You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: My First Ghostly Experience

Real Ghost Stories

My First Ghostly Experience

 

I recently posted about some more recent experiences I've had dealing with my grandfather and mother who passed away, so I thought I would share the first experience I had with something that didn't seem quite right.

We lived in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio when I was between 2 and 10 years old. I can't remember exactly how old I was when this stuff was happening, but I estimate around 7 or 8.

Our house at that time was a colonial with a family room, living room, kitchen, dining room and den (where we had a piano) on the ground floor. All of the other rooms flowed into each other, but the den was in a corner of the house and had accordion doors separating it from the family room and the foyer. I was never "afraid" in the house, but something about that den spooked me. Especially at night, I had to make sure the accordion doors were closed if no one was in there. We also had an extra TV and Atari (remember those?!) in there, so sometimes my brothers would be in there and it was no big deal.

If I happened to be in the den practicing the piano, I made sure to keep the doors open. I would not stay in that room by myself with the doors closed.

My mom would sometimes ask me why I was "so funny" about the doors, and I couldn't really explain it other than to say I didn't like the den. One night I was doing my normal routine of closing the doors when I saw a bluish/white mist floating in the corner near the ceiling. All I could manage was a gasp, and I closed the door as fast as I could and ran away. After that I NEVER went into that room at night and could barely bring myself to go in at all to practice the piano. When I had to, I would practice as fast as I could and was always scared someone was going to grab me or tap me from behind.

I remember trying to tell my mom that I saw something weird in there, but she just kind of laughed it off. My mom believed in that kind of stuff, so I'm not sure if she really thought I was just being silly or if she didn't want to scare me by validating what I told her. When I brought it up again years later she said she didn't really remember it.

Is it possible for energy or something like that to manifest as a mist or like a cloud? Whatever it was, it was definitely weird and scared me as a small child!

Other hauntings by DestinyGirl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DestinyGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DestinyGirl (5 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
SmokenMirrors - Thank you for your response. Nothing specific that I know of happened in that room, but after I saw whatever it was, I felt like someone was watching me. And because I had to have my back to the room when I practiced on the piano, I always had a feeling that someone was behind me.

And it wasn't like this was some dark, isolated part of the house. It had a window out to the front yard, but it just "felt" dark. Not dark evil, just gloomy.
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
Hi DestinyGirl thank you for sharing that story. I hope the experience didn't disrupt your piano practice to much.
Back to your question, it is possible for energy to manifest itself as a cloud or mist. If this energy is paranormal, natural or a trick of the eye is open for debate.
It's possible that like an orb the mist could of been the first stage of an apparition.
Did anything else happen in that room that you know of?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: