You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Young Man On Guard Rail

Real Ghost Stories

Young Man On Guard Rail

 

I had no paranormal encounters that stood out between the years of 1968 and 2010, until this encounter. December 2010, about two weeks before Christmas, was getting off work at 6pm, after working a 12-hour shift. I got on the I-5 freeway, heading south, towards the first Olympia City Center exit, doing about 40mph along with traffic. It was raining. I noticed to the right of me a young man who was sitting or leaning against a short guard rail. He looked to be in his 20s?, wearing dark blue jeans, blue vest, darker long-sleeved shirt, had long hair (reminded me of how I dressed in the 70s). I noticed when I saw him that he was not wet and it was raining. I noted he had a dead stare, looking straight ahead at traffic.

I continue to look his way and when I get where I think I would be even with him, I realized he wasn't wet and then he just disappeared. The guard rail was part of an overpass that went over me on the freeway, with a fairly deep ravine on the other side of the guard rail. When I got home, I told my wife about the dry guy in the rain that disappeared, and that I thought he may have passed along freeway somehow and needed help. My wife looked on the computer for any deaths that may have occurred along that overpass. A picture came up that showed a young man that had passed in this area, but he did not look like the guy I saw.

I felt I had to go take a look to see if I could help and put this to rest. I had to go to the next exit, up from where I saw him, in order to enter the easement to get back down to where I thought he was. I didn't want to park along the freeway to stomp around. The area where I entered was known to be a hot spot for local homeless, drug users, and pan handlers next to the on and off-ramps of I-5. I was worried for my safety and not owning a gun, I took a wood pick handle with me and went to comb I-5 along this ditch area and stayed on property along the fence line. I walked along as far as I could and did not find anything of interest, no bones or bodies. The winter grass was very low, so it was easy to see the ground while searching. I was greatly relieved to not find anything. Still had to find guard rail area without going through anyone's yard.

I later took my wife with me on the weekend to go perform a search again of the area. We drove around in the general area and found a road that led us downhill into a neighborhood to where we came upon a dead end street that faced the freeway approximately where I saw the young man. We parked and got out and my wife took pictures with her camera, but we didn't see anything, nothing odd came up on the camera. We we were leaving that neighborhood, we saw a small cemetery that we didn't know was there. We didn't get out and look, as we didn't want to take the chance of any clingers. I thought maybe this young man was connected with this small cemetery. This was my first paranormal experience in approximately 43 years, since my childhood experience with the Couple in the Cloud. After this encounter with the young man on the guard rail, and installing mirrored double closet doors across from each other in our small master bath hallway and mirror on bathroom door, we started having more experiences. Mostly me in daylight hours.

Other hauntings by CantunSEEit

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CantunSEEit, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-19)
lady-glow - My little Beetle was green and didn't have a name as far as I can remember.

What I felt in the car wasn't frightening at all and I mostly felt it when I was driving alone after dark. The "feeling" came from the back seat right behind me (right-hand drive in South Africa). Maybe someone looking after me? I like to think so but I don't know.

I sold the car to a woman who lent it to her brother and he wrote it off. I was really upset!

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-18)
Melda.

I hope the uninvited companion in your VW wasn't of the unnerving kind. Do you know if it stayed there after you sold it?
My first car was a white VW Beetle and I called it "Cacheton" (big cheeks).

Nice to 'see' you around and to read your always informative comments... Which I have been unable to upvote for a while.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-18)
Hello outofthemirror.

This is a fascinating experience, I'm not sure if the apparition got into your vehicle or not but, if some new unexplained activity was triggered after this event, then it would be possible that he was the cause.
It was nice that you tried to find him, perhaps he appreciated your gesture of concern for his welfare.

These encounters with ghosts at the side of the road can have different outcomes, it's common for people to report someone getting into their car and acting odd, but not odd enough as to consider them a spirit, only to find out that they have vanished once they reached their destination.

There's an episode of "Unsolved Mysteries" that talks about numerous encounters of taxi drivers in a city in Japan, with ghosts asking to be driven to several destinations; the spirits are people who died during a tsunami.

In my opinion, your ghost was just doing his own thing and you happened to be there at the right time... Or was it at the wrong time?

Looking forward to read your other stories.
outofthemirror (guest)
+1
3 years ago (2020-11-18)
Melda. There was a Ghost show that had a bad spirit stuck in the car. Crazy stuff. I have submitted 3 more happenings from this home. I word them the best I can as it happened. So many happenings. I would take a lie detector test on all. This happened and must have happened to others. Getting these out is a cleansing for me. I don't know if they will print NO EYES ALL TONGUE. This one brought back some stress. Do you have a happening in here. Have a good day
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-18)
outofthemirror - I hope others comment soon. I personally would love to hear opinions on this incident and I'm sure the OP would as well.

Oh my, that wouldn't be the first ghostie to hitch a ride! He probably didn't but I'm reminded of the time when I bought my first Volkswagen Beetle, which was by no means new. I often felt that I wasn't alone in that little car. I was 18/19 at the time and sold it when I turned 21 and decided to do some travelling.

Regards, Melda
outofthemirror (guest)
+1
3 years ago (2020-11-17)
Melda I was looking he was gone I honestly thought he got into my truck right then.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-17)
outofthemirror - Did this guy actually disappear while you were watching him or did you glance away and then notice that he wasn't there anymore?

This might sound like nitpicking but I think some readers might ask you this question. Mostly we look for logical explanations but I for one am able to accept this as a paranormal event for the simple reason that "somebody" who was standing right next to me was gone within probably a second, with no logical ability to traverse a long corridor in that space of time.

I realise this happened a long time ago but just try to cast your mind back to the length of time that he might have been out of your line of vision.

I'm not contradicting my previous comment to you but perhaps you can expand on that aspect a bit.

Regards, Melda
outofthemirror (guest)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-16)
The young man had long hair to his shoulders, and sewn squares on his fluffy down looking vest. I could see him that clearly.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-16)
outofthemirror - Reading this experience of yours once again brings home to me the fact that we constantly walk past people who appear to be perfectly normal and we don't give them a second glance.

However I believe that we do occasionally encounter spirits who outwardly appear to be normal people but are actually out on their own little jaunt! If they have that "normal appearance" we won't give them a second glance either. I had a rather strange experience at a supermarket once but won't go into that here.

If the young man at the guardrail hadn't caught your attention because of the rain and then his disappearing trick, you would more than likely have forgotten about him before you reached home. I wonder how many people did in fact witness what you did.

I must say you put in a whole lot of extra effort in an attempt to put a name to him, together with your wife even.

I'm also dying to read about the mirrors 😨

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: