You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Attacks From A Demon?

Real Ghost Stories

Attacks From A Demon?

 

This has only occurred twice to my knowledge, but both times were scary.

I'm going to start with a bit of my background first. At the age of ten, I'd lived in a different home from my mother. She was a single mom who did the best she could to raise us and avoid involvement with DCFS, so my sisters and I were separated and sent to different family members. My older sister stayed with my mom, my younger sister with my oldest aunt, and myself to my youngest aunt. My mother lived in a house split into two apartments.

Here, my experiences start.

I went to stay the night with her and my older sister one night. As my mother had just moved in and hadn't gotten furniture yet, I slept on the floor of her room. She was working third shift at a hotel, so it was just my older sister and I. My sister was in the living room, watching television, and I had gone into my mother's room to go to sleep. Just as I was falling asleep, I began to feel as though I were sinking through my pillow and the floor. At once, I felt something surrounding me as I sank. I couldn't move, but my eyes were open. The scariest part was that I could actually SEE myself sinking! Before I knew it, I could move again. I ran into the living room to my sister, and slept in there that night.

A little over ten years later, I found myself in the same situation. It was a week before I was due to be baptized at this church I had joined, and I was staying at my older sister's place for the weekend. I was settled on the couch, ready to fall asleep, when I felt that familiar paralysis and sinking feeling. My mother entered the living room and began to watch the television. I couldn't cry out to her! I even felt hands wrap around my throat and begin to choke me! I couldn't breathe, and I frantically began to pray for help from God in my head. Shortly after I began praying, I felt myself become freed from the attack.

I haven't had that sensation since, but I fear it could happen again at any time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shikyo_Miko, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Hauntingly_Familiar (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-07)
Sorry, been without a computer and all for quite some time. I forgot what my username and password were, nor which e-mail I used, so I made a new profile. I haven't had an 'attack since posting this, but I have another story I may post in a while. Again, my apologies for not getting back sooner. 😨
Ffeather (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Just wondering if you have managed to sort this out yet? Let us all know please.
Shikyo_Miko (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-12)
Thank you all! I wasn't sure, but you've helped. And if it makes any difference, I was laying on my side when they occurred on both occasions.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
It is sweet, may not be enough to convince most, but at least it makes interesting discussion hey mate... Cheers 😁
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
Aussie,
I hear that mate. It's like they've been reading your mail!
Validation is sweet, is it not?

Jav 😊
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
Lol Jav, I guess what makes it a little more interesting is how the theory I'd transcribed earlier is almost the same as what is written on this Link... I had no idea my own conclusions are shared by others and groups of people's with century's of psychic experience with the paranormal?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
Aussie,
Thanks for the link. This topic has my attention now more than ever. I'm going to check into this now.
And DARKNESS, the sensitivity to light aspect of this is VERY interesting. I hadn't heard about that one.

Jav

~Aussie, don't look now, I believe it's another math equation that can go on forever~ πŸ˜‰
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
No worries Aussie it is interesting stuff that's for sure, it raised a lot question as to why it would be sensitive to light, a 3rd eye would make a lot of sense mate! Hmmmmm going to try look for more info on this! 😁 cheers buddy!
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
Here Dan and Jav, you both may find this link interesting http://www.crystalinks.com/thirdeyepineal.html
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
Yes Dan, I do believe directly or indirectly it has some thing to with our third eye? And possibly is it? I have considered that before I didn't know it was sensitive to light? Which would make a lot of sense wouldn't it... Thank you!... For letting me in on that young mate. 😁
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
[at] granny
The fact that you've seen the 'Hat Man' pre-paralyzation is interesting to me. Since I haven't had S/P myself, I guess I had just assumed that the fear and visions came post-paralyzation.
Add to that, the probing feeling that is normally associated with the 'Hat Man'. AND the 'Hat Man' himself. How is it that those dudes show up in other instances that have nothing to do with S/P?
You being aware of an oncoming episode and then snapping out of it before it can take hold is another wrench in the works as well.
Ooooh, so many questions...
So many possibilities...
Yeah granny, I see your point now. Wow, this is a real mystery when you consider all those variables, huh?
DAMN! I love this site!

Jav 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
What an interesting conversation you have been having here, Daz your very clued up with all of this mate that's awesome learnt something new again today! 😁
Aussie, that Penal gland that is what they presume to be the Third eye am I correct? I remember watching a show on TV and it was a surgery that was happening and they were showing that the penal gland was sensitive to light! That made me think! What do you reckon? πŸ˜•
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
Jave: I've had episodes in every sleeping position...I've never experienced being choked, pressed down, sat on, etc... I get a ringing in my ears, more like an "electric" buzz, that takes over my whole body if I don't snap myself out of it at this stage... It only takes a few seconds to become fully paralyzed, so as soon as I detect the buzz, I change positions... The paralyzation happens as the buzzing progresses through my body... During all of this, I get "visions" of the Hat Man, standing near or sometimes in a doorway... I always feel like I'm being mentally probed πŸ˜†, like my mind is being searched... Freaky and frightening...

That's just an example of an episode, as each one differs somewhat, but basically that's it...
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
That's why I keep coming back here Jav... As someone who has experienced both and can acknowledge the difference, I'm hoping other's too might see that merit behind that... They really are awful experiences and when you read stories like this one... You just don't want to leave them to the demise of their own imagination and going down a path that might affect their health and well being unnecessarily.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
And that is why some people cannot be moved from their honest belief that what they experienced was so real and lifelike.
It has it's arguments, but the studies have gone a long way in explaining why those same symptoms occur so often for so many.

Jav
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
He was verbally communicating whilst all hooked up to the machine... I think people and results like his would probably be rare and I think that's why they should do studies on people like John Edwards and co... This guy's study along with my own experiences and interpretation's have derived me to put forward this theory about S/P...the problem with this condition it presents itself in the same way as most paranormal accounts do and is very convincing to the sufferer.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
That is a study I would love to read. I know they scanned people's brains while meditating, in a trance, & speaking in tongues, but those results were not so encouraging as they suggested the mind was not receiving external stimulus but rather was firing in areas associated with imagination. When you say they were communicating, do you mean verbally or psychically? That is a fascinating study. I am going to search my journal databases, but if anyone finds it please do post it. I am so encouraged that studies like that are being done.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
I found this link here on this site you may find interesting about brain waves and psychic levels...

http://www.psychic-experiences.com/psychic-articles/brain-wave-states.php

I think from memory he patterns was reading Delta as he just sat their and talked to those taking on the study.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
That's right Jav... I can't remember who it was they ran these test on... It was on T.V and I remember the point of the programme... And that was to study a psychic's brain pattern and see if there were any notable changes during sleep/wake cycles and were at a lost as to why his brain patterns was suggesting him as asleep, when he was wide awake and functioning.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
Aussie,
I have heard of the study your are refering to. It, or another one just like it, was announced fairly recently too. I'll have to see if I can access it through Google. I don't want to focus solely on the position of a persons body because that doesn't explain psychic phenomenon that occurs while sitting up or standing. Which we know occurs all the time. It's the ability to hit that switch at will that is the most amazing to me.

Jav
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
Nsya, They have done Brain scans on psychic individuals that display sleeping patterns whilst communicating awake? And can not explain how that is possible?...so there are some studies out there that just may support what I'm eluding too.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
[at] granny,
Do you happen to recall what position you were lying in when you experienced those episodes?

Jav
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
That's an interesting theory Aussie but not very well supported. Brain scans show that the same parts of our brains are working when we dream that work while we are awake. Which strongly indicates that dreaming requires a physical body. In fact a recently published study using lucid dreamers showed that when we make a movement in our dreams the part of the brain that actually works to make the movement is stimulated, just to a lesser degree. All evidence points to dreams being a part of our physical life. I would love to see brain scans done of people during astral travel. Presumably there would be nothing except the automated signals to breathe, etc. Or maybe we would see that our non-physical body does communicate with our physical body when we are operating separately which would suggest that more could be going on during our sleep.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
Sorry for the confusion, I should have said those that I know personally 😳...I'm one who's on the fence about whether every episode is not paranormal, but only because of my own experiences... I won't post a story about them because I'm just not sure either way... ❀
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
That's an interesting point Jav and could be a point worth noting in regards to what causes Sleep paralysis... Obviously with brain circulation in regards to blood flow, lack off or too excessive amounts of oxygen may just help stimulate the attack due to the position of the brain and the flow around the penal gland at that given time... And laying on your back may just contribute to the experience for previous reason mentioned?...you talk about Edgar Cayce, what made him different and a little greater than other psychics... Was his ability to switch on the light switch from his sleeping state of consciousness... Which enabled him to use tools with in his spiritual consciousness...ex; being able to see the future and make predictions... He was my favourite and I feel personally fortunate enough to have touched some of the bases he experienced... When I was talking to my mother it was from that same zone Edgar Cayce was able to put himself in, the difference being he could do it daily... For me it was more of a fluke.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
Aussie,
I always love reading your explanations and theories. They help me see things from a different perspective, which is always a good thing.
Now here is what I'm wondering about. I've theorized to David that one possible cause of his bouts with S/P may be that he most always sleeps on his back. Whereas I do not. Since I haven't done the research I should to back up this theory, I am only going on personal experience. So my research, I imagine, is eventually going to lead to the effect that position of the body would have on the penal gland.
Here's where your theory comes into play.
In the case of psychics having the ability to hit that switch, and for my example I'll use one of our personal favorites, Edgar Cayce, who had his most profound visions whilst lying on his back, I'm thinking that the position of the body has an effect on the penal gland.
Does that make any sense to you?

Jav
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
You do have a valid point Granny and I'll try to offer an explanation in some detail for it... When we sleep how do we dream? With what eyes are we viewing our dream as it goes on around us?...I believe that when we dream this is our spiritual consciousness coming out to play and learn in a sense... Our dreams are usually set up by our conscious thought processes and other combine factors interacting with our sub conscious probably in preparation for what comes after life?... For most people, as they come out of their dream state and back to their conscious awakening, this process happens fairly quick... Like a light switch hit from out to on and on to out in a split second... That light switch is called the penal gland, which is located in the brain area and has a transitional purpose of making us sleep and helping us wake up... Now for some people who have psychic encounters, this light switch doesn't turn off as quick as others and before they consciously awake they can experience the paranormal as well as Sleep paralysis... Some of these experiences will also depend on environmental and psychic circumstances going on around them at any given time and back to those who wake up sharply without spiritual or fanciful interaction are more likely to go through their lives as sceptic's, not always but most probable, because seeing is believing right? Or maybe that sceptic is just one old stubborn bull, I also suspect that some of the worlds best psychics are able to switch on that light switch (penal gland) whilst communicating from a conscious state of being... So I do support their could be a physical and probably environmental explanation contributing to a sceptic's point of view.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
I don't think that is accurate granny, I think you just don't hear people who have had the problem talk about it in a paranormal context often. My mother had an episode & knowing nothing about it assumed it was a paranormal event. But just in case it was a medical issue (her mother had died young of a stroke just a few years before so she worried about that kind of thing) she asked her doctor. After he explained it to her & she did more research on it she accepted that it was a simple physical issue. Similarly, when I was a child I had frequent hallucinations due to high fevers. I would have sworn that they were actually supernatural things I was seeing, I would still believe that if I had not learned differently. But the fact that the strange visions always stopped when my fever was brought down (not a pleasant experience) & that I know there is scientific documentation of fever induced hallucinations I realize that's what I experienced. I believe that people who read up on it more than just an online summary, but in depth scholarly studies, which are easier than ever to access because of the internet, they would find it easier to accept that, on it's own, SP is not an indication of anything paranormal. I know there will always be people who believe what they feel over scientific study & admittedly both can be wrong, but logic requires we put aside what can be explained physically until we have better indications that there is more to it. But I digress. My point is that there are likely many people who have experienced SP but are never involved in paranormal discussions because they don't believe something paranormal happened to them, which would make it appear that there are fewer people who have experienced it who don't believe there was, or probably could have, a paranormal source.

I want to apologize for my poorly expressed response last night, I am going to blame my cold medication.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
Not in my house. My sceptical husband has had several bouts with S/P, and I, on the other hand, have not.

Jav 😊

Mr. Sceptic also fought off the old hag once!
But of course, he still has to SEE to believe. Figure that one out. πŸ˜•
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
-1
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
One of the things I find extremely interesting is none of the skeptics or non-believers I know have ever had an episode of SP... On the other hand, most of the believers HAVE...Now, this is, by no means, any kind of proof of paranormal activity, just an interesting point... 😊

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: