You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Hearing and Seeing Strange Things that Dogs also Notice

Real Ghost Stories

Hearing and Seeing Strange Things that Dogs also Notice

 

One evening when I was about 14 or 15 years old, I was doing what I normally would do when my parents went out for dinner with one another and left me at home to watch the dogs. We had two dogs, both toy poodles, which are commonly known as being noisy and annoying. Not these little guys, they were so very calm for most of their lives and only barked when something unknown to them was approaching.

I was on the computer, and talking on the phone with a friend up in Sylvan Lake whom I hadn't spoke to in a while and during the conversation, I heard something smash like glass breaking in the room I was in - this was actually while my parents were still at home. I put the phone down and ran upstairs to make sure my mother was okay in the kitchen as she had rheumatoid arthritis and fell and tripped quite easily and was unable to prevent her falls without seriously hurting herself.

he asked me what I had broken as she heard the glass shatter too - which made sense as the noise I had heard had come from the living room that I was in at the time. Even the guy on the phone had heard it, I remember him asking me what had just happened. "I don't know," this was when I put the phone down and checked with Ma. Nothing broken was found, no glass - nothing.

A couple of hours later, they went for their dinner. I was in the living room with the dogs, and I have always had a slight fear of being in such a big house by myself with so many lights out. But I was usually fine if I just closed the french doors to the living room and hung out in one spot and kept myself occupied. I was laying on the couch with the dogs cuddled next to me, when I heard something like feet moving from outside the french doors to the living room. The dogs heads both perked up to the sound of this, and this bothered me - as I was hoping it was my imagination. I still tried to convince myself of this until both of the dogs actually got up and started to sniff the underneath of the door as they were convinced something was out there.

I heard a small whimper, almost like a child whimpering. I quickly got up to move the dogs and open the door, but I could see something actually SITTING outside of the door, and almost like a white shirt. Reminding me of an infant, I panicked and couldn't bring myself to open the door at all. I called my parents to let my mother know I was freaking out and to come home right away, and they did. "We'll be about 15 minutes, just let us get things squared away here and I'll be right there, hun. It's just the dark playing tricks on you..." "Yeah, but Mom - you always told me that if the dogs couldn't notice it, it wasn't there, right?" "Right..." "They're at the &@#$ing door sniffing and whimpering, Chico's barking..." and then the dog barked, and my Mom said she'd be right there and hung up the phone.

Not even 15 minutes later my parents showed up, but as they were opening the garage door, all of the lights in the house turned on... This was before they were actually IN the house. I immediately started crying, ran to the comfort of my mother's arms, and haven't experienced anything like that since. ALTHOUGH - just shortly before my mother passed away when I was 18, she finally confessed to me that strange things were going on in our laundry room.

The dryer door would always end up being opened, and this was a brand new dryer, the thing locked itself when it started quite tight. You had to yank on it to pry it open mid-dry cycle. I remember this now as she used to come stomping down the stairs, run into the living room, scream at me for opening the dryer door, and would wander away. I never thought much of it because I just figured my mother was kooky and strange, and she was, but - heh, little did I know she was experiencing some spookiness herself.

We had a laugh over it, and then didn't experience much else after that until she died. She hung around the house for a while - every morning at 6:30 AM (which was when she woke up) you could still hear her shuffle into the kitchen from her bedroom with her slippers, opening cupboard doors to make her morning Tea. This occurred for about 6 months after she died. I took comfort in it, as I had thought it was just my mind playing tricks and missing memories, until two of my friends woke me up on different occasions to express their fear about the shuffling noise as if someone was walking around upstairs and hanging out in the kitchen.

For once something like that didn't scare me, and all I said was "don't worry, it's just Mom" and rolled over and went back to sleep.

I am curious to know if anyone might have any idea as to why these occurrences have happened. Please share your ideas.

Other hauntings by Lexiluca

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lexiluca, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
Oh, my!

The description of the figure behind your door, and especially your suggestion that it looked like a baby was enough for me to look at the direction of my door! What a dreadful experience! I, myself find it very disturbing when something takes the shape of a little child, and most of the times, the situation is threatening.

I would have to say it rings poltergeist to me, the energy was feeding off of your fear that day and you being at that age, makes the possibility stronger.

I'd also like to say, I'm very sorry for your loss. Losing a mother is one of the toughest things one has to face in their lifetime, especially at a vulnerable age.

I think the shuffling footsteps were hers and the reason behind them, well let's say she stayed around for a while to protect you as well as spend a little more time at home.

Thank you for your story.
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-12)
Animals seem to be incredibly aware with something else is around that we can't see. It's pretty interesting, I figure. I find it refreshing and intriguing to read some of the stories on here and how some experiences we've all shared are so similar. The sensation of someone sitting down on the bed, animals reacting to something that isn't there, hearing and or seeing things in a fleeting moment, orbs, etc. It's fascinating.
Astral184 (1 stories) (53 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-09)
Hello Lexiluca; first I do want to say, that
dogs are our 'best' friends, and I love
poodles in particular, but I digress.
My daughter had a similar experience with her Chow,Bear. The apt. She lived in in Queens, NY was haunted by the spirit of the
owner's husband, the Chow 'refused' to go
into a certain room of the apt. And would
sometimes 'stare' at something in a corner,
so it is not uncommon for dogs to sense these presence. I used to wake up at 5:30am
everyday for 2 weeks after my bro. Died; that is their way of saying they are ok.
I suggest you pray or as mentioned call upon
a higher power. You had a 'supernatural'
encounter, although scary, is proof that
there is more to this life then we know.
Regards,Astral184
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-08)
Dear Lexiluca,

It is good you had the experience of your mother returning to your home to check in on you and yours. She was just doing the familiar in order to let you know who it was and not to scare you. In time human beings who have crossed over do tend to check back less and less as their family goes on about the business of living their daily lives.

It is quite possible that you have a ghost also living on the premises. You may also have added to the poltergeist like activity by contributing unknowingly your own fears, anger and other emotions of energy in which the uninvited guest fed upon in order to manifest such annoying activity. Sometimes, we have much on our plates and life can be hard and harsh to swallow. It may manifest some negative energy to help another lower being also manifest. Finding one's own balance and self is important, but when one is young, it can be a frustrating and chaotic task. Finding empowered calmness and quiet will help, as well as one's own foundation and centered belief system of one's own choosing.--Abby
Qtgrly111 (2 stories) (58 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-08)
If I was in the same type of event as you I would try to talk to your mom. First ask her for a sign of her presence, preferably something harmless. If the spirit is not your mother and evil or harmful, pray to the lord to protect you and every one there.
I wish you the best of luck,

Amanda

😊
stefie83 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-07)
Lexiluca,

I'm the sister of Poltergeist at my sister's. My dog sees many things in this house and around us. Poltergeist usually don't know that their deal is over or done. If you are still experiencing stuff around your house that is very unsettling tell them to leave and call upon the higher power (if you are a christian or believe in the power of Christ) If it's a bad spirit they run at the name of Jesus Christ. If it's just annoying to you then it's just a ghost that doesn't know it has moved on. Tell them that they need to move on as their life is over in this world. If it still doesn't leave then look further into the situation such as to self healing. Your spirit guide is there to protect you and to keep you sane so ask them for help as well! Always stay positive and don't show that you're scared of them because that's what they feed off of. 😊
Mikecabre (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-07)
Hi Lexiluca, I believe that ghosts actually project themselves THROUGH us, because we are partially spirits ourselves, even dogs (a dog I had once always shied away from an old abandoned native reserve where I had lived on Mayne Island here in B.C. It usually followed me everywhere). When no one is around, they probably can't 'haunt'. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: