You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Young Old Hag

Real Ghost Stories

Young Old Hag

 

This happened to me a few years ago when I was a senior in high school. My family still lives in this house, which is no more than a few decades old and in good part of your average Midwest city. Before I continue, I feel you should know some background information. Ethnically, I am Hmong. In our culture and history, there are plenty of stories about the Old Hag, which we refer to as having been "hma ntsuaj" or being jumped. I have always heard stories from friends and family members about feeling as if someone was sitting on their chest or back during the night. Although the stories were interesting, I always brushed those experiences off as sleep paralysis. However, my experience left me dumbfounded and blew my whole perception on the Old Hag.

Some days after we get off of school, I would get tired and take a nap. I usually fell asleep on the living room sofa but sometimes in my brothers' room, as my own room was down in the basement and I just felt too lazy to make the trek up and down (I have no fear of our furnished basement). On this particular day, I decided to sleep in my brothers' room on their queen size bed. I awoke about three hours later and heard my mom and dad talking in the kitchen, down the hallway. My dad works the late afternoon shift and gets a break at 8pm for dinner, so I know it was between 8 and 8:30. When I awoke, as is with anytime, I tried to go back to sleep. I could hear my parents talking indistinctively and then of a sudden, I felt someone at the bedroom door.

My brothers' bedroom door is located at the end of a short hallway, with my parent's door on the right side. My sister's bedroom door is on the left side, but about halfway in the hallway. Looking into my borthers' bedroom from the doorway, my two brother's queen bed is immediately on the left against the wall, with my third brother's single bed next to it and against the far wall.

As I laid with my stomach down on the bed and my left side almost touching the wall, I felt the entity jump on the bottom of the bed. In my mind, I simply justified it as my youngest brother crawling into bed. It moved up my body to my back trying to squeeze between myself and the wall, and I questioned myself why my brother would not have walked around the bed instead of jumping on at the foot of it; we have a foot board that extends up about half a foot. As the entity snuggled itself between the wall and my upper back and shoulder, the biggest question popped on my mind: why would my 6/7 year old brother come sleep with me when he never really liked me and his bed was the single bed in the room? At that realization, my body froze up. I'm not sure if it froze from the force of the entity or if it was just fear alone. My mind raced and I shivered a wave of cold sweat. Here I was frozen in bed, the pressure of a toddler on my left side, trying to scream and move and not being able to.

Then I remembered a piece of advice from a forgotten source: pain. I bit my tongue, but nothing. No pain. I bit harder. The numbness started to fade and then the pain kicked right in. I could move. I jumped out of bed and ran out the door. I sat right at the kitchen table with my parents. I didn't say anything or do anything for a few minutes. Then in the middle of their conversation, I blurted that I got 'jumped'.

What happened after that is kind of a blur. My dad said some prayers and I had to wear a handmade wooden talisman on a necklace for a few days. This experience never happened to me again, nor has anything else paranormal. We have small alters in our home that are dedicated to our ancestors. We believe that they watch over us in all aspects of life and protect our families and homes. In return, we offer help when asked for through dreams or a shaman, may it be something they never completed in life or simple offerings such as incense and burning money (special 'afterlife' kind). Therefore, I have never felt threatened in my house before nor after this incident.

The thing that sets this apart for me as opposed to others' story is that I felt the distinct pressure of something crawling on me, specifically the mimic of a child's movement. I have not been able to reason this, and I remember that that night at the kitchen table, I told myself if I forgot everything else, at least remember the genuine feeling of that entity's crawl.

To my knowledge, my cousin claimed he got jumped the summer before my incident, but that was a whole body experience that occurred in the living room. I brush that off as sleep paralysis. Nothing else paranormal has occurred in that house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jesuis88, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

domo344 (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-23)
Tell me... What does the experience of being 'jumped' signify? Does any tragedy happen to the person or anyone they know?
watermoon (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-26)
What a story and a creepy experience I would have been so terrifed if that happen to me when I read your story it gave me the chills. Thank you for sharing ❤
jesuis88 (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-25)
[at] Amibear Looking back I should've just titled this Young Hag. What I meant was that this is a phenomenon known as an Old Hag, and because what I happened to me felt like a child/toddler, I'd just add the adjective 'Young'.

[at] epic_Fail The talisman was a small wood carving a little less than the size of a AA battery. I remember thinking that it looked like the tiki man from Honey I Shrunk the Kids, but it no where as detailed. I actually don't know where it came from and I'm assuming my dad made it and destroyed it afterwards.
epic_fail (5 stories) (51 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-24)
That's really an interesting story! What did the talisman have on it, the one you had to wear around your neck?
Amibear (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-23)
So why is it called Young old hag and is it something like a banchee or something like that? ❤ ❤
Spottedpeltwarrior (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-23)
Freaky, but intresting story thank you for sharing it with us ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: