You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Floating Above My Bed

Real Ghost Stories

Floating Above My Bed

 

This occurance has plaqued me for years and I have tried to debunk it multiple times but with no success. It all started about 15 years ago around the age of ten in a house my family was renting in the little town of Rocklin, Ca. At the time my brother, who is three years younger than me, and I had shared a room and slept in bunk beds. I had always slept on top and have always been a deep sleeper.

One night during a normal nights rest of sleeping on my stomach as usual, I was woken by the feeling of pressure on my chest (distinctly hands) pushing me off the bed. I was so scared that I kept my eyes shut, but was clearly awake at this point. I then begin to feel as though I'm being moved to the side away from my bed which would mean I'm now floating with only the ground below me. During this whole time I'm confused and wishing it was a dream while still holding my eyes closed, until I decide to make sense of it all by taking a peek. I should have probably just kept my eyes shut because to my surprise below me was only the ground and my bed off to the side of me, I was so freaked out I quickly shut my eyes and wished I was dreaming.

Next thing I know I'm no longer in my room but in my living room on the couch. Now I realize this might sound a bit far fetched but I know for a fact I wasn't dreaming and my father and I had both had experiences in this house before moving which i'll talk about later in another post. I've just been really puzzled by this whole experience and don't kow what to make of it so if there's anyone out there with a practical opinion or advice than I would greatly appreciate your input.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, vinividivici, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-09)
When I read your story, my first thought was you must have slept on the couch in the first place and when you had you out of body experience, you might have thought that you were in your room. I'm not saying that what you experienced is not true but I was thinking logically.

You mentioned that your father had some experiences also. I would like to hear what happened to him also. Have you talked about your experience with your family and what did they have to say about it?
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-08)
I believe Rook has explained it perfectly. Your consciousness left your body but it scared you so when it reentered your body you high-tailed it out of there without even waiting to wake up.
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-08)
This sounds, in part, due to sleep paralysis, though I'm not debunking what you felt. But sleep paralysis can definitely explain the feeling of hands pressing on you; it's one of the symptoms, along with weightlessness and the inability to move one's limbs. I've often felt like I'm hovering above my bed during the middle of the night if I'm in between sleep. But then I open my eyes and I'm still in bed; it's ususally just a feeling of weightlessness or numbness that's more often accentuated when I'm in bed sick. But that's just me.
You could have experienced an OBE which are rare, but feasible. You could also have sleep-walked without knowing it. Perhaps this is something that you and your father share?
Otherwise, I hope that you discover exactly what's going on. Please give us updates and don't be afraid the next time this happens. Don't panic, you won't be hurt, and try to pinpoint exactly what you're feeling.
reptilian (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-08)
Very odd indeed. It is almost as if this was forced on you. But why would anyone or anything bother to do so? Personally if I was going to drag someone along for astral travel I'd only do it if I had something worth showing them. "Heres what your bed looks like from above!" what a waste of time and effort, there are far more interesting sights to see.
Taking this into account it seems likely that there was no external influence, that you were entirely responsible for the whole thing but weren't sure how to handle it. When you wished to go back to sleep you ceased struggling and allowed higher self / universal consciousness to take over, and for whatever reason it left your body on the couch (perhaps so you wouldn't later mistake all this for a dream).
It may have been an early lesson in astral travel. Perhaps you are one of the few people in history ever to have physically dematerialised and rematerialised someplace else and you didn't even realise it.
You should look into this, things are so much easier to do when you know you've done it before.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-08)
Intresting...you mention other experiences, some that your Father witnessed, very cool.

This particular experience may have been a combination of two things... An OBE (Out of Body Experience) that being floating above the floor. You mentioned you felt as if some 'thing' was pushing agaisnt your chest and once you worked up the courage and looked you were floating off the floor... Many people report these type of sensations just before experiencing an OBE.

As far as waking up on the couch... You stated this...
"I was so freaked out I quickly shut my eyes and wished I was dreaming." This thought returned you to your body but you slept walk and ended up on the couch.

These are my guesses based on the details you have provided. Please continue to share with us. I for one look forward to more of your experiences.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: