You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Haunted Barn

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Barn

 

My Aunt is one of those people that always manages to live in a haunted house. This time, not only her house but her barn is haunted as well. The barn is a really old fashioned style barn with two levels. The ground level is where some of their cows stay, as it has doors that lead to the pasture. It has stalls built for the cattle and it's impossible to see all places in it at once. There are stairs (not a ladder) leading up to the second level. This level is completely open, it's not divided in any way and from the top of the stairs you can see all around the room. It's used to store hay.

When I was about 12 or 13, my brother (about 8 or 9) and my cousin (same age as my brother) and I were playing a game with my uncle. He would hide somewhere on the farm and we would have to find him. It was a game we played all the time. So we waited in the house with my aunt until my uncle hid. We waited about 15 minutes and then went outside. We assumed he would be in the barn on the lower level because it had the most places to hide. After searching for some time we heard footsteps upstairs. We started to giggle and ran up the stairs. There was only one small stack of hay on the second level as it was summer time and they pasture feed their cows during the summer. It was the only thing to hide behind. We ran all the way around it and no one was there. The three of us were all puzzled by this and couldn't figure out where my uncle had gone. We had heard someone upstairs but now, no one was there. We gave up and decided to look somewhere else. As we walked away from the barn, we looked up at the window on the top level and there was a hand resting against the glass. About that time my uncle jumped out from behind the garage to scare us. Ironically dressed as the Grim Reaper. We told our uncle about it, he said he had been waiting in the garage the whole time and didn't go into the barn at all that afternoon.

My uncle is one for tricks, but we knew it wasn't him because he had the whole grim reaper thing planned out for some time and there aren't any hiding places on the second story of the barn.

My aunt has reported hearing footsteps up there multiple times. In her house, there are two staircases which footsteps can be heard too, even when no one but my aunt is in the house.

Other hauntings by shamby

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shamby, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Frederick (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-06)
We have a barn as well in our backyard. I used to climb up to the rooftop that overlookeed the valley. When I was 5, I remember playing football with my brother in front of it. And my brother would look up to the top window and tell me he thought he'd seen something up there. Creepy!
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
My guess is that someone lived or work at the farm and died in the barn is haunting the place. Like ghost - luver101 said animals are sensitive to the paranormal but if it wasn't reacting then I would say that the cows were comfortable with this spirit.

As troyarn mentioned, I would love to find out the history of the house. If you find out anything, let us know.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
A friend of mine had a barn just like that when I was growing up so I know the lay out... There is NO place to hide in the upper level when little or no hay is there. Please let us know if your aunt finds out anything about her new haunted house and barn. As for the hand, wow! That is creepy! Thanks for sharing this!
shamby (15 stories) (100 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-06)
It's my aunt's barn. And the animals all act fine every time I've been around them. They don't seem to mind the ghost living above them.
ghost-luver101 (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-05)
ok that is really creepy who can live in a house were you can hear footsteps. Plus why would you put cows in a haunted barn. Everyone knows that animals act strange when ther's spirits around.
❤ ghost-luver101 ❤
crf1997 (2 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-03)
That is creepy! If I saw that hand I'd probably pass out, haha.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: