You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Face In The Garden

Real Ghost Stories

The Face In The Garden

 

First of all, let me introduce myself. I am from Northern Ireland. I am studying to be a journalist. I will clear something first, I have not personally witnessed anything paranormal except in minor cases. I am reporting stories from my family and my closest friends in whose truthfulness I personally vouch for.

All information collected was gathered by first hand interviews. I recorded them in note form and then rewrote the accounts in prose. I currently have nine separate stories to post in due time, and hopefully I will add to this number. My goal in doing this is sheer academic interest.

Let's begin...

Location: Moyle, N. Ireland. February 2011.

My partner; let's call her Jess, she lived with her mother and her step father as well as her two half siblings and one biological brother. There was constant strife in their home, with her younger sibling in a constant state of rebellion and her parents having a breakup looming in the not too distant future.

Jess has a selfless attitude and her concern over the happiness of others often suppresses the preservation of her own contentment.

The constant quarrelling, isolation and emotional stress that comes from such unfortunate happenings began taking on an unexplainable form.

When stress was at its highest noises could be heard around the house. This was odd considering both parents were at work and so were the two siblings and the youngest brother was with her at the time. Then the Television would pause (Sky Plus has a pause function). The strange thing was the remote control would be sitting on a flat table untouched. Then it would resume playback, then it would actually turn off and then on. Jess just watched in awe along with the baby brother.

These events always occurred after a fight when the family would all leave to their workplaces feeling angry and upset, and the strange things grew frequent.

Jess talked to me about it because she knew my family had paranormal experience (They will be discussed in future instalments) but the advice I could offer was no more than for her to ignore it and to cheer up. Yet, being the panicky type of person; she was afraid.

Towards the end of the month the odd happenings grew to a climax. She was in the kitchen preparing her lunch around midday, the house was completely empty at the time. Jessica spotted a woman looking in her kitchen window (The window faced onto the driveway, not the road or a publicly accessible place.) She could only see her from the waist up due to the window sill covering the lower part of the apparition's body.

She described her as wearing the following garments "She was wearing what mum called a wrapover, it was a yellowy browny colour." I then asked her to describe her hair, Jess said she had a "shoulder length curly bob" hairstyle.

The apparition then performed an action. It smiled. Jess described it as a 'friendly' sort of smile. Then unnervingly it waved at her, and then Jess said "She mouthed 'hello' through the window at me, then I blinked and she had vanished."

She panicked and then hastened to contact me and tell me the story...

Jess later described the figure to her mother, who went and brought out a photo of a woman and asked did she recognise her. Jess did. It was her grandmother whom she had never met or even seen an image of before because she had died prior to her birth...Jess's mother became very emotional at this.

Less than two weeks later, the fighting in the house intensified and Jess made a decision to leave the family and move in with me. I was there but saw nothing. I faced the wall, Jess looked at me over my shoulder at the window, she screamed and said the following to me: "There she is again, just her face this time but it's on one of those sheets, she looked shocked."

In a later discussion she described the face as being somehow fused or attached to a sheet on the washing line, it was a solid pink colour, no drawings or patterns were naturally woven into it. The facial expression was wide eyed, mouth opened displaying surprise or maybe anger.

...

When I think of this story it chills me that the second apparition appeared immediately after Jess declared herself to be leaving home. The second strange thing is Jess never met this woman, and if she was protecting someone surely it would be her mother to see her and not Jess?

I don't know, what do you think?

Other hauntings by Subtle_Poetics

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Subtle_Poetics, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
I saw my grandfather after he died, he appeared to me and not my mother. I have frequent dreams of my granny (passed 20 years ago), telling me that she is always there with me and that she is protecting me.
So yes, if you ask me, perhaps her granny is there with her. She could be protecting your girlfriend's mother too, but she just can not see her...?
Ghosts is just the people they always were, just without the shell (body).
Subtle_Poetics (7 stories) (11 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-23)
taz890. That was honestly an extremely articulate suggestion, one I personally never thought of. Their family was english, Jess moved to Ireland when she was 4. They are a protestant family. In relation to the nature or beliefs of the grandmother, we do not know due to her death.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-12-22)
hi there subtle_poetics very interesting first post thanks for adding and welcome to ygs 😊
Agree with the comments about the pent up energy causing the sounds and other things, with the sky tv that could just be old batterys in the remote. Have had the same thing happen with ours when the batterys need changing the remote plays up.

Have to say I agree with teneki about the first visit from grandmother it is likely that she just wanted to let "jess" know she was there with her.
Now with the face in the sheet I take it jess is from ireland too and I know that religion is a big part of the up bringing in ireland and as soon as I read the final part I instantly thought that maybe grandma might not like the idea of her grandaughter "living in sin" with her boyfriend (no offence ment)
I knew a irish grandma when I was growing up and she was strict about boyfriends with her granddaughters none in the house ever, no private phonecalls, and staying out with them was a big no~no unless there was a ring on the finger then it was hold hands and that was it! My friend was discouraged from trying to get a good bye kiss with grandma watching every move lol
Just a thought,
Looking forward to your other posts
Enjoyed this one.
Carl
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-12-22)
Perhaps Jess should spend less time concerned with everyone else's wants, and focus more upon her own needs. Grammy would recognise the need for such, before Jess becomes a powderkeg.
Subtle_Poetics (7 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-22)
An interesting point raised by HappySpirit that perhaps the apparition was ill informed with the details of the scene. Could it be that most of the planning for the move was conducted outside of their house, so the announcement of her intent to leave in the house may have surprised the entity?

I suppose we all love to assume that spirits are omniscient. The perspective that they still host human faults really interests me.

Your views are much appreciated.

I also agree with the consensus that the poltergeist activity was a separate occurrence to the apparition.
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-22)
Maybe the initial approach was to comfort Jess so as to be a stabling influence and when she declared that she was leaving, the Grandmother was shocked that her assistance wasn't taken? Just a random feeling I had reading the account.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-21)
There appears to be a couple of things going on. First, when there's strife and anger in a house, and especially if a young, troubled teen is around (your younger sibling), poltergeist phenomenon may occur. It's basically a discharge of built up, psychic energy through sounds, movement of objects, lights and so forth. There's nothing personal about it and no ghosts involved. Second, the grandmother's appearance is probably a genuine ghost sighting. Perhaps she was drawn in order to comfort Jess. I have heard of quite a few stories where the grandparent appears to the grandchild, not their own child (the parent.) Not sure why the grandmother was upset over Jess leaving - perhaps she didn't understand the reason. Ghosts don't have the full picture. Hope this helps.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: