You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: What Did I Meet In The Woods?

Real Ghost Stories

What Did I Meet In The Woods?

 

In 1993 I was living in Camden, Maine. I moved there 3 months before from PA. It was wonderful, miles of coastline and forest. Mt. Battie was a park in Camden. Drive the Mt or hike. Look east and the bay, ships would be the sight. Look north and you could watch the skiers on the slope a half mile away.

Down the road I was told about trails that you can hike for miles. One winter, being a hiker, I loaded up my dog and got a map and went for a January hike. Snow was in the air but I couldn't wait, we went. After about two hours of following the trail through mountains, it started snowing real hard, almost a whiteout. My dog loved it and so did I. It was a feeling of magic in the air and snow.

I cam across an open field, maybe about 300 ft of open space. My dog became scared and ran in circles barking. I thought maybe a bear was near. I looked around and could see all around me, no trees just open field. My dog started going crazy, now I'm worried. I started calling for my dog, nowhere in sight. I could her her barking, running away. This was 1 or 2 minutes me looking around in a open field, nothing around.

I turn to my left and this man is standing 3 ft away from me. I almost fell over it was a shock. Where did this guy come from? I backed off about 5 ft and looked at him. At the time I was to shocked to think clearly. So I just said, "Where did you come from?" He was over 6 ft and pure white, like a plastic doll. He didn't answer me, so I turned around because I heard my dog again far away. It was 3 or 4 seconds I turned back back and he was gone.

It was snowing like hell all of a sudden and I started looking this way and that -- no one. All there was was my footprints in the snow. I started getting out of there. About 20 ft down the trail I saw a footprint along side my half snow-covered print. As I walked there was another 10 ft away, new and fresh. Every 10 feet another. All going the opposite way. I tried running and jumping to match the stride of the prints. No way could I do it. I'm 6 ft and could not match the stride. It was going the way I came in, so I followed it, still hearing my dog.

All of a sudden, with fresh snow my old prints pretty much covered, they disappeared. I followed my prints to get back out the way I came. When I got back to my truck my dog was underneath it and not willing to get out from under the truck.

I'm part American Indian and heard stories about wood sprites. They can take the shape of people, but look fake if you look close. I think that is what I ran into that day. A week or so later I went back the same way as before. I never found that open field again, only mountain trails.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, no1else, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-28)
Reminded me of Mists of Avalon - crossing parallel planes of existence and then coming back again (clearing in one, no clearing in the other).

Fictional story, but folklore is rampant with these 'places apart' when weird spiritual things happen. People disappear into other realms and meet fairies or sprites or Giants or what have you.

Walking in the woods in the middle of a snowstorm sounds like the perfect time to jump to a different plane of existence. The creature turned you back before you went too far.
jamie123 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-28)
no1else.

I have heard of these white figures and my friend has had an encounter with one himself.

Now these white figures are there to worn you that something bad is going to happen soon. They usually point in the direction or at the house/place it is going to happen. This doesn't mean something bad is going to happen to you but it wants you to intervene. So did it point or anything? Id like to know
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-11)
no1else, Gave me chills (no pun intended)! Thanks for sharing!
bigalmkal (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-25)
loved this story! Wonder what it was you seen 😕 very strange you can't find the field again too!
njforte (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-19)
This is a very interesting story. Thank you for sharing it with us!
no1else (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-19)
When I went back I followed the same trail as before. I saw landmarks and even though I was sure It was the same way, I could not find a field. It struck me as strange to have a flat open field on a trail like that after giving it alittle thought. I don't think I want to run into something like it again though. From what I know it can be a good or bad omen and one should never look for it. Thank You all for reading my story.
crf1997 (2 stories) (44 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-02-18)
This is like my most favorite story ever! That is so cool! It sorta reminds me of the movie Twilight haha. And what a mystery about the open field!
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-18)
Hello no1else, that was a nice narration and a good experience. You are a courageous person and tried to match the stride on the opposite direction, for good. Your dog's behaviour is quite strange and perhaps, he sensed that there was something unearthly in the open field and just got of to your truck. It is good that nothing happened to you and your dog. You said that you went back again. Did you go to the same place or little elsewhere because you also said that there was no open field but only mountain trails. That is also a mystery.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Mabs_Sith_Lord (72 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-17)
Thank you for sharing your story - it made for a really intriguing read! Regarding open fields and spirits, I was in south east Asia last year. The country had big open fields (paddy fields) but I remember our guide telling us not to go into open field especially at night and at around 2.00 pm when the sun casts no shadows. Why? Because the open fields are the haunts of the spirits. Your dogs reaction is a sign he sensed something, otherwordly and which you yourself saw. As for the description of the entity, that is exactly how the spirits or 'djinns' are seen as in that part of the world. They appear normally in white, very tall with big strides. Of course they can also take other forms and arent just restricted to one form. You're very brave because if it was me, I would've crapped myself. Lol!

Thankyou for sharing!

Mabs
psychicmama (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-17)
Wow that is very interesting! Thick snow falling can be quiet, too, and I've found can be a little eerie. Did you feel like this thing got you turned around before you went too far in the snow? Did you feel it before you saw it or was it a total surprise?

Thanks for sharing!
LillyPieLindsay (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-16)
Wow, how very interesting. At first when you mentioned how he looked plasticy and white-ish I was thinking maybe it was an illusion of some sort by the light bouncing off the snow. But the footprints coupled with your dogs sudden bizarre behavior seems to point to this being a supernatural event.

I loved the description of you and the dog alone in the snow, btw. Although I'm not a cold weather person I do love the beauty of the snow when it's just me and my dog out there, feeling like we're totally alone in the beauty of it all. (so.something that's hard to do in the middle of Chicago!)

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Very interesting story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: