You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Daughter Heard Me Call Her Name When I Did Not Call Her

Real Ghost Stories

My Daughter Heard Me Call Her Name When I Did Not Call Her

 

A few nights ago, about 30 minutes after I put my daughters to bed, one of my 7 year old twin daughters came into the den saying, "Why were you calling me, Mommy?". I told her I did not call her and she insisted I had called her name twice and told her it was an "emergency". I just told her everything was ok and put her back in bed.

The next day after school, I talked to her some more about what happened. She insisted again that I had called her until she woke up and came to find me. I told her that I believed her and I thought she was telling me the truth. She also added that other times (not the other night) her twin sister and my husband had called her name but she was never able to wake up for them - only me and when I said it was an emergency.

I totally believe her and I hope I have assured her that I believe her.

My concern, as her name was said with my voice and I said it was an emergency, is she or I or anyone else is the family in danger? Is there something different I need to do if/when it happens again?

I don't know if this is related or not but she says she always has bad dreams, although I am not aware that she was scared in this experience.

I don't know if her twin sister has ever had this happen before. If it has, she has not said anything to me. Although, she told me years ago about waking up and seeing an old man sitting in her chair in her bedroom.

I am interested to hear what everyone has to say. I have seen lots of helpful advice on this website and am so glad I found it to help us.

Thanks!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, turtlemom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

lari (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-30)
On several occasions my family members have experienced something similar. My mom said she heard me call her name. My dad heard me call his name at the park in the same exact spot where my mom heard my voice calling hers. My cousins saw me arrive and heard my voice talking in their house, when I was actually with my mom. They asked my dad where I went because they had thought I was at their house. I wonder if there are such things as spirits impersonating people. 😕 Makes me feel special but it also makes me worry. Could they be trying to communicate if it's a real voice being projected...
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-25)
I used to experience this while I was wide awake. I would be in my room and hear my Aunt calling my name, I would go to her she was like I didn't call you. That definitely left me confused. I would like to know who or what was calling me, and why?
Skeptic_not_Sceptic (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-28)
I had this happen to me as a kid. My mom would swear she didn't call me, but I had heard her calling me clear as day. If it's any comfort, things didn't escalate.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-22)
"some form of sleep paralysis"
Probably bad wording on my part in a post below. The experience I mentioned, I did have some trouble waking myself up- but during that time I was between sleep and waking, I heard some unusual stuff going on in my house- only to wake and find it quiet. Everyone is unique in the way they process the stages of sleep.
Of course, as a parent, you can never be too careful in making sure your kids aren't being exposed to any negative outside influences/or infestations.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-22)
Hi turtlemom, I go with Redwolf in this. I think that your daughter might have been dreaming and kids do have bad dreams. You said in your post that you are keeping up a journal. That is a good beginning, if at all, there is something paranormal happening. And I do not think that just because she told it was an emergency, it is really far-fetching to think that you or any of children are in danger. If anything further develops, as you are keeping a journal, please keep us informed.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-21)
turtlemom - thanks for answering my questions 😊 I've tried a couple of different times to put into words my theory, but no matter how I say it, it doesn't exactly make sense... Even to me 😆

I'm still trying to figure out the right words to make it seem less..."are you kidding me? Really?" 😆 But right now even I would think I was way off base. (And completely ridiculous LOL)

I really don't think you have anything to worry about as far as your daughter hearing you calling for her, and I do strongly encourage keeping a journal. Even things that seem insignificant. Please keep us updated on any new developments.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-20)
Turtlemom
Now you are saying that she told you she heard you say there was a fire. This makes even less sense that she didn't wake up her sister to come with her. It also doesn't make sense that she wasn't upset when she finds you.
I would use Rookdygins cleansing method just in case but I don't think there is anything to worry about. 😕
turtlemom (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-20)
Hi Miracles51031,

I'll be interested to read your thoughts.

1. When did your daughter hear you calling for her about the fire?

The night of Feb. 10th.

2. How did you realize the battery in the smoke detector needed changed?

The smoke detector started beeping (loudly) every 30 seconds or so to let me know the battery was dying and stopped once the battery was replaced.

Thanks!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-20)
turtlemom - I have a theory running around in my head, but need some more information first.

1. When did your daughter hear you calling for her about the fire?

2. How did you realize the battery in the smoke detector needed changed?

Thank you for the additional information 😊
turtlemom (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-20)
Thanks everyone for all the great input! I wanted to add a little more info as I have talked to my daughter E more about this.

The other times this happened were on separate nights. The first time E heard her sister calling her and asking her to come watch TV with her and the other time her Dad calling her asking her to come and give him a hug. She was never able to wake up and respond to their requests.

When E woke up this time, she said I was calling, actually yelling, for her and it was an emergency and I said there was a fire. She was not stressed or upset though when she found me - more wondering why I was waking her up. She was more concerned that I didn't seem to be aware that I called her.

A little more about E also - E is very much a "follow the rules" kind of girl. Since I was the one calling her and she and her sister have their own rooms she came straight to me. She also is doing well in school and has several close friend so I don't think there is a problem there.

I will definitely start keeping a journal - maybe that can help give me some insight to when she hears me calling her.

I think it is cool she heard me, but my concern was the emergency part.

And just an extra note - the battery in the smoke detector in her room died yesterday (hopefully coincidence!) and I had to replace it.

Thanks everyone, I hope I did not ramble on too much.
Riri (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-20)
Hi Turtlemom,

There is definitely something going on in your house.
You say that your daughters are a twin and twins are more sensable to paranormal stuff.
I don't think it is harmfull but I would certainly recommend a cleansing.
You never know, right?
reneespring (148 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-19)
In the Bible it mentions a child who kept hearing his name called at night and he kept going to the priest to ask him what he wanted, for he lived in the temple. But the priest told him, it wasn't I who called you, it was God. Maybe God is calling your daughter but she thinks it is the voice of her family members. On the other hand, it might be a ghost.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-19)
Hi turtlemom. When I was very little, can't remember how old, just little, I woke up one morning to my dad screaming my name. I yelled back "what?" He yelled my name again, I yelled what again, went back and forth like that for a couple of minutes before I got out of bed and went into the living room to see what he wanted. Both my parents were watching the morning news, both said they heard me yelling what, but both swore dad had never called me. There were many times I heard my dad or youngest brother calling me when they weren't home. It got to be one of those things, sort of like a squeeky floorboard, just a quirk of the house that I got used to. It was annoying, yeah, but harmless and easy enough to ignore. I wouldn't worry about it.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-19)
turtlemom - the first time my daughter heard me call for her, and I hadn't, she was a toddler. This went on for several years. This is an entry from my Journal: "There were so many days that Jerrica would come into the Living Room or Kitchen and ask me what I wanted. Before I realized what was going on, I would tell her I didn't say anything. Jerrica would tell me that yes, I called her name. Finally, when I realized she was hearing voices, I started telling her I didn't remember what I wanted, or I would make something up." My daughter will be 21 in May. The most recent time she heard me call for her was a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't even home, yet she heard me call her name. Not once, but a couple of times.

My little boy, who is 11, has also heard "me" call for him. The thing I find interesting about it is my kids don't hear one calling for the other, just "me" calling for them. Does it worry me? No. I find it very interesting and just add it to the things that make life with our ghosts...intriguing.

You and your daughter aren't alone in this. But I will admit that neither of my kids have ever said I have called for them saying it was an emergency. If you don't keep a journal, I recommend that you do. Even if it's just a line or two documenting what your daughter says or does during the time this happens. Not only what she does, but anything that you think might mean something, especially what she has watched during the day. I, too, believe that if we can eliminate normal causes then maybe there is something paranormal going on. But always start with the normal.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-19)
vulcan10 and pjod
Re-read the post from turtlemom. She never said that her daughter could not move, she said that she would not wake up when she heard her father or sister call her name. Just a dream. She woke up when she heard her mother (still a dream) because she heard her mother say it was an emergency

Zetafornow,
I agree with you except for video games, television and movies. That is a blanket excuse for everything these days. It is up to parents to censor what children watch on television and movies and what video games they play. I was very diligent with this although my youngest still had bad nightmares, my children grew up well adjusted young adults.

Turtlemom,
You asked if your daughter,you,or anyone else in your family is in danger. I would say no. I think she is a normal sensitive little girl who may be looking for extra attention. Talk to her teacher, she may be struggling in class, or she may be having trouble making friends.
Please re-read my first post. What you describe is normal. The truth of the matter is the world is scary enough for adults with terrorists making threats, people going into theaters and schools killing people. Parents can't protect their children from hearing about these things. The next time your daughter comes to you and says she heard you calling her saying it was an emergency just soothe her and assure her it was a dream.
I do have a question. If your daughter said you called her and said it was an emergency why didn't she wake her sister up to go with her?
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-19)
I think the key thing here is... She could not wake up. Which means she was asleep when these events took place. Probably something psychological in her subconscience effecting her while she's asleep and waking her while she's still in rem and unable to move, on most occasions, except when she thought her mom told her it was an emergencey. Although, if you tend to jump to paranormal explanations for things, you'll find connections where there are none.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-19)
sleep paralysis- or some form of it, can cause you to hear things around you. I've had one episode, thought I heard my kids yelling, and the sound of a metal cylinder rolling in their bedroom. Forced myself to get up, only to find a quiet, sleeping house.
That period when we are just falling asleep can play tricks on the mind- visual and sound.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-19)
Interesting. Before I would look at paranormal for this I would take into account a couple of things. Consider how many times you have called her name... Thousand maybe more. Having had seven year olds, even older... I have had to call my kids names many times. So she is used to hearing your voice calling her name. It sounds as if she was sleeping and she has a history of bad dreams which is not abnormal for kids especially now days with the movies, video games and even cartoons that are geared toward adults also. She could have been having a bad dream and subconsciously woke herself up by pulling your voice into it.

I am glad that you told her you believe her but I wouldn't slip the paranormal into her vocab quite yet unless you have other things going on. About the old man sitting in the chair... Not sure. Could have been someone in the family peeking in on her. Could have been another bad dream.

All and all... Best to keep a watch on it and see where it goes. Keep us posted.

Zeta.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-02-19)
turtlemom
If she was asleep when she heard you call her name I would say she was dreaming. She said she has heard her sister and father call her but was unable to wake up but said she heard you say it was an emergency so she woke up.
This sounds more normal than anything else. Every child has bad dreams so I wouldn't worry about it unless they become bizarre. If that happens then take her to a doctor for a full checkup. If nothing is physically wrong then take her to a therapist. She may just be looking for some extra attention because she's feeling insecure.
It's a scary world these days especially for children. Try not to watch the news while she is awake or talk about terrible things that have happened with people while she is around. She might be a sensitive child in the normal way but doesn't want to show it in her waking state.
spooney (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-18)
As long as shes not hearing your voice telling her to do something bad, you should be fine. I would try smudging your home (girls room esspecialy) with sage. Sounds like your girls may have a gift. Wish I could help more. Sorry.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: