You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Paranormal Maybe Not?

Real Ghost Stories

Paranormal Maybe Not?

 

My Mother's house as I explained in my previous story is quite old. This story is about the cellar of the old house.

My Mother's cellar can't be accessed from inside the house. There's an old wooden sliding door at the back of the barn house that enters into the dirt floor cob webbed walls of her basement. At the very back of this room is what I like to describe as a little hobbit door. That door leads into the second half of the basement in which you have to crouch down into the doorway and then step down into the first room of the second half. This room is filled with antique old original parts that had been removed from the house over time and revamps (ie... Wood stove, old organ, desks...etc...). Directly on your left is another room which contains the furnace and hot water tank. I have only been in these rooms not even a hand full of times.

The basement has always freaked me out. Even just going through the sliding door has always given me the chills. When my Mother and I originally moved in one of the men from the moving company we hired actually told me he wasn't going in there to put away our storage. When questioned he replied "they don't pay me enough to go in there." (lol) Luckily enough the two other men didn't feel the same way.

There have been strange happenings with the cellar that have happened in the time that my Mother has lived in this house. All can be explained away with reasonable explanations. But the freakiest happening was the time when my ex, my Mother and I were at her place chilling with a movie about a year after the move. My ex, Christian, had gone to the bathroom and came out with a question mark look on his face. He explained that while in the bathroom he could hear what sounded like a cat faintly yowling from under the floor boards. (The Bathroom is located above the furnace room) About an hour later my Mother after going to the bathroom claimed the same. We all gathered into the small closet sized bathroom to listen. They both could still hear it but I could not. I never heard anything.

Chopping this up to me being hearing impaired I sent Christian to investigate. On our way to the back of the house we could see the lamp in the furnace room was on. Now there is NO way this lamp could have been left or turned on. My mother and I never go down there EVER because we are both big chickens when it comes to dirty little spooky places. In order to even turn the lamp on you have to fumble around in the blacker the black dark to find the extension cord and plug it in. Noticing the light freaked me out. Before that I just assumed a cat was stuck in the basement but how can a cat plug in the light?

Now I, having watched way too many scary movies, told my ex if he goes in there and something happens to him I was NOT going in to save him. I knew too well that in the movies that is how the murderer lures the unsuspecting second victim in for the kill. (I really need to stop watching those movies)

All worked up for nothing Christian went into the cellar and came out with nothing. He turned the lamp off and we went about our night never hearing the "cat" again. Not knowing how the lamp had been some how turned on and figuring someone might have been snooping around our spooky basement.

Christian didn't find a cat but there are many places to hide in the first room so I thought maybe I should put a can of tuna just on the other side of the sliding door to lure it out. I did so the next morning. That evening the can had been mangled beyond recognition. NO normal cat could have done that so I booked it out of there.

Even the night we heard the cat can be explained away with reasonable explanations. The tuna could have been eaten by a larger animal. Someone snooping around where they shouldn't in our cellar...etc...

My mother nor I or anyone else has ever heard the a cat again but to this day years later the lamp in the furnace room can be found randomly turned on.

Other hauntings by MissyM

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MissyM, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
Hi adsouza.
I don't think the rats in our area get very big. I can't say for sure cause I have never seen a rat in my neck of the woods but my mom's house does get cute little field mice and she has to keep mouse traps out all year round to keep them from soiling everywhere and getting into her food storage. She had a cat that helped keep the mice at bay but unfortunately has been killed by the coyote we have discovered lives in her barn. So I'm 100% sure the can probably was eaten by something much bigger.

The only problem with the lamp is that it has to be plugged in so I don't think a rat or a mouse can do that. It's not possible.

I do think a camera or some kind of security system is needed to see if someone or something is snooping around my Mother's basement. I'm just not technically inclined to install a video camera and we don't have the money to buy one. I can't even afford to buy myself a digital camera let alone anything for my Mom's scary creepy basement...lol
We could have can's set up but the way her house is positioned there is a big cow field that stretches from the back to the side of the house and on gusty days hear the wooded doors to the basement banging in the wind so the can's would most likely be set off every two seconds by the breeze.

I think it's easier just not to think about the lamp. It's just too freaky to think of what or who is turning it on a few times a year. My Mom as been there for 7 years now and who ever is doing it has never harmed her in any way which is good. So ignoring it calms our nerves.
adsouza (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
Hi Missy,
I know I may be late on this one, but as they say better late than never. The story is creepy. And even though I dare say that I don't get scared too much, this experience would have spooked me out.
The video camera and the can alarm system are good ideas. Also, check for a large rodent. How big do the rats get where you are at? Somehow, I have this belief that anything to do with electrical circuits somewhere has the rats involved. I have seen enough evidence of my car lights going out on the highway, my doorbell ringing with no one at the door, my motorcycle refusing to start even with a new battery system, etc. (I now think its funny the way they manage to do it). Maybe looking from this perspective could help you find your answer, but I can't say for sure.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
MissyM,
This is great! Creepy and spooky, just the way I like them.
The tuna can doesn't bother me as much as the lamp does. That isn't even funny how scary that sounds to me.
And to be honest, if it isn't paranormal then I would be even more freaked out.
Thanks for scaring me MissyM, good job!

Jav 😲
ambercrystal (23 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
Wow, this story is really good and paranormal or not still creepy. By the way I agree with the advice to put a video camera to find out it it's human although be careful that it doesn't end up like the tuna can.

I would love to hear more of your stories MissyM;)

P.S. I agree with all of the comments about Cristine, she doesn't really seem like a psychic/medium, very close minded and quick to criticise.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
If you were living in South Africa, I would definitely
Say you had a vagrant 'useing' your fascilities! To me, this does not sound paranornal, just creepy! Could your Mom set an alarm system (old cans and string) to find out if it is human, or something else?
Loved your story 😊
ParrotPig104 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
Loved this one - it really made me shiver! As for Cristine, learn to spell "the" before you start accusing people of their mind's playing tricks on them.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
Thanks Zeta 😊
Iv read your stories too and think the same of you.
People like you and so many others on YGS make my day.
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
MissyM, very interesting story. Please keep us posted if you experience anything else.

As for Cristine, I agree with you, she's just here to waste our time. So let's not pay any attention to her unnecessary comments.

Blessings.
Looney 😁
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
Hi Missy:

I enjoyed reading about your experience and your previous one as well. Your mother's house, of which you speak, reminds me of a house that I lived in for some time when I was very young. What I like about your story is that you also add in different things that it could be; offering explanations other than just paranormal. I think you are a reasonable and realistic person who has witnessed paranormal activities. (that's how I like to think I am also). I also would like to add that it doesn't take a Bachelors Degree to understand the paranormal or to be an "expert" in paranormal activities. 😜 "Keep on truckin".

Zeta.
aya22 (guest)
+5
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
MissyM, I don't want to detract from your story either but don't waste your time at work responding to 'Christine.' She accuses posters of seeking out the paranormal, hallucinating, needing a psychologist, making up their stories, and seeking out attention. Pay attention to that last one especially. In most of her posts she 'pops it in there' that she's a psychic/medium. Sound like attention-seeking to me, no?
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
Oh and to add Cristine, I have noticed that you have 0 stories, 14 posts and -27 Karma which leads me to believe your just here to be rude and I just wasted my time again on my previous post.

Thank you.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
Cristine,

Did you even read my story before you went on a rant?
I wasn't asking for help or nor did I claim that my story couldn't be explained away with reasonable explanations. I know it can.
If you read my story you would know that it's about the light in the cellar being turned on is weird. Maybe not paranormal but defiantly weird.

"Find yourself another hobby, like golfing. Don't waste your time with meaningless relics and rare occurrences that easily need to be and are explainable through scientific evidence (outside of teh paranormal)."

I love to golf among other things. Thanks for the advice but it's not needed. My husband and I even went to PEI back in 2007 just to golf. 😁 Great times.

This site for me personally is my escape from work. It is a way for many to get answers and or help. Not everyone here seeks out the paranormal sometimes it seeks them. I for one do not "seek" but why would you care if I did. It's as good a hobby as anything else and makes for some good reads on this site. Check out Old dude stories. One of his hobbies as a teen was seeking the paranormal and he has some great stories about it.
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=35479

Your rant about the mind and its ability or lack there of was dragged out and a waist of my time as it had nothing to do with my story. I'm not sleepy, if others see the lamp turned on then obviously I'm not hallucinating, I never claimed to be physic, I don't have a problem with many nightmares or terrors...etc...
I recommend you to get the new hobby. If you think everyone is wasting their time on here then why waist yours right.

This comment from Cristine is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
I like ktc96's idea about putting up a video camera to see what you capture.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
Mangled Tuna Can? Sounds like you may have had a badger underneath.
Though badgers are NOT known for their ability to manipulate light switches, as far as I'm aware.
ktc96 (1 stories) (8 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
what you should do is put a video camra out. Somewhere where no one else can see it and let it play throught out the day and night and then you can caught who or whatever it is. 😕
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
I wish I would have taken a picture of the can.
I don't think the tuna can had anything to do with anything paranormal. My Mother lives in the county. If you look the area up online (Greely Ontario) you'll find news reports on all the coyote trouble they had there a few years back and we have seen fishers in the area. So I'm pretty sure a cat didn't mangle the can. The cat yowling makes me think that whatever ate the tuna may have gotten the cat too.

The basement light is what freaks us out all the time and always has us questioning. I almost would prefer it be something like a ghost. It scares me more to think that there maybe someone real and alive snooping around my Mothers house when she lives there all alone.
Not cool, and very creepy.
😕
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
I agree with sarandal, but it is definitely weird. Real or not, it is still a great story and I bet it gets you thinking from time to time.
sarandal (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
to be honest I reckon that there's no ghost, I reckon its someone snooping round in your basement, it needs to be locked up and boarded up and if you can still hear things then maybe there is a ghost 😕 and as for the can I'm pretty sure a cat could do that aha xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: