You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Train Conductor In The Closet

Real Ghost Stories

Train Conductor In The Closet

 

This isn't my own story, but my brother's. When I was about 7 I lived in Utah about 30 minutes away from Salt Lake City in a really old house in the mountains. We had to fix it up a lot because it was kind of worn down, but nothing seemed wrong with it other than that. My brother was really into trains and had these metal ones that could whistle and chug around if you flipped the switch to turn them on.

My brother was only 3 at the time and used to start screaming and crying in the middle of the night because of the 'guy' in his closet. When we asked him what the guy looked like he said that he was old and had on a conductors outfit like with the striped overalls and hat, and he said that the guy kept playing with his trains. The trains were kept in his closet and the bed was across the room but he would wake up and the trains would be chugging around and whistling. It seems so impossible! You HAD to have flipped the switch on the train and he couldn't even reach the top of his closet! This went on for days and we told my brother to ask the man what his name was, so that night when he saw the guy in his closet he asked and we were shocked at what the 'man' had said. He had said that his name was Lee. My great Grandmom Nevada had been married to a train conductor who died years before and his name was Lee! So it was my great grandfather who was 'visiting' my little brother.

My mom didn't want my brother to keep getting scared at night though so she told him to tell Lee to go away and he never did come back... At least to visit my brother. I was talking to my great Aunt and she told me that at night my little cousin wakes up screaming at night because the 'train man' keeps turning on his toy trains that are in the closet (he really loves trains too and was only 3 like my brother was) is that just a coincidence?

Other hauntings by Taynevada

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Taynevada, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-07-17)
haunted_childhood: Kind'a doing the "Pot/Kettle" thing, aren't you?

7/22/11 "wow...there is so much childish arguing and "ganging up" on people on this site. I'm sure I'll catch a lot of that myself for voicing my opinion, but whatever... I had to say it. I also don't like all these "sex with ghosts" stories I see on here all the time. Not that I'm a prude, but I just don't believe in that sort of thing, and I have no desire to sit here and read about "demons" or whatever, groping people's breasts and giving them orgasms. Keep that crap to yourself! It's like reading p0rn on a ghost site. Ok... Let the lashing begin...I'm outta here! Serious"

7/27/11 "Sorry if I jumped the gun...I've just seen a lot of arguing on this site, and it seems like in some cases, people can't voice their opinion with out being "jumped on" by several people at once. I also don't believe people can have sex with ghosts, but maybe I'm wrong. It just seems very far-fetched to me, and most times, these incubi/succubi stories get waaay more graphic than necessary. I just think it's in poor taste, and I think the authors can get their point across without having to reveal every little detail of the experience. As I stated before, it's like reading p0rn on a ghost site. But that's just my opinion, and I suppose I should steer clear of that kind of story. (Because like I said, I don't believe in that type of thing anyway.) I suppose anything is possible, but for the most part, I think it's all just in the person's head. Just my two cents though."

2/1/12 "No disrespect intended, but how do you know it's not all in your head letaro0?"

My point is, this is a user friendly site if one is on the up and up. If one is not, we don't want them here.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-17)
BadJuuJuu,

I will never understand why it happens, but I'm very happy that people care enough to try to ensure the quality of this place!

<3

Best wishes to you
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-07-17)
Elnora, I wish it was just teenagers making up fake stories. We get a lot of adults doing it as well. We also get a lot of stories plagiarized from other sites. 😭
Haunted, please feel free to find a site more to your tastes. We nitpick in an attempt to maintain truth and honesty. We do our best to weed out the fake and the plagiarized stories during the editing process, but occasionally some bad stuff slips through. The community here is great at trying to maintain integrity in a topic many people consider a joke. So yeah, we take this stuff seriously, and don't appreciate the fakes making a mockery of the paranormal with bs stories.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-17)
Haunted, the point of this site is to be truthful and lean on others for support after these experiences.

There has been a huge influx of teenagers making up elaborate stories and getting them posted (the submission links have even gone down with a note specifying the large number of fake stories need to stop).

There are plenty of sites out there that let people post whatever they wish, regardless of content or honesty. The point of this site is not to have a "good story". It's about personal experiences that truly happened.

People have every right to request information and put in their two cents. They requested it, it was given and everyone was happy. The problem with the narrative was that it was embellished and that made it confusing to the reader. Problem solved.
haunted_childhood (34 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2014-07-17)
I realize this story was posted quite some time ago, but this is why I have a problem with this site. The members here are constantly nit-picking people and more or less calling them liars! Seriously, it's like you just love to try and discredit peoples' stories, I've seen it time & time again here. Sure, not everyone is going to tell the truth ALL the time, but not everyone is lying all the time either. I'm sure my opinion won't amount to two cents here, but I just had to have my say after seeing it happen so many times. People give you a good story and then have to "explain" themselves and offer all kinds of explanations when you attack them with accusatory remarks. Sheesh! Lighten up people! If you don't believe the story, is it really all that hard to just move on to the next one instead of making accusations that you honestly have no PROOF of YOURSELVES?! It just bugs me, that's all. Time to find a more "user-friendly" ghost site! 😢
Taynevada (3 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-18)
To redwolf and sds, I'm sorry I came across as saying that my brother described him that way in detail. He said that the train man was In his closet, but we asked him if he was wearing the overalls and hat and he said yes. He knew what a 'train man' looked like so when we described it to him he knew what we were talking about. I definitely did not make this up and wasn't trying to make it seem like that, it's just how I was describing it so you all knew exactly what I was talking about. And thank you to Sebastian, Catherynlynx, rookdygin and others for your advice:)
MJackson91 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-18)
Hello there Taynevada,

This is a very good story, I have a story simular to this on my profile you should check it out when you get a chance...
As far as the comments about a 3year old being able to comprehend and tell you in details I truelly believe that is posibal as I have witnessed it first hand, my little brother was about 3 when I walked in on him talking to my grandpaw and uncle (both have passed way befor he was born).

Thanks,
MJackson91
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-18)
Taynevada, I think I go with RedWolf. At that age, I do not think children would be so clear in their talk and would explain as to how a person looks like including the dress. That seems quite far-fetching. Well, you can ask your cousin, who is now 6 years old if he has any such experiences now. I do not think so. Without offending you, I am quite skeptical about this narrative.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-18)
Taynevada,
I have a problem with your story. I am the mother of 3 and aunt to 8. At age 3 a child is not capable of such a comprehensive conversation. Three year old toddlers who wake up screaming and crying wouldn't say anything, they would just fall back to sleep after being soothed and most likely not remember anything the next morning.
You said that when your brother was asked what he looked like your brother said he was old and had a conductors outfit like outfit with the striped overalls and hat, and said that the guy kept playing with his trains. Normally a child that age would say and old guy dressed funny, or he would say an old guy who looks like a train man.
I'm not going to say your story is made up but please don't embellish the next time.
CatherynLynx (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-17)
Dear Taynevanda,
I think that Rookdygin is right, I think that he would understand and stop doing it. 😁
Taynevada (3 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-15)
Thank you everyone for our advice! I always wondered why he had come to visit and I'm so glad that there are others here that can relate to this! Thanks again:D my little cousin is 6 now so I wonder if he still sees Lee in his closet still, I will have to ask and if he does I will post it on here
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-15)
Taynevada,

Sounds as if Great Granddad is trying to share his passion for trains with the Great Grand kids. You do not 'HAVE' to ask him to go away but you may want to 'speak to him'... While picking up the trains and putting them in the closet all you have to do is 'talk' to him. Explain the sounds he is making are scaring the young ones and that he is welcome to stay but needs to be aware he is scaring them and could he please be careful and considerate when he does visit.

Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
SebastianRaynes73 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
Taynevada, this story is great. I think that your Great Grandpa Lee, the train conductor. Came to see his family, probably got curious when he saw the train toys that reminded him of his job in life. And your brother being only 3, its no wonder he got a bit of a fright. Strange man he didn't know playing with his toys when he and everyone else was usually asleep. If Id been that young and had seen that, I would have most probably freaked out too.
I think it was a great idea of your mom's to get him to ask the man playing with his toys who he was. And that better still the man answered him. And later left him alone when he asked the man to leave.
He must having been a good caring man in life, this Lee and didn't want to frighten or upset anyone intentionally.

It is a bit odd that he has since come back again and is playing with the train's of another male family member. I think he is just curious about the new family members that have arrived since he passed on and that he really means no one any harm. If the boy who sees him now is scared. Why don't you ask him to ask Lee to leave again like last time. I'm sure If Lee knows he is frightening the child he will leave again for a while like last time.

Great story by the way.
Sebastian.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: