You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Spirit Of The Grove

Real Ghost Stories

The Spirit Of The Grove

 

This was an experience which I had while I was visiting my paternal grandparents who stay in a beautiful beach town in Maharashtra. It's a quaint little village actually, extremely clean and beautiful. My grandparents' house is situated very near the beach. There are ample coconut and mango trees situated behind their house and provide cool shade as you head down to the beach right past the grove. The groves are dark and cool, and even in the morning the sunlight doesn't quite penetrate the trees. My grandmother warned me to stay out of the grove at nights. She said that spirits wander the place in the dark. I didn't really believe it.

I spent most of my days down at the beach. The water was cool and blue and there would not be many people down on the beach. I really cannot tolerate the Indian summer and wore shorts and a sleeveless tank top, enduring the weird looks the villagers flashed me. As I said, the beach was unused so I was pretty much left to myself and I usually stayed at the beach until the last of the daylight was gone. I spent my time reading a book or listening to music or just sat down watching to the waves roll in. I did walk through the mango groves at night and I didn't encounter anything so I figured that it was safe. I continued my routine and had really gotten used to the simple village life when I encountered what my grandma said was the spirit of the grove.

I had stayed at the beach late as usual and it was dark when I started walking home. I had only 5-10 minutes of walking and proceeded down my usual path among the trees. I mentioned before that it is pretty dark among the trees and at 7 pm, it was much darker. I have a keen eye and immediately noticed the little girl who stood by the trunk of a mango tree. I knew something was wrong. Little girls in the village never went in the groves after dark and besides, I thought, this was private property.

I knew it was not a human being I saw. It was dark but I could see her and will try to describe her appearance. She wore what appeared to be a knee-length garment of indiscernible color. I took in her dark, waist length hair and saw that she was looking at the foliage of the trees and knew she hadn't noticed me. I prayed that she would not notice me and quickened my pace. I did not take my eyes off her and saw that as she walked a few steps, she was gone.

I was scared and had cold sweat running down my body and made a break for it and ran all the way home. I was bent on not uttering a word of it to my grandmother, but she saw me running and the terrified look on my face and she guessed what took place. Needless to say I got a sound scolding and a strict warning about returning home before sundown. I had a fever that night because of the excitement and before morning lay in a delirious state. It was gone the next day but I stayed away from the beach for a few days.

I didn't see her (the little girl) again for the rest of my stay, but that was because I seldom stayed on the beach after the dark. My grandmother says that the spirit has many forms and can appear to anyone. I like to think that the girl is some form of elemental or the spirits of trees and forests who never had a human existence. Grandma thinks she is a guardian of the grove.

Any insight or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Other hauntings by curiousDevu

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, curiousDevu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fariya (7 stories) (52 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-16)
I have heard this many times that the spirits protecting trees are often seen in the form of little girls. But I don't know why they choose to be seen as a little girl? Why not any other form?
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-02)
[at] logan, summer holidays at my grandparents bring back scores of memories to me, as for the spirit I asked a few other people and they too were of the opinion that it was a guardian of some sort.
AshCat (24 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-08)
It seems like so many of the Indian ghost stories end with the person getting a fever! Weird!
ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-25)
You know devu I can relate to your experience as the property adjoining my house also has a mango tree which is said to be nearly 480 years odd old and is believed by all the people residing in my locality to be the abode of a guardian spirit called devchaar in konkani language of Goa and it means incarnation of God. Also many people have seen this spirit late at night walking throughout our neighborhood protecting all of us. And all Hindu households light the regular oil lamp that Hindu's light at dusk to honor this protective spirit.
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-27)
Hey there! What you have seen was indeed the guardian of the grove. It appeared in front of you just to make sure you aren't picking on the fruits. It intends harm only after you act against the trees. Scary much anyway. As always your stories are always great to read. Keep posting. Thank you.
-Shady
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-25)
curiousDevu,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I know what you mean by the spirit of the grove, I have relatives who own and run huge coffee plantations and they always say the that the plantation/estate has a spirit of its own. They believe that since that is where they earn there bread from its like a form of God for them.

But in your story you said you saw a small girl and she scared you, so I am guessing its some sort of a ghost/spirit. The village seems like such a lovely place, I am nostalgic about my summer holidays back home in my grandparents place.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: