You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Grandparents' Basement

Real Ghost Stories

My Grandparents' Basement

 

This experience happened when I was about 8. My whole family was at my grandparents' house it was Thanksgiving. Normaly I slept on a pull out in the back room with my mother, but with the whole family there my mother and I ended up sleeping in the bedroom in the basement.

My grandparents have 13 grand children total and I am the oldest girl, there are eight boys older and one younger. The next girl didn't come along until I was 5 and she lived across the street from my grandparents. So I was the only little girl in the house that night. All of the boys my two older brothers and three of my cousins were sleeping in the living room.

I know that I have mentioned (in posts) that I have a thing about basements and it stems from this basement. For some reason I would always hurry down the stairs I didn't like to be ON them. The corner under them always made me uncomfortable because of the dark shape that paced back and forth there day or night. When you came down the stairs the washer and dryer were in the farthest front corner and the corner oposite that was where my grandpa had built another room approx. 8 feet by 12 feet and the door was actually those saloon type doors from the old west.

On several occasions I would come down the stairs and see someone peeking out those doors and the instant I saw them the doors would swing like someone had just let go of them. The thing that scared me was that though I could see a face I never saw their feet and I would go and look in the room because I always thought that I'd find one of my brothers or cousins; the room was always empty.

So I was scared when I heard that Mom and I would be sleeping in there but I knew that with Mom there I'd be okay. So we had all gone to bed and I woke up and the doors to the room were swinging. Now so you understand I am a very heavy sleeper or was until my daughter was born. Normally it had to be something loud or someone shaking me to wake me up. I ignored it rolled over and tried to go back to sleep.

As I laid there I tried not to think about how bad I needed to pee because I really didn't want to have to go near the stairs in the dark. The only light switch that turned the lights on in the basement were at the top of the stairs and grandma had shut them off when we went to bed. So I laid there as long as I could trying to fall back to sleep. Instead the urge to pee overwhelmed me and I knew that I was going to have to dash for the stairs. So I screwed up my courage and ran for it. As I reached the stairs I looked back and saw a man standing at the doors to the bedroom and he turned and walked in as I raced up the stairs. Now my mother is a very light sleeper and I do not understand how she did not hear me running up the stairs. They creaked really bad.

Once up the stairs I went to the bathroom and as I went back to the basement stairs my Uncle, who was sleeping on the pullout I was normally on, asked me what I was doing. I told him that I had needed to use the bathroom. He said okay and went back to sleep. I looked down the stairs dreading the trip back into the basement. I closed my eyes for a second and took a deep breath to screw my courage back up.

When I opened my eyes there was a little girl standing at the bottom of the stairs. She had shoulder length black hair an older fashoned nightgown. I remember it had a high neckline, and she had these piercing green eyes. I remember hearing her speak though looking back her lips never moved. She told me not to come down there because they were after me and if they caught me like they had caught her that I would regret it. The shadow that I had always seen in the corner flew toward her and seemed to swollow her up in what had to have been the blink of an eye she was gone and that shadow stood in her place beckoning me down the stairs.

I was so scared but I knew that I couldn't turn my back on it so I moved back and to the side to where I was out of his line of sight before I ran for my grandfather's room. Once I was inside I closed the door and climbed into bed with him and pulled the covers over my head. I laid there for a long time until he turned over and realised that I was there. He asked me if I was okay and I told him that I had needed to go to the bathroom and and didn't want to go all the way back down stairs. He told me that I could stay with him and wrapped his arm around me. I laid my head on his shoulder and within moments was sound asleep.

Mom asked me the next morning why I wasn't in bed and Grandpa said that he's heard me in the bathroom and when I came out he'd told me that I could stay up there with him. My uncle backed that when he said that he had seen me at the top of the stairs and I had said something about the bathroom. I never stayed in that room again. The couple times that it had been brought up my grandfather came up with a reason for me not to.

I never did have the oppertunity to check into the house and property that my grandparents had owned. So maybe when I go up this summer to try to help Amy and Robert, I'll get the chance. I'll up date if I find out anything.

Sorry it's so long. Thank you for reading about my experience.

Other hauntings by tempestmoong

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tempestmoong, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

i_am_unknown (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-22)
Rook has a point, if you were afraid, while heading up for restroom and down, did you turn on the lights at all? You never mention that in the story
tempestmoong (3 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
As for the questions about my Grandfather, I don't know if he had experiences.

He was a very quiet person who was never much of a talker.

But I will say this the only time I ever remember my grandfather even being in the basement was when he built the room and that was because my grandmother had insisted that they needed another bedroom for when we all came to visit.

Never before and never again in all the time that I spent there until the day that he died did I ever see or even hear of him going down there.
tempestmoong (3 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Hey guys sorry I haven't been here to answer everyone my computer crashed and I had to send it to my guy to be fixed.

Okay now to the questions Reneespring I just reread this and realized that I left something out that seemed unimportant but now I see that it is.

At thetop of the stairs is the kitchen and there are two windows one that faces the basement stairs and one on the back wall.

The basement it's self has six windows about afoot wide and two feet long and the only one that was covered was the one in the actual room where we were sleeping.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-01)
I hate basements! I don't have a clue as to what you saw or experienced down there. I only know that I wouldn't have gone back either.

Jav
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
I have heard that stairs attract ghosts because they are liminal, or transitional, spaces - neither here nor there, but between two places. Sort of like ghosts, I guess. It may be that the stairs, rather than the room, were the focal point of this activity. The girl may have been lying to you about the room. Perhaps she was just warning you to stay off the stairs. The lurking shadow under the stairwell kind of reminds me of the ogre under the bridge, another liminal space that is traditionally said to be haunted.
Andrea22 (5 stories) (65 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
Wow!That's pretty scary. I probably would have died of a heart attack if I saw that in a basement. When I was a child I was terrified of basements. We lived in a house that was built in the 1940's.By then, in the 1990's,I guess it was about 50 years old. It was dark and creepy... So it wasn't hard to understand why a kid would be afraid. But it turned out that we seemed to have a good spirit, rather than a creepy one, down there. My sister, who was an infant at the time, slipped away from my mother and fell down at least 20 concrete basement steps! She didn't have any injury except for some blood around the mouth. But her head wasn't injured or anything major.I've always wondered if there some spirit guiding her to a softer fall. She couldn't even walk yet, and she was in a little seat with wheels, so I find it very hard to believe she saved herself!Idk...there's some weird stuff out there!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
tempestmoong,

Curious 'experience'.

You mentioned that the lights were out and the only switch was at the top of the stairs to the basement... So I have to ask this. Where was the light coming from that allowed you to see the 'man', as you ran, standing at the bedroom entrance? (I believe you also stated you saw him walk into the bedroom)

The same thing applies for your attempted return trip, where was the light source that allowed you to see this little girl and the shadow that swallowed her up?

I understand seeing shadow shapes in the dark... The shape is darker than the... Well for lack of a better word... The dark that surrounds it. I've seen shapes like this so I know that it's possible. But you describe a young girl, about the same age as you? Dark Hair, Old (er) style nightgown with "piercing green eyes".

I may seem a bit picky, perhaps I am being just that, but something is nagging at me, I just can't quite put my finger on it.

I also echo the question about asking your Grandfather about the home, or talking to him about any odd things that he may have experienced there.

Respectfully,

Rook
Cristos0907 (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
I think I would be afraid of basements to if I'd seen what you did. It's nice to hear that your grandpa made sure you didn't have to stay down there again. I was just wondering if you think hes experienced anything in the basement? Had any of the other kids seen what you saw? Were any of the other kids afraid of the basement?
Thanks for sharing.

Cristos
LydiaJoi10 (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
Nice story, quite scary, especially the part about the shadow that paced back and forth in one of the corners. And the little girl spirit being overtaken by this menacing black shadow. Reminds me of the last remake of the Amityville Horror. When that ghost of the lil girl name Jody or Judy, I believe was being supressed by a more aggressive and powerful ghost.

I swear this pacing must be a common practice amongst these dark shadowy figures. There is one that seems to dance around in the bedroom at my boyfriend's house. It would keep me up for most of the night, just watching the darn thing. Now when I stay the night I stay in my daughter's room with her or the guest room, this seems to offend him but I tell him if he was to see what I have seen he would not want to sleep in his own room either. He would then just tell me not to bring my lil friends over with me.

To touch on what Elle meantioned, your Grandfather does seem to know more than what he's letting on, besides the fact you are afraid of a basement. I'll bet money he has seen things or have had his own experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Lydia Joi
Elle0309 (2 stories) (39 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
One of the best stories I've read. Did you ever ask your Grandpa
About what happened? He obviously knew you were afraid of the
Basement, but most kids are. Just wondered if he ever mentioned
Experiences of his own.
reneespring (148 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
How did you see that her eyes were green in the dark and from so far away? Unless they were glowing like a cats.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: