You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Angel's House

Real Ghost Stories

Angel's House

 

I think I should get this in print, before I forget! My short-term memory is getting worse. I really should keep a diary, as many have suggested; sometimes though, things happen at awkward times.

The last week, I spent at our youngest daughter Angel's home, situated to the south of Johannesburg. We had spent Sunday 13 May, Mother's Day, with our eldest daughter, Nicky who lives to the north of Johannesburg. (Had a great time, and got spoiled rotten!) I rode home with Angel and her young daughter, Shenay. We left my hubby to find his own way home to our house in Randfontein.

Now, when I stay at Angel's house, I am always given Shenay's bedroom to sleep in. Small problem though; Shenay has two hamsters. As most will know, hamsters are nocturnal creatures; and I am a light sleeper. When bedtime arrived, Angel, very considerately, removed the hamster cage from the bedroom. She put the cage on top of the bar, two rooms away.

I settled into bed and read my book for a bit, then switched off the bed-side light, preparing to sleep. I am never one to fall asleep immediately, it always takes me while. As I was lying there, trying to clear my mind, I was jolted back to full awareness, by light scratching noises. I lay there in the darkness, listening intently! The sound was coming from the chest-of-drawers, on which the hamster cage usually sits. Now, I was wondering, did I actually see Angel remove the hamster cage? Yes! I am sure I did! But the scratching and scuffling continues. I am so confused by this time that I simply HAVE TO switch on the light, to have a look. Guess what? As soon as the light went on, the noise stopped. I switched off the light again, and went to sleep. No more scratching for the rest of the week.

In the early hours of Friday morning (it was still dark), I awoke to the sound of my bedroom door opening. I then heard the "click" of foot bones, as someone walked over the carpet. No light was switched on, so I presumed that it was either my daughter, or grand-daughter, fetching something. (This wouldn't be the first time that it had happened.) And they didn't need the light. I lay there, snuggled down in the duvet, knowing that if there was something wrong, they would call me. Nothing happened! I heard no more movement, and I didn't bother to look. I didn't hear the door close either.

When daylight came, I peered over the bed-clothes, to see the door shut. Later that morning, when Shenay was safely off to school, I asked Angel if she or Shenay had come into my room that night/morning. I got a puzzled look, and a "No, why?" answer. I brushed it off as, "No, nothing... I must have been dreaming." But I know that I wasn't dreaming! I lay awake until dawn after that. I know that Angel would have a conniption if she thought that there was "something" in her house! So, I kept my own council.

That night, I was having a last smoke before going to bed. I always smoke at the security gate, with the front door closed; there is about 6 ft between the two. It was somewhere around 9:30 pm, and all was very quiet in the complex, not even a barking dog. I could hear the traffic on the highway, humming away in the distance.

As I stood, blowing smoke rings, I noticed Jan (the dog) lift her head, to look down the road. She didn't get up, only cocked her head. I knew that something was "up" by her attitude. As I listened, I hear the sound of tyres, moving slowly, over the pitted surface of the badly kept road in front of the house. Both Jan and I followed the sound as it passed the house - not a thing to be seen! It sounded exactly like a car's tyres rolling by, but no sound of a motor! That was really weird!

I went to bed that night wondering, "What the heck was that!"

Is there anybody out there that may have any suggestions? Your comments are welcome.

Thank you for reading my experiences at Angel's house.

Other hauntings by Fergie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Dear Ari,
We all have a life to live, and YGS is not the center of the universe: no need to apologize for a 'late reply'.

Actually, I love it - if some of the things that happen around our lives, can be debunked. Not everything 'strange' has to be paranormal!

A few months back, I swore that I heard "heavy footsteps" walk past our back door. Only very recently, I discovered that the sound was made by our dog - scratching up dirt, to find a cooler/more comfortable spot to lie, outside the back door.

I must admit, that at the time, I was quite 'spooked', and even entered it in my journal! So, you see, sometimes it takes time to find 'solutions' to our 'activity'.
😊

Thanks again Ari, common sense does prevail - sometimes!
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-05)
Dear Fergie,
Sorry for the late reply and thank you for being so kind...
I concur with your idea that there might have been termites in the skirting boards.
Nice to know you too tend to rule out normal causes first. 🤔

Thanks
Regards
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-01)
Dear Ari,

Thank you for your interesting anecdote. I agree, some insects can make very 'interesting' and misleading sounds. A few summers ago, there was an insect out the back of Angel's house, that made a noise like a 'sonic beep'. It took me nearly all summer to figure it out!

Ari, I think there has been a small misunderstanding; I said that the termites were not in the chest of drawers. In the 'older' houses, here in South Africa, we have wooden strips all around the bottom of the walls - these we call skirting-board. The scratching sounds could have been coming from the skirting-board, which was behind the chest of drawers - maybe 'amplified' by the hollows in it.

So, you see, your suggestion makes perfect sense!

By the way, I don't mind in the least, if you 'take up' my time or my page. 😊 You are more than welcome!
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-31)
Dear Fergie,
If it was not termites, then I am at my wit's end.

As for myself, when I hear any unnerving sound coming from somewhere, I go searching, and until date I have concluded most investigations successfully.

For example, one summer evening I was alone at my home and I heard a sound which can only be described as someone walking wearing a traditional Indian anklet. Now, all over India, in every nook and corner you'll find a tale involving a lady ghost wearing an anklet and the haunting begins with the tinkling of the anklets. So I started getting scared. Thus, to allay my fears I followed the direction of the sound. It seemed to come from inside my compound wall and just outside my house, but I don't see anyone there and even the sound stopped.
As soon as I got inside again, it began, just like before.
This time, almost chanting God's name, I went a little further into my garden, almost tip-toeing. What do I find out! A bug, in a shrub, emitting the tinkling of anklets! I slap myself for getting scared!
😉

Yet, I do not say that this has to be the case everywhere or every time.

Thanks for reading
Sorry for taking up so much of your page and time...
Regards
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-31)
Dear Ari,
Thank you for the condolences, and your consideration for my feelings... Yes, my heart is still raw. 😢

The point that you have raised, about the scratching noises, is a very valid one. I never gave that a thought! It is quite possible that there may have been termites in the skirting-board of the room. It may have been c0incidence that I only heard it that one night, and never again. I must add then, that there was no sign of termites in the chest of drawers, when we removed it, to our eldest daughter's home.

Thank you Ari, for your logical insight. It is always good to hear fresh ideas. 😁
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-31)
Dear Fergie,
As I go through your stories one by one, I come to this story. I read it and as is my habit I start reading the comments. Thank God I did.
I am so sorry for your loss Fergie, but I don't want you to cry now. Please don't!

If you want an explanation about the experiences, I may suggest one.
The scratching noise in the chest of drawers which ceased when you put the lights on, might have been caused by termites. I can say this because I have heard these scratching noises personally and was terrified of these as a child.
For the other events, I am at a loss, because I am neither experienced enough nor adequately equipped to even try and explain those.

Thanks
Regards
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Hi Buster 27, thank you for your interesting in-put. The theory that you put forward, is really fascinating!

Wow! The story from your mom and her siblings is awesome! Seeing a Model-T Ford, in itself, would be exciting, not to mention it disappearing!

Thank you buster, for taking the time to read my accounts, and to post on them.
buster27 (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Hi Fergie. Very interesting story. Concerning the second part of your story, hearing tires moving over the pitted surface, there is a theory. The theory also relates to your story where you followed the light on the road (Disco story) which you could not catch. It is thought that all events which transpire leave a mark, or footprint, in time. Anything which happens in time is recorded. At times, past, present or future mingle and the recording is "played" for someone who wasn't there to witness the event. For many years, my mother and her siblings would recount a tale of how, when they were children, they chased a Model-T Ford down a dirt road. This happened in the Southern United States. Chasing a car down a road isn't any big deal accept for the fact that the car appeared to be about two feet in size! I "interviewed" my aunts and uncles independently about the event. I asked about strange occurrences in their childhood, and everyone told the same story. They saw the car coming up the road and gave chase. There were even people inside! At one point, the car stopped and a man got out to crank the engine. No matter how fast they ran, they were always the same distance from the vehicle. After the car started again, it turned off the road and vanished under a house. Their experience was visual without any auditory. Yours was auditory without visuals. What were you experiencing? We don't know for certain, but the fact is that you and the dog did experience something.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Thank you Beautifuleden, for your lovely comment. I also appreciate the condolences for my daughter. I had a strange dream about her, a week or so ago.
In the dream, I was standing at the head of a bed, on which she was laying; they were taking blood from her. The nurse commented that they now had their sample of O+ blood, (Her blood used to be B+, but with all the blood transfusions that she received, it could have changed) they just needed a sample of B+. I volunteered my blood, as I am B+, I used to be a blood donor.
Strange dream eh?
Anyway, thanks a stack for your for reading, and leaving such a lovely comment.
beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Hi Fergie, I just want to say I absolutely LOVE reading your stories as a fellow south african, it is awesome to hear your "south african slang"... Sorry to hear about your daughter's passing ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-30)
Anneke my maatjie, so good to see you on YGS again 😁
It is strange to hear scratching noises, right there with you in the room; only to find out that it is a phantom noise! As for something running over your foot...EEK!
Aah! Yes Anneke, you know more than our friends here on YGS! 😉 I have written up the account of what happened on my husband's birthday, to post along with a whole lot of other things; but, at a later date.
Thank you so much for your comment my friend. ❤ you stacks too!
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-29)
Hello maatjie
In the past I also heard noises in a bedroom that sounded like a mouse is scratching desperately against something, but when I put on the light, there is nothing and NO sound! I don't know what it was or why, but it gave me creeps. It was in my fiance's parents house, the one I already wrote about on this site - the very old house. Well, one day I was standing in front of the mirror in the same room, blow drying my hair, when I felt something like a very big rat running over my one foot. I screamed and immediately looked, but there was NOTHING there... I am not afraid of mice and rats, etc. But I screamed because this thing really felt creepy. Oraait, I can't remember that I ever heard a car pass me by that I could not see, but who knows... 🤔 You must tell our friends from YGS about what happened on your husband's birthday, don't forget. Love you lots ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
Hi Jabba,
I am stunned! I really don't quite know what to say!
I think, that is one of the biggest compliments I have ever got.
Thank you so much for reading and your lavish compliment.

By the way, welcome to our world ~ YGS 😊

PS: I will have to get a bigger pillow! (for my swollen head)
Jabbajones (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
Hi, Fergie!
I simply wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your story. I am new to this site, and read all of your stories one after the next. What a pleasant way to spend an afternoon! Thank you.

Jabba
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Fergie - I will just consider myself kissed LOL 😆. I love it! And yes ma'am, I think you have progressed. 😆
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Oh Miracles, WOW! Thank you so much for that! I am absolutely stunned! It is really True? Have I progressed? Whoooopeee!

Thank you so much Miracles!

Where is the emoticon for a big Kiss?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Fergie - I just received geetha's permission to let you know you are correct in your "hunch" about the spectacles 😊.

Although I've never met geetha in person, I just do not see her as the type of person to post a picture of someone else and claim it to be herself. 😉

Don't you love when a hunch is confirmed? 😆
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Thanks Lilady for finding my story interesting. 😊
I really think you are right about the hamsters leaving residual energy. If there had been mice in the house, I would surely have heard the scratching again?
😕
The rest of the noises? They are still a mystery to me! I have thought about it so much, but I still can't come up with a conclusive answer, for myself! 😢
Thank you for your comment, I really value everyone's input!
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Interesting story here, Fergie. I was thinking as I was reading the story, that the Hamsters might have left some kind of residual energy that created the noise. But, I can't figure out the dog and you both hearing the same thing and following it with your eyes. That is really interesting. I'm having to agree with Miracles on this one.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
MizM, thank you for your input. It is scary to think that I may have heard preparations to take my Angel home! At that stage, we had no idea, that something so life-changing, was that close. Angel was still walking around, chatting, cooking etc. Okay, she did get tired very quickly and had to go on her oxygen. But she was still in good spirits! How quickly things can change!?
😕
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
I to believe that they were preparing to take your Angel home. As far as Mrfear saying that cars don't become spirits... No they don't, but sometimes spirits will create a sound that is familiar to you, and one that won't alarm you to much. I have heard a bugle, a car horn, cats purring and even the Newhart show.
I am still learning along this path of being an empath, so I don't really have much to add that hasn't been said. I hope as times goes by, Shenay can bring you back to a new normal.:)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Fergie - LOL, I can honestly say over the last few years I've been called many things, but a "star" isn't one of them. Thank you for that compliment. I really do appreciate it.

Like you, I like to know if I'm right about something. Sometimes I'm not and that's okay. It's all part of the growing process. BTW, before you misunderstand, that has nothing to do with your question about geetha, okay?

Imposing? Never! This is me getting a chance to bore someone else with my experiences 😆

And thank you so much for your kind words. I may joke, a lot, but I really do take them to heart and they mean the world to me ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Miracles, has anyone ever told you... You are a star?
Here you are, a lady with a job; home and kids to see to, as well as having the mammoth task of being a Mod; and you still offer to help me out with a 'hunch'!? You are one remarkable lady!
You may shoot me an e-mail whenever you choose, or have time for it! I feel that I am now imposing on you. Please, do NOT feel obligated!

I get your point about geetha, and I quite understand about your hesitancy to reply. In fact, I applaud you!
Thank you for your time and trouble,
Sincerely,
Fergie
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Jav...you're ramblin'? Nah! Ramble on girl! If you're rambling, I will be interested for ages. You always make great comments!

Humm! No tracks eh? Then I agree, definitely a residual!
I am wondering if my experience was also residual, or as Miracles suggested, someone coming to wait? I am really 'on the fence' about that!

About the 'smack yourself on the head moments'; I had one of those when I read "It", by Miracles. It is good to get a 'wake-up call', every now and again!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Fergie - LOL you are not wasting my time ❤. If it takes me forever to get back to you it's because I'm either busy or between work and home.

There have been many times I've been sitting at home, or work, and been caught completely off guard by sadness. Not knowing who it is or where it's coming from, why I'm crying but knowing the feelings aren't mine. I'd submit these stories but this isn't the site for them and I really didn't like the other site when I was on there. It made me feel...well, icky actually 😢. If you're interested, I can send you an email sometime.

About geetha, I assume you are looking for validation, right? I could tell you, but that wouldn't really be validating what you see. All that would be is me telling you something. I think you would believe me, but I'd much rather she tell you herself because then you would have complete validation. I've sent her a message. If she doesn't get it soon, I'll tell you 😉 and hopefully she'll be okay with me giving out personal information. I realize it's only about spectacles, but it's still personal informational.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Wow Miracles! I have never had empathy explained, like that, to me before. That sounds pretty awesome/scary to me. It must, sometimes, take a huge toll on you huh?
I sometimes, get 'pictures' of someone, when I read their accounts. I may be totally off base! By the way, do you know if Geetha wears spectacles? Sorry, as I said, I may be totally off base, but it would be interesting to know.
I am sorry, if I am wasting your time, just tell me to shove off, and I will.
Sincerely,
Fergie
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Fergie,
There were no tracks in the snow, I asked him that same question when he told me about it. 😊 However, he heard the sound of gravel, not snow, under the tires. That was what made him pay such close attention to it, the sound was so close, that he was waiting to smell the exhaust. But it never came...
What always strikes me when reading through others experiences, is when I find something that I also experienced and had nearly forgotten about altogether. I get that smack myself in the forehead moment, you know?

Jav ❤

~Geez... I hope I am not just rambling here~
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Amit...Dear Amit... You are like a coconut! Tough as anything, on the outside... All good, on the inside!

Thank you, my friend, for your comment. 😉
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Thank you Shellzy for the compliments.

The hamsters could possibly have left residual energy; they are such 'busy' little nocturnal creatures. What with running in their exercise wheels & through their 'tunnels', they exhaust me just watching them!
😆

I agree, a vehicle moving over a pitted surface does make a distinctive sound. So creepy not to have a visual to go with the sound.
😨

Thanks for your post Shellzy, I am happy that you think my experiences are a good read. ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Jav my friend, thank you for your kindness, you are always so sweet to me. Sorry that I didn't answer you yesterday, but I was just too physically & emotionally drained. I think I over estimated my own strength, when I posted this. My nerve ends are still very raw!
Thank you for your prayers. Yes, in time, I shall post the account of 'That Night' and the strange happenings! But not quite yet!

How strange Jav, that you had a similar account with phantom vehicle. In snow you say? Did it leave any tracks?
I only had a large dog as witness, & she seemed as puzzled as I was! The 'jury' is still out on that one!

Thanks again Jav, for reading & your comment. You know I always look forward to your input. ❤

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: