You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Was It A Warning Of Death?

Real Ghost Stories

Was It A Warning Of Death?

 

My story begins in November 1995, On Thanksgiving day my godmother was rushed to the emergency room because she was not feeling well. Once at the hospital things went down hill fast and she was admitted into ICU and put on life support to help her breathe because she was having trouble breathing on her own. Well my mother and I stayed with her until late that evening and decided to go home and get some rest so we could be back by her side in the morning.

Once we were home I decided to sleep in my mother's room in case the hospital called with news. At around 2:00am I woke up to my dog growling this low growl so I nudged him thinking he was growling in his sleep. A few minutes later he started again but this time he was sitting up on the edge of the bed staring into the living room. Well my dog got louder and louder until he woke up my mom we both got up and saw nothing. I calmed my dog down and went back to bed.

Maybe ten minutes later I could hear footsteps in the living room, but not normal footsteps. These sounded like they walked by dragging one foot behind them. Both my mother and I are sitting up in bed looking into the living room, hearing the footsteps but seeing nothing.

As I was getting out the bed I heard a noise, the sound of someone dropping something on the table. But still I saw nothing and the dog was going crazy at this point. When I went to turn on the light the phone rang, it was the hospital informing us that my godmother (moms sister) had just had a stroke and was in a coma. The news was heart breaking, and when my mom hung up the phone we headed to the hospital.

It was about a 30 minute drive to the hospital and neither one of us spoke a word. My mind was on my godmother and what just happened at home right before the phone rang. Once we arrived at the hospital we got out the car and there was the strongest smell of roses in the air, with no roses to be found. We both smelled those roses all the way to my godmothers room in ICU. Then the smell faded away once we entered her room. The doctor came in an informed us that test revealed that the stroke cause major swelling in the brain and because of that she had damage to her brain stem and was brain dead. The next day she was removed from life support and passed away.

Now I can't explain what happened in those early morning hours, some tell me it was a warning and others just don't know. What do you think?

Other hauntings by LouisianaBelle

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LouisianaBelle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LouisianaBelle (5 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-26)
Thank you Sds for sharing... That is something. And thanks for reading.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
Hello LouisianaBelle, I also feel that it could be that your Godmother had come to say goodbye. I would narrate one incident that happened to me. My mother died on 24th of June, 2000. Immediately after her demise what had happened I described in one of my stories. But, prior to that, I think it was on 20th of June, 2000, she was better. But she wrote a note, as she was not able to speak coherently, and gave it to my father saying "Thanks for everything". Myself and my brother were quite shocked because she was better. In fact, my brother asked me if it were parting words and I calmed him down. Ultimately, it turned out to be so 4 days later.

Nice narration and thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
LouisianaBelle (5 stories) (16 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
Thank you all for your thoughts they are very helpful, I never thought as it her trying to say goodbye. But that thought alone makes me feel wonderful. She was more than a godmother she was my best friend and I know she is still around. And to answer you question her favorite
Flower was roses. 😊
And at the time this occurred I was five months pregnant with my first child. She was super excited for me and couldn't wait for me to have my son.
GhostLover101 (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
so for your loss, I be sure she be waiting for tha in the afterlife
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
LouisianaBelle, let me start by saying how sorry I am, for your and your mother's loss. It is never easy, no matter how old the person is; to take leave of a loved one is always a blow. Take comfort in the thought that she tried to say goodbye... Even if her effort was misunderstood. Many things become clearer in hind-sight!

I have a question for you: What was your godmothers favorite flower? IF it was roses, you have confirmation that she was bidding you farewell, in a less scary manner than she had tried before.
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
Hi louisianaBelle, I'm very sorry for your loss. I totally agree with the other posters that your godmother came to say goodbye at that time. We in the medical profession believe that when a person is declared brain dead - the person is gone and the machines only keeping the organs of the body alive at that moment of time. I also believe that a person within a coma can have an out of body experience while unconscious. Your dog definitely saw her. Thanks for sharing. Take care. Trix. ❤
MsWrestlersGhost (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
LouisianaBelle:
I think you beloved Godmother was trying to let you know that she didn't have long left before she passed over... So she tried to come and say goodbye and let you and your mother know that she loves you and that she would miss... And to let you know she was going to be o.k. When she had crossed over. And that she'll be there for you in spirit for you when you need her.

Your dog obviously picked up on your godmothers spirits prsence... Animals are known to be very sensitive to the presence of spirits. So your dog was trying to let you know he/she picked up on your godmother's spirit... And the dog saw what you couldn't and try to let you know. I have had pets let me know about spirits in the past.

I am so sorry for your loss. I know it can be so painful. If you need to talk about anything... There are plenty of good people here who be only to happy to help.

Im counting myelf in for this... If anyone needs a person to talk to... Please feel free to email me... I will try my hardest to offer any Psychic and Medium help I can.

Thanks, Kind Regards,
MsWrestlersGhost.
azhar (3 stories) (20 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
First of all, I am very sorry for your loss...

Yes, it might well have been a premonition. Human souls can have very strong and amazing bounds, feeling a calamity strike a beloved one, or having a premonition of something is not really unusual.

How exactly that takes place is probably not within our reach of comprehension, and it does not matter that much either, but whenever we have such a hint about someone near and dear, 'weird feeling' sights, dreams, whatever, we should not brush them away immediately (but still, hope and pray for the best) otherwise we might miss a precious chance to connect another time, perhaps even the last time...

These are just some scattered thoughts, based on experience. I don't know how relevant they are to others...
LouisianaBelle (5 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-14)
I never thought of it like that. Its a nice thought. Thanks for reading. 😊
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-14)
To me it sounded like the godmother was saying goodbye mabie. That could be why you heard dragging footsteps.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: