floor now. I still stay with my boyfriend though lol. It just doesn't feel right to me staying over there. You know, I really wanted to see if anyone had seen or felt anything but a lot of the people there just laugh at stuff like that. I haven't really found anyone to tell especially since I only have one friend and she stopped going to UTSA and went back home. I hope that was a one time thing but you know, I often have creepy feelings or I feel faint presences. Last week I had a dream that a man was trying to tell me he was dragged to death by horses around the area of my boyfriend's dorm. Of course my boyfriend didn't believe me. Sometimes I don't even believe these things myself. I don't think I have any particular gift for this kind of thing I guess sometimes it just happens. I would like to think though that if stuff happens I won't be as scared.
SoliK (13 stories) (44 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-12)
I think you went through sleep paralysis also... It is quite frightening. I think college dorms are the perfect place for ghosts to hang out. I went to University of Wisconsin and lived in an old dorm. There were plenty of ghost stories about the dorms there. I think what makes people apprehensive to believe is that so many were make believe (many told by students coming home drunk from parties) that you don't know which stories are real and which ones are fake. I agree with jazzey that you should ask other students in the dorms if they have experienced anything out of the ordinary there. Find people who you think are credible and might take you seriously. I hope too that you don't experience this again... Coming from experience it is nerve recking.
brainlessbandit (2 stories) (27 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-12)
Wow. I'm also a UTSA student and I haven't really noticed anything unusual there... Except for a weird moving shadow I saw in the Sombrilla near the JPL early one morning. I think you might have had a sleep paralysis episode, but I can't be too sure since you did have that eerie feeling prior to going to bed. In any case, I hope UTSA isn't haunted. That would be very, um...unsettling. I don't live on-campus but I sure wouldn't want a spirit looking over my shoulder while I'm studying. O_O
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-12)
Thank you for sharing your story. It is amazing at how many stories you hear of haunted dorms. If nothing happened in that building or your room, it very well may have happened on the property itself.
It can really chap your hide when someone tells you that you were dreaming or something is just your imagination or something. I know people are just trying to help and trying to keep the person making the claim remain calm, but sometimes this doesn't help when you are truly frightened and have to continue living in this place where the incident occured.

Well, what happened after that? Did you go back and stay with your boyfriend, or did you have to continue to stay in your dorm? Is there any way possible that you can contact some of the other students who may have lived in that dorm to see if they have had any strange incidents there?

Hopefully this was just a one time thing and the spirit was just a wandering spirit and has gone on about his/her business.

Thanks again for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: