You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: From Ghost Cats To The House From Hell

Real Ghost Stories

From Ghost Cats To The House From Hell

 

Since I'm a newcomer I guess this will be a bit of an introduction to me and my experiences. This might end up being rather long. All my life I have seen spirits and creatures of Faerie. It was something I came to terms with years ago after my first obvious encounter.

When I was little I would always see things, but I never gave it much thought. Until the day one cat was killed. This was when I started to think maybe the things I saw weren't normal. I can't recall the exact year, I think I might have been six or seven, but at that time we still had the first cat that I was old enough to remember. He and I were the best of friends, as most little girls and their pets are. Our cats have always been indoor/outdoor cats, coming and going as they please, except at night when we keep them in.

I had a class trip the next day and it was summer, so the cats wouldn't be called in until after I had gone to bed. In the middle of the night I woke up and, as usual, my cat was asleep beside me in bed. I couldn't sleep so I turned on the light, and when I turned around again he was gone. At first I didn't think anything odd with this, especially since my door was open, so he could have just gone to eat or drink something and would be back later. Same thing when I left for school in the morning. It wasn't that odd for me not to see the cat before I left. It wasn't until I came back from the trip late in the evening that my parents told me my cat hadn't come in the night before, and he hadn't been there all day. After a few days he still didn't come home and I was still insisting that he'd been in my room.

It was at that point in time that my parents decided to tell me about our family's ability to see spirits and other creatures.

I can't remember exactly how we're related, but a female relative of mine witnessed the Wild Hunt, Odin's Host that travels across sky as a herald of disaster. Sure enough that war broke out not long after. That story still makes my hair stand on end.

Both my parents have seen ghosts more than once. My dad has premonitions, which I have had once or twice, as well as seeing and feeling things. My siblings have also had experiences with the paranormal; some that have shaken them up rather badly.

Luckily most of my experiences were rather harmless. I saw what I took to be benign fey in the woods and my first ghost would appear to be my dearly loved cat who I believe came back to say goodbye after he died. Currently my house is being guarded by the ghost of another cat who everyone in our family absolutely adored. We rescued him as a sick kitten and nursed him back to health, and he had a very happy life, living to a good old age for his breed. He had a habit of patrolling around the door the cats always used, as if he felt the need to guard his house and his humans who'd saved him as a kitten. From time to time we still see him pacing back and forth or sitting happily on the step and acknowledge him with a "good cat" from time to time. Unfortunately, not all of my encounters have been as pleasant or whimsical as a much loved pet coming back to comfort its owner.

In the Basement

The first real horrifying thing I experienced happened in the summer of sixth grade. I was invited to a sleepover at a good friend of a friend's house. The girl's parents were going out for the night, so they were glad of company for her while they were gone. Everything was fine until we went to go sleep in the guest room, which was in the basement. At first I didn't think anything of the basement being colder, it was mostly underground after all, and we were sort of glad after the hot summer day. We all slept on the same futon and I eventually drifted off. I don't know why I woke up but I remember waking up and seeing a black robed figure standing next to us. I wanted to wake the others up, ask my friend who was closest to the light switch to turn it on but I couldn't speak.

All the sudden something touched my arm under the light blanket, which scared me until I realized it was just my friend. At first I was relieved until I realized she was shaking, and in the dim light coming through the window I could tell that her eyes were stretched wide in fear and she was staring past me to where the figure was standing. The friend whose house it was, was on the other side of her and also staring. I don't know how but somehow we managed to unfreeze and get out of there. The weird part was when we talked about it the next morning we realized we'd all seen different things. I saw the black figure, one of the others had seen a monster from a book she'd read and the other a giant spider. It finally made sense, though, once we talked some more.

You see, at the time, as much as I loved the Lord of the Rings, the books and the movies, the Ring Wraiths horrified me: their voices, their appearance, their evil. Just everything about them scared me at that age. What I had seen to all appearance had been a black cloaked Ring Wraith. My friend who had seen the spider was extremely arachnophobic. Whatever was down there had tried deliberately to scare us by taking the shape of our worst fears at the time. We never figured out what it was, nor did we care to. It seemed whatever it was thought it would be a laugh to scare a group of young girls half to death since it didn't come after us thankfully, but that was something I was glad to pass on repeating or having expanded upon.

The 'Man' in the Woods

In grade 7, I had a group of friends over for my birthday. Since I lived in the country and my friends all lived in town, we decided it would be fun for me to give them a tour of our forest and teach them about some of the plants and animals we saw on the way. The forest is huge and there are a number of hiking trails going through it. As I've said, I've seen spirits in the woods from time to time, but they never really scared me or gave the impression of wanting to harm me. Twice I believe they actually protected me from harm.

On my birthday, however, my friends and I had a rather unpleasant experience. This time I was the only one who saw anything, but one of friends had complained about feeling uneasy just moments before, though at the time she tried to brush it off as just not being used to the woods, being a city girl and all, and another was cold but blamed it on the spring breeze. Unfortunately, barely two minutes later I saw a rather threatening looking man. He glared at us for a moment before saying, "What do you think you're doing here? You're not wanted here. Leave!" I nearly snapped that this was private property and he was the one who wasn't welcome before one of my friends cut me off by asking what I was staring at. Then I realized they couldn't see him, not to mention that his clothing was all wrong. At that point I panicked and told my friends to follow me before bolting back to my house.

I still go hiking in the woods, just not on that trail anymore.

Although unpleasant these two encounters weren't the worst that happened to me, but this post is already really long, and that story is long so I'm going to post it on its own.

Other hauntings by lunamaria

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lunamaria, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
Reading about that thing in the basement had me remembering Harry Potter. Thing sounded just like a boggart...should've tried laughing at it. 😜
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-30)
Great stories, lunamaria! I understand how painful it is to lose a cat and not know what happened to it. My first cat, Snow Paws, never came home one day. But I never got a spirit visit from her either; glad your kitty was able to reach out to you in that way.

Your sleepover makes me wonder about the true nature of the entity you saw. The fact that it used your fears to clothe itself in a form makes me wonder whether it might not have been a rather fear-filled little thing itself, not so scary at all, just really good with smoke and mirrors and preying upon other people's phobias.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
geetha - it's only been a few days, so you haven't missed anything LOL. And thank you ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
First of all welcome to YGS!
What you experienced was really freak and I hope you are okay with these experiences. There is a saying that what doesn't kill us will only make us stronger. I hope the experiences you have had (both the good one and bad ones) have made you stronger.

I had the same questions as Miracles, so thanks for answering them.

Miracles,
When did you become a MOD? By the way, congrats
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
lunamaria - thank you for replying to my questions. Sometimes people don't do that and it raises eyebrows about the validity of the story. In your case, though, I truly do believe you experienced the things you have written about.

The Man in the Woods... I have a thought or two, but I'm getting ready for work so I'll have to get back with you on it.

Again, thanks for answering the questions. By the way, just in case you were wondering, I didn't think you and your friends were under the influence of anything. I just wanted to get that question out of the way. 😊
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
So looks like that thing in the basement was playing on everyones utmost fear, because it appeared to everyone as something else they were afraid of...
Very strange. The man in the woods sounds like he could have died there years ago. Perhaps it was once his property and he is still trying to protect it...
I am sorry about your cat that died. I know how it feels to loose your best friend (cat). I also felt my cat with me after he died, he jumped on my feet when I was in bed, like he always did when still alive.
As for the other one that is still around the house, it is so sweet and heart breaking at the same time.
lunamaria (2 stories) (2 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-12)
Thanks for all the comments and welcomes guys

I wish there was such a simple explanation like drugs or alcohol, but unfortunately not. My friends and I are the geeky types, even now our parties mostly consist of pop and junk foods while playing video games and watching fantasy or nostalgic films/tv. We don't really have anything against alcohol, I'll have a bit of wine every now and then, but I've never been drunk, and I've never seen anything while drinking anything alcoholic. Neither I nor any of my friends do drugs.

As for the man in the forest, there are no caves or other forms of shelter around there, which would be a problem come winter. Also, before this encounter that was my favorite trail. I knew the area better than the back of my hand.Also, I hiked that trail daily, sometimes with friends or family. Not the best place for a hermit to set up camp. And he looked too well groomed for someone living in the woods. By his clothing being wrong, it sort of looked late 19th century. Also, if it had been an actual man it doesn't make sense that the five other people with me saw nothing when he was right in front of us and would have been in their field of vision.
masterthis106637 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-11)
Hey lunamaria great story by the way, and I am surprised to hear that you have seen spirits your whole life. Because I have seen spirits my whole life as well. If you want to know why please read my story called The House That Seemed To Good To Be True.
rubymay43 (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-11)
Oh my goodness that is REALLY scary! You said your family has always seen ghosts and spirits... Thats awesome! I hope your ok! God bless ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-11)
lunamaria: What creeps me out is that all of you woke at the same time, and each saw something... I think an entity has to be pretty powerful to be able to show themselves three different ways at the same time... Just downright creepy 😆...Has your friend had any other experiences?...We can't accept stories about friends' experiences, but she could submit her own account, or you could relate them here in the comments...

About your own experiences: I love it when our pets visit us, though at times I wonder if those occurances are residual in nature... I think it's possible where your sentry kitty is concerned 😊...I have the same question as Miracles about the guy in the woods and his clothing, if you could elaborate on that point...

As a side note, love the LOTR also, and have been fan for many years... I get a new collection of books every so often because I wear them out 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-11)
lunamaria - I enjoyed your story and have a couple of comments. First, ghost cats... Love 'em. I have one, although he's been kind of quiet lately. I'm glad yours continue their watch over their loved ones.

Second, the basement story. Since someone is bound to ask you, I'll go ahead and get it out of the way. Were any of you, or all of you, under the influence of anything drug or alcohol-related that night? I understand it was 6th grade, but where I come from...well, enough said.

I firmly believe there is something that can assume our worst fears and act on them. I don't know enough about it to guess what it is or where it stems from, but I do believe in it's existence. I believe it is powerful enough that your experience could have been a whole hell of a lot more traumatic than it was.

And last, the man in the woods. You said his clothing was all wrong. What exactly did you mean by that? I'm assuming time-period, but don't want to incorrectly assume. Is it possible he could just have been someone who lives in the woods, say a hermit, that you had no idea was there? It's actually amazing how people can stay hidden in a wooded area when they want to.

Just some thoughts 😊
shubham1120 (41 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-10)
Welcome to YGS!
I loved your story and willing to read more.
So keep posting them whenever you get time.
Thanks

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: