You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Uncle Bob's Light

Real Ghost Stories

Uncle Bob's Light

 

I grew up as "Daddy's Girl"! I think, because I had no mother, my dad loved and cosseted me twice as much. I never lacked for anything, least of all, love! I grew up in a house full of adults; I was a rather precocious child.

My dad worked hard, he worked as a shaft carpenter in the Kimberley diamond mines, often pulling sixteen hour shifts. Dad, being of Scottish decent, knew how to work wisely with his money. He would accumulate his leave, and his money, until 1949, when he decided to go 'oversees' for six months, taking me too.

We travelled Europe together (and the UK), taking time out to visit his brothers' grave in Italy. My eldest Uncle Bob, had been killed there during WW2 and was buried in the military cemetery in Cassino. As it was so soon after the war, there were few places to stay; most of the buildings were still piles of rubble, after the heavy bombings. We found lodgings at Albergo Excelsior in Cassino. Many people still lived in 'caves' in the hill-side, and children wearing thread-bare clothing, begged in the streets. My heart went out to them, even though I was still pretty young.

Uncle Bob's Light

My dad took many photos, (I still have a few) of the monastery; of me; the children; the war devastation, and most importantly, the grave. (To show his Mom, back home, where her eldest son was laid to rest.) All the photos developed perfectly; all except for the ones of the grave. My dad said that light must have got in, and spoiled those.

In 1953, my dad decided to take another three months 'oversees', this time, taking me and Auntie (his sister). Again, we went to visit my uncles' grave, and to take photos. My dad had given me a new camera, (a boxy little thing with two pieces of metal as a view finder,) so I was eager to take photos too. All of our photos developed perfectly, except for those of the grave. Once again, light had mysteriously got into the cameras and spoiled those particular photos. (It was like a shaft of light, emitted from the grave.)

In 1964, we again had a stab at getting a decent photo to show Granny. Dad was armed with a movie camera, and a new camera for stills! Once more, every photo of that particular grave came up with the flash of white, from the grave.

Three different years, different cameras, different times of day! How can that be explained? I am at a loss! I have no explanation!

Could it be my uncle's spirit? If so, why there? Why not at home, with his wife and children? Or, failing that, with his mom?

This has puzzled me for years. Can anybody help, please?

Other hauntings by Fergie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Italy

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
Thanks Krys, for your lovely comments, I appreciate them.
Rook is a pillar of strength; I know he always looks out for people in need of help. This site would be a poorer place, without him! ❤
The photo posted, was taken with only the children that were around, at that moment in time. There were others, that had only a tattered frock on, & obviously the only garment that they were wearing!
Thank you for the prayers for my daughter, every single one counts, and is deeply appreciated. 😐
KRYSTALLIA (64 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
Very interesting story. Also going to faves! Glad Rook could help you.
The picture is heartbreaking...
So sorry to hear about your daughter. My prayers go out to you and your family...

❤ Krys
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
Hi Anneke, I hope the next one is to your liking.
Much love to you, my friend. 😊 ❤
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-06)
Love you lots my friend. Hope to hear another interesting story from you soon.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-24)
Hi Anneke, Thank you. I hope your Uncle makes a complete recovery, I will pray for him. 😐
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement, I cherish them! Thank you for being a true friend, even when things do not go well. May God bless you and yours. ❤
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-22)
It's a beautiful picture Fergie and you were a beautiful little girl once. My uncle had kidney failure last week, both kidneys stopped working. We thought it was his last moments on earth. According to the doctor it was... The doctor said IF he makes it, he will start to learn to walk again. After 3 days in hospital, he could move his legs by himself! And with faith and prayers, he's back at home! Going for dyalisis three times a week, but he is much better. Keep on and hold on, we are still praying for you daughter. Never stop to believe in miracles!
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-15)
Hi aussiedaz, Different is good! And what do you know? Three is my favourite number. (I have three daughters.)
Yes, I do agree, three comes up an awful lot in mystic goings on, even in the bible.
It would be nice to know that Uncle Bob was there in spirit with us, seeing us place flowers on his grave, knowing that we still remembered him. As long as he was not 'lost'!
Thank you Daz, for your perspective, I really appreciate it. ❤
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-15)
Bit of a long shot Fergie, but I'll offer something different... There is no doubt in my mind that the number three is a significant number when it comes to communication from the other side... You only have to look through the hundreds and hundreds of stories here where the number three pop up's...I know with my own experience's on several occasions, three knocks is validation that someone is there?... As I read through your story three things I noticed...1949, 1953, 1964 and three times you took these photo's three times the photo's were blinded by light in the film production... I feel it's possible this was your Uncle's way to validate his presence all these years later and back then he would have been there with you in spirit no doubt, perhaps there's more to the old saying it comes in three's?... Thank you for sharing.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-14)
Rook,
Yes mu Uncle was a L/Corporal. Not too clear of the date any more; you must be right though. I don't have all the details here at my daughters' house. I still have, what I believe is, his last letter home, to his mom. I have it in a plastic folder, locked away in my wardrobe. I guess I am sentimental, even though I never knew him.
Thank you for your kind words about him, it was a noble cause. 😐
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-14)
Fergie,

The Name I focused on (Last Name) began with a P... And is listed (if you sort by Date of Death) just 2 names below a Lance Corporal whose initials are R.A.M they both passed on 12May1944. From what I see listed Private 'P' was part of the escourt to help Protect the South African Corps of Signals which your Uncle belonged too (I was so focused on the date I didn't see the Regiment/Service column).

So I did not have the right person... Though it seems I got the right 'date'.

No need for Thanks... It is your Uncle Bob who gave all he had for us all during that War who deserves Thanks.

Respectfully,

Rook
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-14)
Rook,
Thank you for all you have done. You must have guessed that my Uncle's initials were R.A.M.
Unfortunately,for some odd reason, I cannot access my mail from my daughters' computer (where I am presently staying). I am hopefully getting a 'day off' on Sunday; I will be able to read my mail then, at home.
I, like other people on thie site, trust your gut feelings. I hope my Father, his three brothers & a sister, are happily together on the other side.
Thanks once again for your hard work and effort, it is deeply appreciated. ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-14)
Granny,
Spot on! I am the one with shoes, in the photo. See behind us, the terrible devistation, wreaked by the bombardment of war.
As I stated, I have no clue as to why all the photos of the grave were spoiled; your guess is as good as anyones'.
Thank you for your comment, it is appreciated.
😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-14)
Hi Miss EV,
Yes I have heard of other instances where people have had their photo taken at a grave-side, with other-worldly images in them too. It could, very possibly be your brother, having come to comfort you.
Thank you for sharing. 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-14)
Jav,
I tried to answer you yesterday, but my 'link' wouldn't let me. Sorry about that.
It is a pitty, back in the old days, it was nor uncommon for light to get into a camera & spoil the pictures. If only we had kept those old photos, maybe they would have helped in the 'investigation'?
Yes, it is very heart-breaking to watch my baby go down hill. All I can do is to try to keep Angel as comfortable as possible. Thank you for your prayers & good wishes, they are always welcome. 😐 ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-14)
Fergie,

Hey I sent an e-mail concerning my research because I went with my gut and 'took a guess' at your Uncles full name so I am not including that information here.

I will say this. I 'feel' your Uncle has moved on, either due to the commemoration provided by the Cemetery itself or Your Father (when he passed on) went and collected him. It may have even been a combination of the two.

Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Fergie: Am I right in assuming you're the one in the pic with shoes?...How sad...It's hard to say why the pictures of your uncle's grave didn't come out...I'll go with what my gut tells me, and that is that perhaps he, or some other type of divine intervention, may have been trying to spare your grandmother the pain she surely would have experienced...

Thank you for posting! ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Fergie,
I am so sorry to hear that your youngest is suffering from cancer. My love and prayers go out to you and yours at this sad time. This is such heartbreaking news. I am so sorry. 😢

Jav
MissEmoVampire (3 stories) (25 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
I have pictures of me standing by my brother's grave and every single picture ends up there is like a figure (a light figure) standing on the grave next to me. It is quite a small figure and I wonder whether if it is my Brother or not. I believe in this story and I think spirits do like to hang in pictures of there own graves just to let you know they are ok even if you never met them

MEV x
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Thank You Rook! Yes, you are correct. I am very appreciative of your help. I have limited time on my hands, at the moment, & a dicey link to the internet.
You are my HERO! Thanks again. (I am nursing my youngest daughter, she has cancer.) 😐
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Fergie,
Wow! This is very interesting. It has always fascinated me the things that show up, or don't show up in this case, when attempting to take a simple snapshot. They say the camera doesn't lie. And in this case I would have to agree with rook. It will be interesting to see what he finds out. And hopefully a reading of the roles will do the trick. I'm going to keep my eye on this one, I am curious to see how this shakes out.

Jav ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Fergie,

You are speaking of the Monte Cassino War Cemetery are you not. Let me do a bit of research, I'll get back to you.

Respectfully,

Rook
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Rook, Now you are asking me difficult questions! I have no idea, if any of this is/has been done. I have no-one to ask. I am one of the 'elders' in the family now. I am almost sure, neither of Uncle Bob's children would know (or even care). They were so little when their dad was killed.
The only person that used to tend the grave, was a waiter at that time, back in '49. My dad befriended him while we were staying at the Albergo. He promised to do that for my dad: in return, dad used to send parcels of clothes over to Vinccenso's family.
I do know that here in South Africa, on the 11/11 every year, wreathes are laid at memorials. If a role of honour is called out... I certainly don't think so.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Fergie,

Wow that makes things a bit difficult to have a family relation doing it. Do you know if they do commemoration ceremonies at that cemetery?

If not a 'reading of the roles' (a list of all of the individuals killed in battle that are interred there) and the playing of Taps/laying of a wreath/placement of flags (country) on each grave. Something like that may do the 'trick'. That is if it hasn't been done before.

Respectfully,

Rook
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Hi Rook, Thank you for your reply. Yes, he was killed in battle; he was in the signalers, they were far ahead of the last reported position, not having time to give their exact location. They were then bombed, from the air, by allied forces.
Unfortunately, by dad passed on many years ago, so did Uncle Bob's wife & Granny. Only 2 of Uncle Bob's children survive. I have lost touch with them in recent years, so I don't know if either one of them would be able to go over to Italy. 🤔
Nice thought though! For someone to go to the grave & inform Uncle Bob of his demise. Only problem is, who?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Fergie,

I'll hazard a guess. If he was killed in battle he may not understand he has passed on and is hanging onto the one thing he finds familiar, his 'remains'.

It's a guess, but if Your Father were to visit the grave again and 'talk' to his brother...explain...that he was Killed in Battle and that it's time to pass on... Then take a photo... He may get the picture he's been trying to get over the years. If he is unable to do it then the next closest relative should make this attempt.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: