You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Warning From My Guardian Angel

Real Ghost Stories

Warning From My Guardian Angel

 

About 27 years ago, I had to leave town for work for about a week. Before I left, I talked to my grandmother on the phone and she told me to call her when I got back and she'd have me over for pot roast (we lived in the same town) since we hadn't visited in a while.

When I returned from travel, I got home late after many hours of flying and I slept in the next day, which was Saturday. I spent the rest of Saturday and all of Sunday getting the household back in order and getting ready for the next busy week. It happened to be Labor Day weekend and Monday was a holiday. I was taking a class from the local university also, and had studying that I was doing that weekend also. I'd missed a week of classes so I was stressed and trying to catch up with the material. Therefore, I hadn't called my grandmother to let her know I was home.

Monday morning (day off from work because of the holiday) I invited a friend over who was in my class to study with me. While we were studying, I got up for a drink of water and passed the phone that was mounted to the wall and immediately thought of the fact I hadn't called my grandmother yet. I said to myself that I wasn't going to call that day because I needed a rest after this study session was done. It was entirely selfish of me, and right when that thought entered my mind, I was shook to the core by a very loud voice yelling at me in my head, talking over my own thoughts, saying "CAN YOU LIVE WITH THAT DECISION?" I was stunned and so startled that I stopped and gave serious thought to this question. I said to myself "Yes, I can live with that" and went back about my business.

About five hours later my brother called me and said I had better go to the hospital because something was wrong with grandma and she was in the emergency room. I got to the hospital and about twenty minutes later we were told that they couldn't save her. It turns out that she had been cooking beans and felt a bit fatigued and decided to lay down while they simmered. My grandmother was a religious person and always knelt at her bedside to say her prayers before laying down to rest. She was found by a nephew in the position of kneeling next to her bed with her head and upper body collapsed onto the bed. The coroner said her heart just stopped. She hadn't been sick, so this shocked everyone. Plus she was only in her 50's. (She was only 15 when she gave birth to my mother, since her cultural background had her family marry her off when she was only 14.)

The voice that tried to warn me didn't sound either male or female. It yelled at me and it gave me a choice and I chose not to call her. I felt horrible guilt for years. Now I understand that I'm only human and made the decision I thought was best at the time. I haven't experienced anything like that voice since then, and have wondered if it was my guardian angel, and if it had to yell at me because I'm so thick and insensitive that it had to work hard to get through my thick skull.

I found out recently that my grandmother likely died from a rare genetic heart disease that causes sudden death.

I'm very much enjoying this site and I thank all of you who read my story!

Other hauntings by DandK

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DandK, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MrsRamsay (guest)
 
2 years ago (2022-04-19)
I realize I'm six years late on this comment, but was so interested to read about the bright light. When my mom passed 9 years ago and I would go to her house to clean after, I noticed more than once that certain lights were shining super bright. On one occasion, I turned the porch lights off when I got there but when I was pulling out of the driveway the same ones were shining SO brightly (it was after noon). I haven't really seen this before or since but I believe your experience meant something!
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-28)
Strange thing happened tonight that I have to share.

I'd been thinking about my grandmother tonight (the one from this story) and it made me also think about my paternal grandmother who died before I was born. I happened to be shown a picture of her yesterday, so she easily popped into my mind while thinking of my maternal grandmother.

My husband and I were eating dinner in front of the tv. We both enjoy watching a show while we eat. After thinking about my grandmother about an hour earlier, I was surprised when a new character showed up in the show with a nameplate that had my paternal grandmother's name on it. Her name is very uncommon, so it was shocking. It made me think of my other grandmother's name which is also unique. I told my husband "it's interesting how both of my grandmother's have such unique names. Then I said each name one after the other like this: name1. Name2.

My husband humored me and agreed, and we finished eating. I took the plates into the kitchen and went to the bathroom to wash up. When I got out, my husband was washing dishes, and I noticed a very bright light coming from the living room. It was like a photographer's light, or like bright sunlight streaming into our living room. I stood in the area between the living room and kitchen so I could see him and the living room, and asked him if he had changed the lightbulb. He said "No, does the light suddenly seem really bright to you too?" It was extremely bright. I shut off the lamp. We both like dim light and only use a 40 W bulb, the old kind, in the lamp. Not sure what happened, but...

Fast forward a couple of hours. I'm going to read a bit in bed before I fall asleep. I open my book and turn to the next page and what do I see? A new character is introduced with my paternal grandmother's name! Then in the same sentence they introduce her sister... Who has my maternal grandmother's name! Then, if that's not enough, the next sentence they repeat the names back to back just like I did, in a sentence that read: Name1. Name2. These are both highly unusual names.

I think they're trying to tell me something.

Also strangely, both of my grandmothers share the same birthday.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Jane, thanks for your comment and relaying your own voice experience. Funny thing is, when I was reading your story in which you describe the nesting hawks, I read what you wrote and made a mental note at the time that you meant red tailed hawks!

By the way, I can't wait to read more of your story!
Calamity (2 stories) (53 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-04)
DandK,

I am so so sorry that happened. Your grandmother's death must have been a terrible shock, and carrying all that guilt a heavy burden.

I heard my version of the voice just a few days ago. I have submitted another post to YGS, but unfortunately, while writing it I was both distracted and rushed. I should have put off working on it but I instead I forged ahead and submitted it. Fast forward a couple of days and I was walking up to the second floor of my house. I was almost at the top, and out of the blue heard "the voice". In my next post I wrote about of a pair of Red-Tailed Hawks we had nest in our "backyard", but in my haste I typed Red-Winged Hawks. This is what the voice very sternly shouted at me, "Red-Tailed!" That's all. Nothing else. I knew immediately what it was referring to. Ah well, if it had only yelled at me before I hit submit!

Thank you for your post. You've reminded me that so many of us have these same experiences and thanks to this forum we are able to share them with each other.

Jane
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-03)
Hi Mack, Thank you for your very thoughtful response! I was very close to my grandmother... Closer than anyone in my family. I actually felt while I was growing up that she was the one person that I knew I could count on.

I was able to correlate the two events. I heard the voice about three hours before she died.

As far as the emotion associated with the voice, I felt like I was being sharply warned. It yelled at me and almost knocked me off my feet with the sheer intensity and loudness in my head. It wasn't angry. But through the years, my feelings are that it was like someone saying 'you'll be sorry'.

Thank you for all of your kind words. I have come to accept what I did and believe it was the right thing at the time. I sure would love to be able to talk to the owner of that voice though! Lot's of times I could have used the help!

Best regards Mack,

DandK
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-03)
TJYAKI, I'm very sorry to hear about your brother and that you had to go through that. I'm really glad that sharing this story has brought you some measure of peace.

Thank you for reading my story and for sharing your own experience as well.

With all the best,

DandK
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-02)
Hi DandK - thanks for sharing that experience. Very well written, I might add (makes it SO much easier to relate to!)

If it helps at all, I believe that when it's time for someone to pass over, they will pass over. That was your Grandmothers time to pass into spirit.

Without getting too deep and philosophical, I believe when something happens, anything happens, because it happened, it was meant to be. It was always going to happen, because it did! One action leads to another, back to infinity and forward to infinity, a chain of events. Cause and effect with mathematical precision.

Your Grandmothers time to pass came, and she did. That's not your fault, you weren't supposed to intervene, because you didn't. It's ok! 😊

I have two questions that may help; the first is; were you particularly close to your Grandmother? The second question is; were you able to correlate the two events in terms of the time she passed over and when you heard the voice?

I ask because often when people pass over, at that moment there can be a lot of psychic energy released. I wonder if that voice you heard was in fact your Grandmother, who had just recently passed over.

And the reason I asked if you were close was because if you weren't that close, she may have been angry that you kind of knew (psychically) she was in trouble, but chose not to call? (I'm just throwing this out there as a possible explanation).

Can you recall what emotion, or energy (if any) that the voice was associated with? Was it angry, judgmental or neutral?

But please don't beat yourself up and feel guilty. Her body died because her spirit left it. She's still around, probably more alive than ever and feeling better than before!

As someone once wisely said: "Why weep when the bird is released from the cage?"

Regards

Mack
TJYAKI (5 stories) (13 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-02)
DandK,

Wow. I totally understand your guilt. When my brother committed suicide... I wish I just would have called him once more. I'm happy for you being able to let go of your guilt, as you said we are only human. I found your story helpful to me in my journey of letting mine go. Whilw I kow he wouldn't want me to feel guilty and I know he's still here with me when I need him. I still feel that sting.

Your story has deffinetly brought me some peace though, seeing that others know this feeling.

Thank you ❤

TJ
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-01)
Tweed, I totally agree with you! I've told myself many times that if you have to go, it couldn't be any better than the way she went. Peacefully, praying. Presumably no pain. I've also thought that her death was so kind to her because she was a person with a huge heart.

I've often thought that if I had called her that day, that I might have been short with her because I was immature and stressed out, and self-important. These times make me glad I didn't do that.

Thank you for reading and commenting! I always look forward to your comments!

DandK
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-01)
Spiritwaiting, Oh man. Thank you for sharing that. Again I find myself having to compose myself and gather my thoughts before I can respond to your comment. I don't feel like anything I say can do justice to what I'm feeling about this. The fact you've been through this too really helps (here I'm looking for words, but not getting the right ones; 'helps' just doesn't cut it, but I feel like you know what I mean).

Losing your mother in that way is something that I can't even fathom. I'm sorry you went through that pain. But as I've gotten older, I believe that things happen for a reason. Sometimes I play through different scenarios in my mind, but I know that everything that's happening to us is for the ultimate good. I think there may be a lot of folks that disagree with me, but it is something I believe in. I try to remember that these days, but sometimes it's a challenge.

Thank you for the nice words about my grandmother. I agree that she totally wouldn't want me to feel bad... About anything.

With all my best thoughts to you, DandK
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-01)
Gus, wow! I cannot imagine how bad your teacher must have felt. I read your comment before I went to work this morning and I was so blown away that I couldn't answer it until I got home. I thought about it throughout the day. The poor guy! I bet you're spot on about this forming him into the kind man that he was. I still feel at a loss for words.

Thank you so much for sharing that story. I'm never going to forget it.

Thanks for the kind hugs too!

All the best, DandK
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-01)
Wow, so many beautiful comments. 😊

DandK, whoever spoke to you that day obviously loves and cares for you. No doubt this individual helped you with the loss of your Grandmother and the guilt you felt.
Who knows, perhaps after all you knew it wasn't the right time to call her. Maybe, had you listened to the voice, you would have interrupted her. I say this because I found it touching your Grandmother, religious woman, was found in a praying position. Perhaps to your Gran this was a nice way to go, and your decision granted her that.

I'm so sorry she left this realm, and at such a young age. This experience is already helping others and I hope it brings you peace to share it. ❤
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-03-01)
DandK,
I completely understand the guilt you carried. In one of my stories, I express the same guilt for not calling my mother, same voice in my mind nagging at me to call her. But I didn't thus carrying guilt.

After a long period, I came to a realization.
My mother being so far away, and the time the voice had been nagging, she wouldn't have answered the call. And I wouldn't have been able to stop her attempt at suicide.

This resonated with me, because of your pain.
I know the feeling all to well.
Just know, she knows the guilt and pain you felt for that decision. She loves you. And I know she wouldn't want you to feel that way, or carry it with you.
Don't carry that guilt around. We all make decisions, that we regret etc. I have had my fair share of them!

Hehe were only human

❤ 😊
Thank you for writing this.
It helped to remind me of why I always listen to that inner voice 😊
.
Lots of bear hugs
Sincerely
Spiritwaiting
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+6
8 years ago (2016-03-01)
Oh, DanK, I'm so sorry! *hug* What a terrible thing to have riding on you, I am glad you seem to have come to forgive yourself. Everyone makes rash decisions in their youth - chalk it up to a partially developed brain charged up on stress, caffeine, wild amounts of new information, too little sleep and more stress.

I had a teacher in high school -the absolute kindest most intelligent individual I have ever encountered- who told me of a similar experience in his life. He was 16 years old, growing up in rural New England in the 1950s - basically a normal kid with the normal Norman Rockwellian family life. That day, one of his friends was throwing a big party and he was all jazzed up to go but it had snowed heavily the night before - as he was about to step out the door, his father called him back and told him he had to shovel the driveway first... It was a rural neighborhood, the drive was massive, shoveling it was a job of hours. After several failed protestations, he slogged out to the garage, grabbed the shovel and set to. With every scoop of snow, he stewed and grew a little bit more indignant that he was missing the party because of this stupid chore. After about an hour and a half, he was nearly halfway done and had worked himself into a proper teenage state of raging righteous indignation - his father took pity on him and came out to relieve him and he exploded all over him. His parting words to his father were something along the lines of 'I hate you and I hope I never see you again!' - with that, he went off to the party. He felt a bit bad for having flown off the handle but was gladder to be going to the party. Before the fête was done, however, there was a call from his mom - she was hysterical...evidently, after he'd left, his father had set to work finishing the drive and suffered a fatal heart attack. When he told the story to me, you could see in his eyes that he still carried a bit of that guilt with him though he had tried to forgive himself over the years. He took the lesson from it though - and maybe it was that lesson helped make him the kind understanding person he was when I met him - those traits helped him make a very positive impact on many many students' lives including my own.

I'm no expert but I've come to realize in my life that regret and guilt are wasted emotions that do nothing but hurt us and weigh us down - from every experience in our lives we should learn something and, when we have, the guilt and regret go away because they have no meaning anymore. I hope that didn't sound preachy, it wasn't meant to be - promise.

Some lessons sting more than others but I'm very glad that it seems like the sting has mostly gone from this one.

Peace and love,
-Gus
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-01)
Miracles, thank you! I am glad this story meant something to you. That means a lot to me, and gives me some comfort. I feel the same way as you described about stories being meaningful to people. It does make me feel connected. To the people at this site, and on the large scale, to life. I know that sounds strange, but I don't know how else to describe that feeling.

I have also sworn that I would heed that voice if I ever heard it again!

Take care, and thank you!
DandK
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
8 years ago (2016-03-01)
DandK - your story made me cry 😭. I am well acquainted with "the voices in my head" as one of my brothers calls them LOL (just happened yesterday as a matter of fact).

Your story solidifies my vow to always listen when they talk to me. I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother and that you were troubled by the decision you made. Anyone would be (have been) and it takes a strong person to realize and admit that they are only human. Who knows? If the situation had been different, you may not have been able to reach her on the phone anyway.

Sometimes I think we are meant to share our stories because it means something to someone reading it. In this case, I believe your experience was meant for, at least, me.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: