You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My First Haunted House Experience

Real Ghost Stories

My First Haunted House Experience

 

A few years ago, at the age of 21, I moved out of my parents' house and in with an aunt of mine. She lived in a more rural area than what I was accustomed to. I'm not sure how old the house was but it definitely had to be over 30 years old. It was large, 4 bed, 2.5 bath town house right across from a cherry farm.

I landed myself an overnight job working at a convenience store almost immediately after moving in. My schedule was usually 11 pm to 7 o'clock in the morning, 5 days a week. When I worked, everyone else in the house slept and when I was home sleeping everyone was either at work or in school. So, needless to say, I spent a lot of my time alone, bidding my time and trying to save up cash so I could stop being a burden on my aunt. Nobody mentioned to me that the house may be haunted, maybe they didn't know. I'm not too sure but I ended up figuring it out for myself.

It all started probably a few weeks after I moved in. I just got home from work and everyone had already headed off to work/school/day-care (my older sister also lived with my aunt, her family and myself. She has very young children). I was all alone but didn't feel tired enough to lay down so I settled myself in front of the computer in the living room and played video games. At the angle the computer was at in the living room I could see the front door. After about an hour of gaming I heard something that made me jump out of my chair. It sounded like a grown man running through the kitchen (which was adjacent from the living room) and I heard a crash as something apparently fell and hit the kitchen floor. After my heart stopped pounding I went to investigate. The coffee pot was on the floor. I know nobody came in through the front door because I would've seen them. And nobody definitely came in from the back door because there were heavy boxes piled in front of it (I checked to make sure) I called out and asked if anyone was home. Nobody answered... I was alone. I chalked it up to me just being exhausted from work and I went to bed. I never told anyone I lived with what happened.

Several weeks after the first incident I was still living with my aunt and still stuck on the graveyard shift. This second incident starts with me waking up at 10pm and preparing to go to work. I headed out of my bedroom and crossed the hall to the bathroom, but to my dismay somebody was already occupying it. I could see the light on underneath the closed door. I huffed and went back into my room to lay out my clothes. After a few minutes I left my room again but the bathroom was still occupied. I checked my phone, and noticed I had to start getting ready as soon as possible to avoid being late. This may sound strange but I placed my ear up against the door, I don't know why but it seemed like a good idea. What I heard was very bizarre. I heard sweeping... As if somebody was sweeping a stone or wooden floor with a straw broom. Swish...swish...swish...I stood there, mesmerized... Who would be sweeping at this time at night? I knew my aunt had a maid who came by during the day so I know for sure her or her family wouldn't have to lift a finger else wise. I hesitated, and then knocked. 'Hey, sorry to bother you but I need to shower before I leave for work' I said into the door. The sweeping stopped abruptly. I opened the door. Nobody was there. But what made me really uneasy was that I forgot my aunt had that bathroom carpeted. Nothing to sweep.

Now, this next 'incident' seems incredibly bizarre and unlikely. Everyone I've told (except the person who experienced it with me) didn't believe it. I'm hoping at least one person who reads this can see my plea for an understanding. Please keep an open mind...

Now, about a month after the late night sweeping ghost (too bad it never felt the need to clean my room, too) I was folding cloths with my sister in her room. By this time I had already told my sister my experiences. She said she had similar experiences but she was too scared to talk about them. She tried brushing it all off as just being weary and tired from work and being around little ones.

It was just the two of us in the house; everyone else was working/at school and her children were in day care so my sister could have the afternoon off to do her chores. So were sitting on the floor, folding her kids clothes and chatting about nonsense. All of a sudden we stopped and slowly looked at each other. I could tell by her wide, glassy eyes that she was hearing exactly what I was hearing. It sounded like... A party coming from the downstairs level (we were on the top floor) we heard music, laughing, people chatting and glasses clinking as if people were giving toasts. The volume of the noise got louder and louder. The laughing and the music... It sounded like music from the '20's or '30's. The strangest part is... Everything we heard was slightly muffled and crackling as if it were sounds coming from a memory. I know it's kind of hard to imagine. But I can still remember it to this day.

So, as the 'party' continued on downstairs my sister and I still stared at each other bewildered and scared. The blood soared through my veins and pounded in my ear drums. All of a sudden, over the blaring music, we heard stomping coming up the stairs, slow and heavy stomping. Not angry stomping, it just sounded like a very heavy man coming up the stairs. Everyone who lived at my aunts' house was female besides my uncle. But my uncle recently had a stroke and could no longer climb stairs. The heavy footsteps reached the top of the staircase and started coming straight for the closed door me and my sister were behind. My heart almost gave out because it was pounding so hard from fear. Than out of nowhere I jumped up out of reflex and threw the door open. Nobody was there. The music and laughing and partying sounds immediately died out. It was so silent you could hear a pin drop onto pillow. The only thing I could hear was the sound of my heart slamming against my ribcage. We went through the house after that... We were completely alone.

The same day I decided to approach my aunt. I asked her if anyone possibly died in the house. She looked at me, slightly stunned but then told me that years ago, her mother died in the house. She looked sad as she told the story, saying that the night she passed she was acting delirious. I asked my aunt what she meant by delirious. My aunt said that hours before she passed she kept telling her to tell whomever was having the 'party' to keep it down and to tell that man to stop 'stomping' up and down the stairs. My aunt swore she didn't hear either. But I knew the truth. I knew her mother really heard what I just heard earlier that day.

I moved out shortly afterwards into my own place. Thankfully, there haven't been any unwelcome party guests.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, drkn56n, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-30)
drkn56n: This a great account and well written I might add, I could feel your fear whilst you were explaining it all, well done.
As my friends Javelina and Taz have already mentioned looking further in to the homes history could shed some light on the residual hauntings that are occuring within you Aunties home. Good luck! 😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
RLA15 (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-28)
This is really scary and yeah I believe you. I'm very glad you move out.
ILee (1 stories) (91 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-27)
Hey drkn56n, sounds like you have a residual haunting since it's the same occurrences that your aunt's mother heard years ago. Her account of hearing the same heavy footsteps up the stairs and noisy party downstairs verifies what you heard! How fascinating... Thanks for sharing 😁
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-26)
drkn56n,
I agree with taz on this. Check into the history of the area at the local Historical Society and library. Also, it wouldn't hurt to as the owners of the cherry farm across the road. You might get some interesting information there as well.
Thank you for sharing,
Jav
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-26)
hi drkn56n have to say I really enjoyed reading this post thanks for sharing.
Have you thought about looking into what might have been on the plot where your aunts house is now?
With you saying the house is over 30 years old but the party you and your sister heard sounded like it was in the 20s or 30s did make me wonder if ther had been a house there before your aunts, and yes I am saying I do believe you heard this happen plus you say your aunts mother (your grandmother) heard it too
Even though your aunt did not.
Try local history on the internet.
Good luck with it if you do try
Taz

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: