You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Woods By The Road

Real Ghost Stories

The Woods By The Road

 

This is the first post I am about to submit in a long time, I believe I had mentioned before that my friends and I are really into ghost hunting.

The events that took place sometime in August of the previous year put us off ghost hunting for some time. Since we began anew last month, I figured I should post my last experience on the site.

It began with a sleepover at my place, there were four of us, including yours truly. It was around 1 in the morning when we decided to finally go to sleep when someone brought out the topic of our obsession with the supernatural. So my friends suggested that we should go out to one of the places where we had had an actual paranormal experience.

My friend (her name is Vidya) jumped at the idea and she said that while we hadn't been to the place in question before, she knew for a fact that it was a hot spot for supernatural occurrences. The place we were talking about was a stretch of road surrounded by woods (the woods are what's haunted). It was about a good hour and half drive away from my place but we figured it would be good fun and it would be capital if we had a scrape with someone (something) from the other side.

We drank some coffee, grabbed flashlights, some medical supplies along with some rations and we set off. It had been raining hard all night and the roads were slick, but it being the dead of the night, we made good time.

As I said before it had been raining and thus the cloud cover made it much darker than I am comfortable with. We parked the car on the side of the road and we went into the woods. I was glad of my flashlight and my waterproof coat. After a while I asked Vidya where she intended to take us, she said she knew where we were and it wouldn't be long. I was very surprised that she knew the way with such accuracy. The atmosphere had turned a bit frightening, what with the rain, the crickets and the darkness. Even the guys started getting apprehensive and started making nervous jokes.

Vidya kept on walking, almost mechanically and announced that we were there. That was the moment when I knew something was wrong, because at that moment in the darkness of the woods I noted for the first time that human beings have a certain cadence to their speech. Even though the speaker is monotonous, there is a certain rhythm with which they speak. Vidya's voice sounded unnatural. It was the single most hair-raising experience I have ever had. We found ourselves in a clearing, in the middle of the woods with a friend who was possessed (positively), to say our situation looked daunting would be a euphemism.

I looked at my other friends and one look was enough to tell me that they were frightened. I asked Vidya what it was that she wanted us to see and she just kept on looking at us, her face was devoid of blood and her pallor was exaggerated by the blue glare of the flashlights. Even though I shone the light in her eyes, it didn't affect her. She just casually remarked that she was home and we could leave.

That was when we decided to grab her and go back. I held her hand and said that even if she was home, we had to go back to my place. I got shoved hard in response. Now am not saying that I believe that demonic possession gives you superhuman strength or anything, but she is a skinny 5'3 and am 5'9 and I fell down when she shoved me. She put up a fight when the guys and I somehow managed to pick her up and made our way back to where we had parked.

Thankfully we weren't deep into the woods and our way back was a fairly easy trail of footsteps to follow. Vidya was struggling and screaming for some time, but she quietened down and by the time we were nearly out of the woods. Unfortunately I took one look into those woods and shined my flashlight casually into the trees. I saw black human like shapes into the trees, and the woods were full of them. I let out a blood curdling scream and we nearly ran the rest of the way to the car.

By the time Vidya was in a fit state to talk, we were driving on the slick roads at nearly 70 miles an hour and on our way back (it was nearly 3 am by then). One of the guys asked Vidya what the hell was she thinking bringing us there. Then amidst sobs she said that she remembered walking into the forest and was about to tell us the stories she had heard when she blanked out. She didn't remember taking us to the clearing, she doesn't remember shoving me, she didn't even remember running out with us.

As far as the story goes, the road is very dangerous and there are blind turns which lead to plenty of accidental deaths. Also the forest is inhabited by the tribal people who're said to indulge in strange religious practices, which may explain the shadows in the woods.

We went home and I was ready to put this incident behind me but that was when the nightmares started. I mention this because I wasn't the only one to have them. All of us had strange, frightening nightmares of walking through the woods, being chased by the shadows. I clearly recall one where I was about to crash the car I was driving because a dark shadow next to me was telling me to. The nightmares stopped after a week but we had decided to stop our wanderings for a year at least.

Feel free to comment or ask any question, I will try to answer it as best as I can. Regards.

Other hauntings by curiousDevu

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, curiousDevu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Vikram (14 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-05)
Hey, I read all your experiences written. While they are good, I get angry at you for tagging your friend Vidya along, knowing that she is vulnerable to attacks. Some day she might not be able to recover as quickly as she did. Don't do it please.
phd (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-12)
Dev,which part of India is this woods... Somewhere in southern part would really intrest me...;)
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-21)
CuriousDevu, wow holy cow that is scary! Do you know what the clearing actually was by any Chance? Like do you know what it's purposes was, or was it just natural clearing?
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-20)
It indeed was the scariest thing I experienced until date, looking back it was exceedingly foolish to venture into dark woods at night. The nightmares were worse though.
[at] Abby, I don't recall being followed, no.
Trischa_D (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-20)
That is SO freaky. I would never go back there! I'm not even sure if I would have gone in the first place! You guys are lucky you made it out of there! My sister wants us to go ghost hunting and that right there is a big reason why I won't go. I don't believe in inviting trouble- I've had enough of it without asking for it! Glad you guys took a break and from now on be very careful in where you decide to go from now on. Be safe in your travels!
saurabh08s (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-19)
Hi, where is this place in India? Which part of the country?
abbykay_luv (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-19)
That's soo scary. I am a very adventurous person but there is NO WAY I will go into some woods at 1am... Smh... Never. You guys are very brave... Thumbs up for that. Was wondering if you noticed anything whilst driving back... Like being chased (followed) or something of that sort. Great story though.
Abby
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-19)
Hello. I'm glad to read another post from you. Fortunately, y'all realized the depth of the situation before it was too late. Who knows what would've happened hadn't y'all hurried up then. I wonder where exactly these woods are situated, might as well gather my folks and pay a visit. Lol. Thank you.
-Shady.
Xanxad (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-19)
This is sounds like the scariest experience ever to me! You all are lucky to get out of there in 1piece! As you said, she (your friend) don't remember any of those moments you mentioned, am sure the spirit was pausing her there cause I heard about such evil spirit here in ethiopia that can pause you there and steal your shadow and replace it with other evil one. But lucky her she weren't alone there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: