You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Paranormal Vacation

Real Ghost Stories

Paranormal Vacation

 

In May of 2011 me, my parents, cousins, uncles, aunts, all went to the The Outer Banks in North Carolina. We rented a really nice 3 story beach house that was very active with ghosts. The house was no more than 20 years old, and we weren't told of anything other than right before we left for our vacation we were told the owner was recently hospitalized and we had to go through a Rental Company because the owner was unable to make the arrangements.

The activity didn't start immediately. 2 or 3 days after we got there my aunt (Holly) came out of the house from the bathroom, and said "who did it". We all looked at her dumbfounded. She said "who knocked on the window?". The window was right around the corner from where we were sitting outside, but we had all stayed in the same place as we had been when she left, and we would have seen if someone else did it. So this was only the beginning.

The 3rd floor was the kitchen, living room, dining room, 2 bathrooms, a bedroom and a widows watch. I was sleeping in the living room and the hallway to the bedroom and bathroom was making creaking and groaning sounds, like the floor boards were loose and someone was walking on them. But I walked over there and no such noise was to be heard, not even a little squeak. I jumped up and down but I just couldn't re-create the noise. I was terrified to sleep so I laid awake for awhile hearing the noises frequently. And it only happened when I was alone.

The widows watch was the scariest though. There was a wild fire not far from us, so the air was smokey and heavy, and the widows watch didn't have A/C. The air was still, no wind, and I was trying to enjoy my solitude, but a heavy, and eerie presence was making me uneasy. There was only 2 swivel chairs and a table with a lamp. I sat alone in one of the chairs when this rush of cold overcame me and the chair looked as if someone is sitting in it, and began to rock and sway back and fourth. I opened the door, turned off the light and ran down the stairs as fast as I could.

What I believe is that the owner passed away and had come to claim his property, all I know is I have never been exposed to that much ghost activity, ever.

Other hauntings by CronishaxGurl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CronishaxGurl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scary567 (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-29)
i would of passed out it sounds so scary don't go back there!omg😭
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
[at] zzsgranny: Ohhhhh I see a ton of those where I live. Thanks!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
Mountaineer: A "widow's watch/walk" (mostly called widow's walk) are on the roofs of a lot of older homes near or on the coasts...It's the railing you see in pictures, etc, and many have a small room in the center, much like a belfry... They are said to be used by the wives of mariners, to watch/wait for their spouse's or loved one's ship to appear on the horizon...
hiya_hayz (5 stories) (66 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
So far all of this could be explained. A bird,rock, or maybe a branch from a tree if one is close to it, hitting the window, the wood in the house settling, a breeze/the wind.
kayako_21 (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
That's house need some cleansing. Just avoid the window watch.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
Would this be the Dismal Swamp Fire? The smoke from that is terrible, I live in Virginia and the wind Blows smoke my way sometimes. Luckily Irene put it out. And this is some pretty spooky activity, just hope it doesn't escalate. Could you please describe what a widow's watch is? I'm not knowledgeable in architectural stuff.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
The fact that you said there was a wildfire nearby piqued my interest in the window-knocking and the floorboards groaning. Windows and wood tend to settle and pop when there is heat nearby, and it happens moreso when there is no air conditioning to cool off the inner workings. I cannot provide an explanation for the rocking chair, however... Maybe there was something paranormal going on there, but I guess there is no way to know for sure.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
Umm guys, this time Marigomez1 may be right. Most of what has been described here can very easily be explained away as natural causes. I'm having a hard time finding the paranormal activity here myself.

Jav
deejayy53 (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-27)
This is a very interesting story! But like ParaExpert said, hopefully you did say sorry, because it deinietly is possible if a spirit is that mad it will follow you and haunt you.
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-27)
Marigomez1
That is not true. There are many signs of paranormal activity. To have an apparation is "standing in front of you" is the lesser form.
Marigomez1 (2 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-27)
the window knocking could be a bird and the rush of cold could be air conditioning or air coming from the vent. Unless you see an actual apparition standing in front of you, all these are not signs of paranormal at all.
ParaExpert (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-27)
Please tell me you said sorry to the spirits for intruding on there territory. This happened to me once, and then they followed me back to my home. They weren't nice. Hopefully you did.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: